Kaiser chief - Dietmar hamann: a tribute

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby thegreedo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:09 am

Didi had the ability to keep his head while all around appeared to be losing theirs- sheer class!!

Apart from that he has become an honorary scouser as a result of many a visit to Matthew street. :bowdown

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coolsobs » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:08 am

i still hope he doesnt go
coolsobs

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:22 am

Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:I think that Didi Hamann has made our team in the last 8 years, there was a period when we were not concerned if Owen or Fowler was playing but if Hamann was.

No one can match the sheer proffesionalism shown by Hamann these 8 years, his dedication to our club, his presence in our team.

I wish him every sucess in the future and truly believe he will be a Kop legend in times to come.

I only wish he could come back as a coach and teach Momo the tricks of the trade.

Whilst I applaud everyones sentiments, and will miss Did like a brother, that statement is OTT and reminiscent of the "he was a great man" garbage that people spout when people die who they didnt like anyway.

I cant beleive any Liverpool fan would have looked for didi's name before Robbie or Michael considering hte hero worshiping that comes with strikers and goal scorers.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:14 pm

This is what I wrote about Didi Hamman after the horror tackle by  Essian..  It all still stands true.

Didi you will be missed

I would just like to pay hommage to Didi Hamman. 

This guy has won every trophy apart from the Premiership with Liverpool.

He works brilliantly for the team, never taking the headlines but just doing his job.

He reads the game as well as any other play in the league.

But most of all, the guy is a good honest pro, Essian of Chelsea is apparently being labelled as a "hard man".  All i can see is a player with undoubted skill who is finding playing in the hardest league in the world a bit too much like hard work. 

His tackle last night was, a tackle made by a coward, who is always going to be compared to "the one that got away", our very own Steven Gerrard.  and to be honest he loses out in every way against SG.

Hamman is the true hard man who gets up and plays the full 90 minutes after a tackle that could have ended his career if his weight had been on the other leg.  Not only that but he polietely tells the interviewer after the game on ITV "you just have to get on with it"

Didi, you are a true gent, a fantstic player, a real hard man, and, in my opinion, an Anfield Legend....

... Essien is not fit to lace your boots
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:45 pm

At the end of the day Didi was an unsung hero for us. Like Leon says strikers get all the credit because they score the goals. The truth is Hamann has been brilliant for us during his time here. He was a great professional, never dived, never tried to get anyone sent off. Just did his job and did it well. Hamann just got on the ball and calmed everyone down, he always found someone in a red shirt. People often don't acknowledge hamann's part that he played in the F.A. Cup final against West Ham and in the European Cup final. When things looked impossible, he came on and changed the game, sure he didn't score but him coming on let Gerrard free and he got the goals and lifted the team. When behind against West Ham, he did the same. Just calmed everyone down.

People compare sissoko to hamann. I think that the best thing momo should do if he wants to be like hamann is just to watch him play. Watch what he does, breaks up the play, puts in a tackle, protects the back four and chips in with the odd goal. The guy is really superb.

Not only is hamann a good player, he is also a nice guy. I once saw him in Tescos, shopping with his family. I asked him for his autograph and even though with his family, he didn't hesitate in signing his autograph. He was really nice to me aswell.

If he  doesn't stay, we will miss him, as the song goes 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone'

Thank you Didi

Good Luck

YNWA :)
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:41 pm

It's a cracking tribute St.mick although i thought you had left your plagerising days behind you!

I'm gutted that Didi looks to be leaving the club. It's a tough call between Didi and big Sami to call who was Houllier's best signing at the club and i think that probably says everything about him. A classy player who makes football look so easy, it still seems crazy to think that when the club's back was against the wall in those 2 incredible Cup Final comebacks it was the game changing introduction of Hamman that turned the tide our way. I don't get to many live Liverpool games but i won't forget the 'goal of the season' he cracked into the top corner of the Anny road end against Pompey a few seasons back or the thunderous volley he stuck past Man City at their place a couple of Christmas' ago.

I'm still baffled as to why Rafa is letting him go? Didi is still perfect for this club. Stevie, Alonso and Sissoko will see most of the playing time this season so having an experienced player on the bench who is happy to wait his chance and sit the big games on the bench makes sense to me. seems unlikely but i'm hoping Rafa has a change of heart.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:59 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:I think that Didi Hamann has made our team in the last 8 years, there was a period when we were not concerned if Owen or Fowler was playing but if Hamann was.

No one can match the sheer proffesionalism shown by Hamann these 8 years, his dedication to our club, his presence in our team.

I wish him every sucess in the future and truly believe he will be a Kop legend in times to come.

I only wish he could come back as a coach and teach Momo the tricks of the trade.

Whilst I applaud everyones sentiments, and will miss Did like a brother, that statement is OTT and reminiscent of the "he was a great man" garbage that people spout when people die who they didnt like anyway.

I cant beleive any Liverpool fan would have looked for didi's name before Robbie or Michael considering hte hero worshiping that comes with strikers and goal scorers.

How is that over the top.

He was one of our more important players, he was an intergral part of our defence and it was mention many times that we were not as defensivly sound as we usually were if Hamann was not playing.

You have a short memory if you dont remember that.

Plus take a look at my name Im a goalkeeper fan and know exactly how important hamanns role was in our defence in previous seasons.
Last edited by Reinas No.1 Fan on Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:37 am

I would have liked to see didi stay for another year, but that seems unlikely now. He was a great servant to this club and was always a consistent peformer and rarely let the team down. I wish all the best for the future.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:10 am

I think Liverpool would have kept him on the books and indeed he may have found himself as a starter at some point next season. Unfortunately he wanted more regular football (especially since he has retired from international football) and I cannot blame him for that.

I always respected what he did for the team.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:49 am

Hamman will be 1 of very few foreigners that will be loved in our hearts as much as Home grown players i.e Carragher and Gerrard

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:52 pm

Didi , one of the liverpool greats  a player that could change games and affect everyone around him

a professional on and off the pitch, stevie g can never speak highly enough about him in any tv interviews i have ever seen, and that is a mark of how good he is

agreed i don't think he will ever get the plaudits he deserves

but in momo we have the ideal replacement

the kings is dead long live the king ( or something like that)
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:46 pm

We'll miss you Didi. Steadying influence, thorough going professional and great servant of the club.

Wish you could have stayed and been a mentor to Momo but understand the reasons why you're going.

Good luck Kaiser and may the future bring you many many more memories and successes. You'll always be welcome back and I pray that you do at some point in whatever capacity. Thanks for all the memories....

YNWA
:bowdown
ConnO'var

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:10 pm

What a player. Just an absolute model of consistency, simplicity, professionalism and class.

I must admit I remember raising an eyebrow at the fee paid to Newcastle for him, but what an absolute bargain he's proved to be over the years. Sissoko may turn out to be a hell of a player, but even after his outstanding debut season, he's still got a mountain to climb to fill Didi's boots.

Many thanks for everything - I just wish you were a few years younger so that you could get the Prem winners medal you're missing. :D

And Rafa - once his boots are hung up for good, with the way he breaks the game down to its simple essentials, if he's not coaching material I don't know who is.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:14 am

Hamann What A LEGEND :) sad to see him go :(
Kopite-Jud

Postby RedorDead » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:16 am

It's all been said...superb player and great lad and Liverpool will miss him. Momo has some boots to fill that is for sure.
All the best Didi, thank you for so many truly magnificent performances and thank you for Istanbul. You won't ever be forgotten.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion