Liverpool football club... - Without owen and gerrard.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:20 am

Right, Many people are reffering to how we would have been a relegation side had it not been for these two players last season. Firstly, i think people are bein over dramatic here but i can see where they are coming from.

Gerrard was immense and for long periods Owen was the ONLY goal threat.

However... what many of you seem to forget is part of the reason Houllier was suposedly sacked.

Over the last 2 years we have had a large number of players with exceptional talent who we have simply not seen the best of.

Firstly, Riise. A very athletic player who is capable of getting up and supporting attacks and scoring goals from the left back position. Since his first season he hasn't really produced. But this isn't really down to a lack of talent imo. I think Defensively he is now solid. He's improved alot in this area but i felt over the last two years we haven't seen the best part of his game and thats the box to box element which is what got him his reputation.

Finnan. Ok, he only had one season and was halfy half. We seen some promising things like his touch and ability to overlap and pass a ball, aswell as solid defending, but we also seen injury, inconsistency and a lack of confidence.

These two imo could both become VERY important players under the new manager, both modern fullbacks who can combine defensive and attacking abilities and imo two players we haven't seen the best of. I feel both were badly under used in terms of tactics by Houllier.  In all fairness to Gerard he seems to have had more success with central players rather than wide players.

Didi Hamann. For two years now he has become practically redundant. Gerrard does his job in his natural game therefore minimising Hamann's influence in a game. Didi is one of the best ball winners around but his skills do not compliment Gerrard's. He has similar strengths and with Gerrard pushing game onto another level recently it was inevitable Hamann's influence would decrease. He is still a class player however and his short distance passing and ball winning abilities are genuine quality.

Harry Kewell. Wonderfull player. Top class, absoloutely top class. However he only shown what he could do in fits and starts. Benitez likes to use wingers and i feel we'll see the best of Larry (personal joke) under him.  His pace and dribbling ability are superb and i can't wait to see him get to his best and i really think this will happen. Imo he's a better player than Vicente who was superb under Benitez for Valencia.

Vladimir Smicer and Milan Baros. Good players, maybe we might finally see some consistency under Benitez? Who knows? We've all seen what he does for the Czech Republic. Both are capable of raising there game.

say Owen and Gerrard leave... that still leaves us with:

Baros      Cisse
Kewell     Murphy    Hamann   ?_?_?_?
Riise        Hyypia    ?_?_?_?    Finnan
                    Kirkland

second string:

Pongolle      Mellor
Smicer    Cheyrou      Welsh    Le Tallec
Vignal      Traore      Henchoz  Carragher
                     Dudek

Which imo is still a strong squad and still capable with the right tactics of being a superb TEAM.

Kewell and Hyypia probably being the best players.
115-1073096938

Postby Supermarius » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:28 am

Its really tempting to jump in and disagree with that but at the end of the day who really knows? Under a new man ,we could be a different outfit altogether...life without Gerarrd....gutted if it is to be
Q: You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake, and a Manchester United Fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?

A: Shoot the United Fan. Twice.
Supermarius

Postby Stackman » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:37 am

I think your second string team just sums up hwo weak the overall squad is.  Maybe you would slot Carragher in alongside Hyppia.

Gerrard is an unthinkable loss, but unfortunately probably going to happen.

If somebody is prepared to pay £20M+ for Owen, I would say let him go.  I think Baros could well become hot property after Euro 2004, rather than Owen.  Is Baros going to be happy to come back and play second fiddle to Owen and Cisse?  I think Baros going would be a blow.

So if we can get £50M for Owen and Gerrard, so be it.  Maybe Benitez will use the money better than Houllier did to improve the squad overall.
Bill Shankly : "If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains."
Stackman

Postby greenred » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:55 am

I didnt read a word Stu wrote,it seems a waste of time.But Gerrard will be a massive loss,Owen less so.If we can get Damien Duff  plus 30million than i reckon we have got a good deal.Duff is a lifelong Liverpool supporter who doesnt give a sh.it about money.He is the best winger in the world and he would be a good swap for stevie.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:20 am

Don't worry who goes

THE FUTURE'S RED AND THE FUTURE'S BENE

Different set up to last season completely
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:25 am

You talk like Gerrard is irrepalceable when NO-ONE is !!!!! We replaced Keegan with Dalglish, Rush with Aldo , Souness with Molby, etc.....

A huge wad of cash plus a quality Chelsea player of the ilk of Duff or Parker plus the players Benitez is likely to bring with him from Valencia is not to be sniffed at .

Add to that Cisse already signed, kewell finding the form we know he is capable of and Baros getting a  decent run in the side
and it don't lok anywhere near as bad as you are painting it :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:58 am

Duff works for me, Dalglish.Ive watched that lad for years and he is a trier.He loves the club and he wont let us down.Duff cares about LFC more than Gerrard.I never thought id say that
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:01 am

Is he (Duff) IRISH by any chance ? LOL :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:12 am

you know he is Dalglish.He`s the best winger in the world.If we get him then i wont be as unhappy about steven.Especially if we get 30million on top.........
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:18 am

Just having a  laugh mate , albeit at your expense :p

I doubt we would get 30 milliion AND Duff especialy after they paid nearly half that amount for Duff only a year ago ? :O

In a situation where the Player (in this case Gerrard) wants to leave then it is vital we get the best possible deal but i think its unlikely we wil get Duff and that kind of money .......

It doesn't solve the midfield void left though ? Although i believe Benitez is bringing possibly 3 players from Valencia with him :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:33 am

Well im starting the campaign now.We want Duff.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:37 am

Do you think it will be more successful than your "We want Martin O'Neil" campaign !!!! :D

I think Duff's quality as well although been out with injury a little too much. Maybe just been unlucky but thsi shoulder injury he has had twice now , dislocation ? Cause for concern ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:23 am

If Owen goes....
Nice to see that Milan and Cisse(1st choice), Mellor and Pongolle(2nd choice)
1st choice good for EPL and CL. 2nd choice good for FA/league Cups and squad rotations to EPL.

If Gerrard goes....
needs to be replaced with a capable all round midfielder, ie: Baraja
An inclusion of a creative AM is needed. ie: Aimar or Nedved.

There's still a lack in depth, but so long as the 2nd choice developes. :)
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:58 am

Regardless of its impossibility (at least currently), Nedved is good choice.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:03 am

i recon that if they go for the kind of money that should be asked because if they do want to go we haqve got to be looking at £70 million at least for the two and if you think logically about that we can buy players who will do as good a job for the club.

Look at Valencia Bennie did wonders with a team that has not got an Owen Or Gerrard and they went on to win things it is about playing as a team. Owen's game is very one dimensional he is not comfy on the ball he has to run onto it and Shoot he cannot actually dribble past players ride tackes and Play with the ball at his feet like Henry can and because of that clubs (especially European clubs) where able to shut him out of games for most of if not all of the game. We need players who will add a new dimension to the attacking opptions(Cisse).

Looking at last season we stuggled because we where so one dimensional we could not create goals very easily and had to work very hard to win some games Injurys played a very big part in the bad season that we had and i think with Cisse and Baros loosing Owen to an Injury is not going to stop us where as last season with Baross out and only Heskey there we really struggled. (if he stays that is )
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion