Dietmar hamann - Should he be in the first team?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:33 pm

ok, it's a massive eight days coming up for us. arsenal at home tomorrow in the league, manure on saturday in the fa cup and benfica away next tuesday in the CL last sixteen.

with regards to selection in central midfield i just wandered if you would keep hamann in the side at the expense of sissoko for the run of games coming up. i rate sissoko and think the lad will develop into one hell of a player, but can he really be relied upon in games of such magnitude? if it was up to me, i'd be tempted to play hamann in these games and use sissoko from the bench.

do you agree or not? saturday's game against wigan just re-emphasised to me hamann's importance in retaining possession and providing a calm head when we're under pressure.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:39 pm

If we need a cool head id use hamman first at the moment to be honest. Hamman may not be the most exciting player but he gets the job done and he is very efficient, a true german.

i do like sissoko but we are gonna need all 11 players against arsenal and i wouldnt wanna see him sent off for something rash
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:47 pm

I think yes what about you... :D

I'd definately keep him in there. He done well the other day and hardly ever gives the ball away which is something you can't say about Sissoko, against the better sides thats crucial. He always plays well against the better sides.

Sissoko's done really well so far, I just think giving Didi a few games at the minute while Alonso's a bit off colour won't do our team any harm at all.
115-1073096938

Postby Sarge » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:53 pm

i rate both players but didi is definitely the man.
however, against a physical orientation team like arsenal we need a strong character like momo.

wise man didi and bad ar.se sissoko, i really wish we could field them both.
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:57 pm

Sarge wrote:against a physical orientation team like arsenal we need a strong character like momo.

arsenal aren't physical in midfield anymore. in many ways that's been their downfall this season. they get bullied out of games by inferior opposition.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:59 pm

Besides the point you comment about retaining the ball, I stress his destructive abilities, he always manage to put a tackle that aborts a pass, he's clever making fouls, I like that player. IMHO I'd give him a go before Sissoko, or at least, I'd use him as much as Sissoko.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:03 pm

I think Hamann should definately keep his place.
He is tactically one of the best players in Europe STILL.
He knows his limitations and wont get caught up the field like Momo might do.
I think for this week to be a success we should play the same side when possible, especially in defence and midfield.
Obviuosly Robbie cant play on Saturday, but i would start kewell hamann alonso and Gerrard for these games if all are fit.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:13 pm

I was lamenting his lack of time on the pitch a couple of weeks ago.  Didi is a very effective player - he's a bit like a ref. in that if he has a good game no-one notices.  I wouldn't necessarily use him for two games a week because of his age, but I'd give him more time than he gets now.

Didi Hamman - hero of Istanbul.
:cool:
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:30 pm

I agree with the comments about Hamman over Sissoko. But I would say that Sissoko has a lot of potential and will benefit greatly from training and watching Hamman. He's shown enough, especially in his early matches, to suggest he's at least able to be Hamman's successor.

Clearly Sissoko has reached a plateau and needs a rest. But I for one am confident he will be a great player in a year or two, as Hamman gets too old.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby inglis5 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:37 pm

Yep, gotta agree. Hamann should play in both of the upcoming games against Man u and Arsenal.

Although Momo has been tremendous for us this season he is still young and relatively inexperienced (especially for a central midfielder). In such potentially explosive games can he yet be trusted not to get himself sent off?

The two main threats from each team (Henry and Rooney) like to drop into the hole between defence and midfield, we need somebody to act as protective cover in that area. Hamann is currently better at that job than any other player at the club (possibly the country).

In my opinion his discipline and experience mean that he should definitely get the nod over Momo.
inglis5

Postby al fan since sixties » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:38 pm

No question about it; it has been suggested on here that he is over the hill; however, I would disagree.

In the next three matches, his calm, safe passing will be invaluable to the team; and you can bet that Sami and Carra will want him in front of them. Didi was my man of the match against Wigan, especially in the 2nd half when we were under pressure.

These games are so vital and it's so important to hold the midfield; to give the ball away like Sissoko and Garcia are inclined to do, could be catastrophic against teams of the quality of Arsenal and Man Utd; Hammann must play.
al fan since sixties

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:41 pm

I prefer Hamann to Sissoko if Im honest and Ive been feeling a bit let down that he hasnt even made the bench the last few weeks.
I know Sissoko is only young but he has my nerves gone that he will get sent off, I think Sissoko will play tomorrow though, its not that Hamann doesnt deserve to keep his place but Arsenal are very pacey.
IMHO Hamann should be saved for Benfica next week, Gerrard also plays better when Hamanns in midfield, and Xabi is a bit out of sorts at the  moment, but out of Hamann and Momo the kaizer all the way.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:09 pm

would agree with all. Hamann for his reliability, passing, retaining of the ball... the list goes on.

Sissoko is a fine player but can be careless and miss-time some tackles ( he went through a stage of 4 yellows in 5 games or so). I think he will be an awesome midfielder, but at the moment he still has a lot to learn - just might be risky playing him for this run of games.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:44 pm

The thing Hamman does better than any other player (including Carrick at Spurs) is executing the simple things right. He breaks up play effectively which, allows the remaining midfielders to play a with greater freedom higher up the pitch. I for one have criticised Alonso this season because as brilliant as he is, he plays from far too deep for me at times. With Hamann alongside him, it should give him licence to influence things in the oppositions final third as we saw him doing last season. The goal against Arsenal last season is a prime example of this.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby gato_busta » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:49 pm

I think Didi should be given a good share of games. I like Sissoko but he needs to get his act together. He has started 33 games this season, he already has 11 yellow cards and one red card. Maybe he should see Hamann for a couple of games, try learn or emulate something from him.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion