Liverpool football club funds - Are we asking too much?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:40 pm

"We don't have a lot of money, so we need to use our imagination. And we will try to use our imagination to bring in players," explained Benitez.

At least me, I find this quote relevant.

If I may do some autocriticism, we've been shuffling names such as Joaquin, Simao, and mentioning amounts like 14M quid, 10 Million quid... which I find really really high.

Transfer funds can't be infinite, even less after the Houllier era. Alonso was expensive, but worth of it (IMHO).

My point is that Rafa does well looking for cheap quality. Cheap doesn't mean cráp. You always can target young players or players in last year of contract such as Victor. I think "austerity" is a good value. Specially if there's not incomes from a Merkin named Krafft (have we heard more about this?). What do you think? I think yes.

I also wanted to ask what's the funds state of LFC right now, in case some of you know more about it.

The point of the thread: discuss wether we should forget about expensive players, or buy quality players no matter the economic situation of the club or debts, as the most important thing is the squad.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:49 pm

we've got a new stadium to pay for and we are cutting our cloth accordingly, we have also sPent £10 mil? in this window, thats more than Chelsea. All seems pretty healthy & frugal to me.
Last edited by neil on Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:52 pm

Sabre, you will get lots of members who will reply to your post, and they will fall into the following catagories:

1)   Name droppers - people who wil lclaim to have sources within the club or media who know. Take no notice of these people.

2)   Total blaggers - people who just make it up as they go along and pluck figures out of thin air. Take no notice of these people.

3)   Sheep - people who will quote figures that they have read in the papers/internet/teletext or that they have heard name droppers or blaggers mention. Take no notice of these people.

4)   Honest John's - people who dont know and dont claim to know. Take note of these people as apart from those directly involved in the running and finances of the club no one else will be privy to that kind of information.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:56 pm

We have probably in the region of 10million to 15million to spend based on last years earnings, what we've spend so far and players we've been linked with, if truth be told, no-one really knows but i'd think that was an accurate guess. It would be a huge risk to spend that on one player though if i'm honest, i think thats the final step needed for us to challenge Chelsea.

However, i would now leave the squad to settle.

Reina, Carson.

Finnan, Kromkamp, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Warnock.

Luis Garcia, Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Hamann, Zenden, Kewell.

Crouch, Fowler, Morientes, Sinama-Pongolle.

Thats pretty impressive. Owen in for Pongolle and we'll be laughing. :D

To raise funds we need buyers for Traore, Dudek and Cisse.

Should net us around 8million... ish.

However. I still think we could use another YOUNG centre half as extra back up and a top class winger. I'd wait untill summer though for that. Let the squad settle then go out and get two top class additions. Then in my opinion, we'll have a squad which is easily capable of challenging (at least) Chelsea on a consistent basis.

We also have Hobbs and Barragan who are getting really good reviews.

We're in a really strong position now, the re-signing of Robbie was imo a great move and the right move. It was an improvement on what we have already for the right price and i genuinely believe now we're one right winger away. If we sign a good player like Bullard we'll be a hell of a team, if we signed Joaquin... well, i think we'd be one of the best ever Liverpool sides.

Crouch     Fowler
Kewell     Alonso     Gerrard     Luis Garcia
Riise       Hyypia    Carragher   Finnan
                    Reina

Subs for first 11.

Dudek
Carson

Warnock     
Agger     
Kronkamp

Zenden     
Hamann   
Sissoko   

Morientes 
Sinama

Nice...

Joaquin into the first team and drop Luis Garcia to the second string and we'll be in business. :)
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby kopite_1232002 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:00 pm

to be honest im not botherd, who ever rafa brings in i expect to be a huge hit, the only one that wasnt was josmi and he swaped him, unlike GH iv rafa makes a mistake he is the first to admit it,

as for rafa saying we dont have much money, mite not have, or it could be rafa playing his usual mind games, to trow the likes ov benfica who want stupid money for players

put it this way d rather hvea £5mill siging from rafa than a £10 mll signing from houlier

rafa has more scouts than the 5th birkenhead cub scout

YNWA                            lodge :eyebrow
kopite_1232002

Postby kopite_1232002 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:06 pm

stu_the_red wrote:We have probably in the region of 10million to 15million to spend based on last years earnings, what we've spend so far and players we've been linked with, if truth be told, no-one really knows but i'd think that was an accurate guess. It would be a huge risk to spend that on one player though if i'm honest, i think thats the final step needed for us to challenge Chelsea.

However, i would now leave the squad to settle.

Reina, Carson.

Finnan, Kromkamp, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Warnock.

Luis Garcia, Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Hamann, Zenden, Kewell.

Crouch, Fowler, Morientes, Sinama-Pongolle.

Thats pretty impressive. Owen in for Pongolle and we'll be laughing. :D

To raise funds we need buyers for Traore, Dudek and Cisse.

Should net us around 8million... ish.

However. I still think we could use another YOUNG centre half as extra back up and a top class winger. I'd wait untill summer though for that. Let the squad settle then go out and get two top class additions. Then in my opinion, we'll have a squad which is easily capable of challenging (at least) Chelsea on a consistent basis.

We also have Hobbs and Barragan who are getting really good reviews.

We're in a really strong position now, the re-signing of Robbie was imo a great move and the right move. It was an improvement on what we have already for the right price and i genuinely believe now we're one right winger away. If we sign a good player like Bullard we'll be a hell of a team, if we signed Joaquin... well, i think we'd be one of the best ever Liverpool sides.

Crouch     Fowler
Kewell     Alonso     Gerrard     Luis Garcia
Riise       Hyypia    Carragher   Finnan
                    Reina

Subs for first 11.

Dudek
Carson

Warnock     
Agger     
Kronkamp

Zenden     
Hamann   
Sissoko   

Morientes 
Sinama

Nice...

Joaquin into the first team and drop Luis Garcia to the second string and we'll be in business. :)

good post, u seem to no ur stuff,

i think your rite i think its time we pulled the plug on cissie. iv stuck by him all along but iv had so much :censored: this week in work from my mates aout the man u game,

he should ov scored, i think with fowler there we have enough cover upfront, and wiv flow playing well,

the money faised by cissie could go towards a decent RW, i still think we will get 8 mil + for him
kopite_1232002

Postby tubby » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:12 pm

Thats just Rafa putting it out there  becasue hes sick of everyone trying to hike prices on players hes after!!!! We have plenty of money but Rafa will only spend it if he sees fit. So far hes doing a good job isnt he?

And as a lot of people have rightly pointed out if we didnt have a lot of money we wouldnt be planning a new stadium.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:13 pm

So, according to what I read from leon's post, in England the clubs don't have to do an anual public report of the economic situation? here it's a must. Everybody knows hoy many is the debt of each club, because they must make public their situation annually, as any other enterprise.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Sabre wrote:So, according to what I read from leon's post, in England the clubs don't have to do an anual public report of the economic situation? here it's a must. Everybody knows hoy many is the debt of each club, because they must make public their situation annually, as any other enterprise.

The AGM meeting will be in February due to us going to Japan in December, its late this year, the financial situation of the club will be revealed then.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite_1232002 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:17 pm

Ciggy wrote:
Sabre wrote:So, according to what I read from leon's post, in England the clubs don't have to do an anual public report of the economic situation? here it's a must. Everybody knows hoy many is the debt of each club, because they must make public their situation annually, as any other enterprise.

The AGM meeting will be in February due to us going to Japan in December, its late this year, the financial situation of the club will be revealed then.

there was trouble last year wasnt there with moores and morgan ?
kopite_1232002

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:17 pm

But it wont and never has and never will state that X amount of pounds is available for squad development.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm

kopite_1232002 wrote:
Ciggy wrote:

there was trouble last year wasnt there with moores and morgan ?

Media whore Morgan tried to play the "loyal fan who came good" card and embaress the board but only succeded in embarrasing himself. Hopefully he has sunk without a trace.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:45 pm

Theres a big disgussion on another forum over Chelsea and Manures losses together they are around 160 million, Peter Kenyon reckons its bad now but it will even itself out in 5 years.
But i dont think it will TBH, Chelsea are not a fashionable club ok you might get glory hunters but most people hate them.
They will never be as successful as us or the mancs they just dont seem to me an attractive club duno what is it is about Chelsea but Ive never liked them they are just another club.

Man Utd reveal £12.3m profit drop

Manchester United made a profit of £46m for the year ending June 2005 - a drop of £12.3m from the previous 12 months.
United chief executive David Gill, who now reports to new owner Malcolm Glazer, attributed the fall in profits to a drop in television money.

Gill told BBC Five Live: "It's been a very profitable year for the club but, despite the drop, Malcolm Glazer is comfortable with the results."

United paid £2.2m to agents, including £1.5m to buy Wayne Rooney from Everton.

The club will officially announce the drop in profit on Monday.

Despite United going out of the Champions League in the group stages Gill is confident the club will report good figures for next year's results.

"The forecast for 2006 is very good but I am not going to predict profits will be over £50m," said Gill.

"But going forward, the new stadium expansion means there will be nearly 8,000 extra seats from the start of next season and the end of 2007 is looking very positive."

LONDON (Reuters) - Chelsea Football Club said it made a pretax loss of 140 million pounds for the year to end-June 2005, almost 60 percent bigger than the previous 87.8 million pound loss.

Chelsea on Friday put the loss down to a series of exceptional one-off items, including 25.5 million pounds arising from the termination of a contract with kit supplier Umbro and 24 million pounds from a write-down in the value of some players including Mutu and Veron.

"These figures reflect the continuing restructuring of the business which we began in 2003/4," Chief Executive Peter Kenyon said in a statement.

"The overall loss increase is, in the main, down to some exceptional items that were necessary in order to help us achieve our strategic business aim of break-even by 2009/10.

"In simple terms we have taken some pain now for long-term gain."

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news....APL.xml
Last edited by Ciggy on Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:56 pm

i know its been said before,Chelsea have lost nearly 220 MILLION over the last two seasons.......THAT IS FRIGHTENING but if that russian decided to pack it in.......what a state they will be in.
Last edited by drummerphil on Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:57 pm

Stu, I think that we have missed Garcia'a creativity and the extra edge up front. I think you do him a dis-service by relegating him to the second team

As for chelski, well the largest ever loss for a football club,  :D they better hope Abramovich don't get investigated, assets frozen, yachts and penthouses seized, and Stamford Bridge gates locked by the baliffs :D oh well stranger things have happened :D
Last edited by zarababe on Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion