Liverpool football club funds - Are we asking too much?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Effes » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:03 pm

I also think Rafa may be saying this stuff so as not to get ripped off.

By the Summer we could have up to £15M to spend (total guess), largely
funded by Champs League run.
Not sure what we got last year by winning it. I think we only get a small cut of the TV money aswell as we "qualified" after the top four.
I'm sure someone could clarify this?
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:08 pm

zarababe wrote:Stu, I think that we have missed Garcia'a creativity and the extra edge up front. I think you do him a dis-service by relegating him to the second team

As for chelski, well the largest ever loss for a football club,  :D they better hope Abramovich don't get investigated, assets frozen, yachts and penthouses seized, and Stamford Bridge gates locked by the baliffs :D oh well stranger things have happened :D

So Luis Garcia is a better player than Kewell, Gerrard, Alonso or Joaquin (or any other class right winger)? No!

Or even Fowler or Crouch? No!

No he's not. Should we break up one of the best back fours in the league?

Again, no!

So do you suggest we don't play a goalkeeper? No!

So in that case we must play 12 men... We aren't United.

Luis Garcia isn't good enough to start EVERY WEEK for a top 2/3 side that has amibitions to win everything. A good player, yes he is, a good goalscorer? Damn right, but a top class player? Do me a favour.
115-1073096938

Postby tubby » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:09 pm

Effes wrote:I also think Rafa may be saying this stuff so as not to get ripped off.

Not sure what we got last year by winning it. I think we only get a small cut of the TV money aswell as we "qualified" after the top four.

We already have now around 15 to 20M to spend. And by the summer assuming we get inot the semis we can lok to recieve another £20M. From start to finish of the Champions league you get £40m at least which is what we got last year.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:55 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Effes wrote:I also think Rafa may be saying this stuff so as not to get ripped off.

We already have now around 15 to 20M to spend. And by the summer assuming we get inot the semis we can lok to recieve another £20M. From start to finish of the Champions league you get £40m at least which is what we got last year.

Well, I've just seen that we got £30.9M euros last year off UEFA which is about £22M.
Then there's the TV money.

I'd heard that we wont get a good share of the TV money this time around.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:06 pm

why can we not get a good share of the tv money,the bitters never qualified for the group stages,so the tv money should be the same as last year
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:09 pm

I think I may have read it before the Villareal/Dinamo Bucharesti debacle.
So it may be tosh now.
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:13 pm

stu_the_red wrote:If we sign a good player like Bullard we'll be a hell of a team, if we signed Joaquin... well, i think we'd be one of the best ever Liverpool sides.

:Oo:

I assume then you've only been following the team since about 1992.

Don't get carried away, this current side is still not as good as the 1990 side, which was one of the poorer Liverpool teams to win the league.

We have the nucleus of a good side and fingers crossed, this is the second coming, the start of a new era. But really, we are MILES away from any of the great sides of the past.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby AlanHansen » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:40 pm

stu_the_red wrote:So Luis Garcia is a better player than Kewell, Gerrard, Alonso or Joaquin (or any other class right winger)? No!

Or even Fowler or Crouch? No!

No he's not. Should we break up one of the best back fours in the league?

Kewell, Gerrard, Alonso aren't right wingers so I don't know why you bring them into your point, and as for him going into the back four?.

Lay off the sauce stu.  :D  You're getting ridiculous
AlanHansen

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:01 pm

JBG wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:If we sign a good player like Bullard we'll be a hell of a team, if we signed Joaquin... well, i think we'd be one of the best ever Liverpool sides.

:Oo:

I assume then you've only been following the team since about 1992.

Don't get carried away, this current side is still not as good as the 1990 side, which was one of the poorer Liverpool teams to win the league.

We have the nucleus of a good side and fingers crossed, this is the second coming, the start of a new era. But really, we are MILES away from any of the great sides of the past.

what a :censored: stupid statement................this team dosn't compare with any between 74-89..........but its heading in the right direction and the champions league win was a bonus.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:03 pm

what a  stupid statement................this team dosn't compare with any between 74-89..........but its heading in the right direction and the champions league win was a bonus.

Perhaps not, but I think the opposition that Liverpool has now in England is much stronger than the one they had back then? In local leagues through out Europe , including the Spaniard, the "other"teams have improved and are more competitive, seeming that the big ones like Liverpool or Barcelona are not that strong.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:05 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Let the squad settle then go out and get two top class additions. Then in my opinion, we'll have a squad which is easily capable of challenging (at least) Chelsea on a consistent basis.

We're in a really strong position now, the re-signing of Robbie was imo a great move and the right move. It was an improvement on what we have already for the right price and i genuinely believe now we're one right winger away. If we sign a good player like Bullard we'll be a hell of a team, if we signed Joaquin... well, i think we'd be one of the best ever Liverpool sides.

Joaquin into the first team and drop Luis Garcia to the second string and we'll be in business. :)

If we sign Jimmy Bullard we will be a " hell of a team". Are you joking or what.

As JBG said, did you start watching football when the Premiership started or what ?

Clemence, Neal, Jones, Smith, Kennedy R, Hughes C, Keegan, Case, Heighway, Callaghan, McDermott.

Clemence, Neal, Thompson, Hansen, Kennedy, Hughes, Dalglish, Case (Heighway), Fairclough, McDermott, Souness.

Clemence, Neal, A.Kennedy, Thompson, R.Kennedy, Hansen, Dalglish (Case), Lee, Johnson, McDermott, Souness.

Grobbelaar, Neal, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Whelan, Hansen, Dalglish (Robinson), Lee, Rush, Johnston (Nicol), Souness.

Grobbelaar, Staunton, Gillespie, Hansen, Nicol, Molby, McMahon, Barnes, Houghton, Beardsley, Rush (Aldridge).
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:07 pm

Sabre wrote:
what a  stupid statement................this team dosn't compare with any between 74-89..........but its heading in the right direction and the champions league win was a bonus.

Perhaps not, but I think the opposition that Liverpool has now in England is much stronger than the one they had back then? In local leagues through out Europe , including the Spaniard, the "other"teams have improved and are more competitive, seeming that the big ones like Liverpool or Barcelona are not that strong.

sorry to disagree Sabre mate........but back then we were playing against a very good notts forest team 2 x european cup winner,Aston Villa european cup winner.English football dominated Europe for years.If anything the league was stronger then and with only 2 points for a win.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:13 pm

It was an overstatement.

But to suggest that we can't become one of the best ever Liverpool sides at present i think is underestimating whats happening.

Gerrard and Alonso would simply walk into every Liverpool side since time began. Fowler would walk into most.

We're already a solid unit. Before we signed Fowler we lacked a goalscorer and a right winger with class ability. We've now got a goalscorer.
115-1073096938

Postby BOODIDDY » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:19 pm

stu you dont think luis is good enough to start for a top 3 team? I respect your opinion, but your talking sh1t on that one. We have missed him, he is as good as cole, reyes, ronaldo. With luis there is an end product. i agree he is infuriating at times, but his skill and vision at times is sublime. Uefa team of the year along with gerrard aswell. Im sure the men who decide that know a little more than you.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:21 pm

stu_the_red wrote:It was an overstatement.

But to suggest that we can't become one of the best ever Liverpool sides at present i think is underestimating whats happening.

Gerrard and Alonso would simply walk into every Liverpool side since time began. Fowler would walk into most.

We're already a solid unit. Before we signed Fowler we lacked a goalscorer and a right winger with class ability. We've now got a goalscorer.

certainly was an overstatement lad but i admire your passion for the club in the steps we are taking.
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion