Kaiser chief - Dietmar hamann: a tribute

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:42 pm

So it would seem that a glittering Liverpool career will be coming to an end in the next few days if reports are to be believed.

Didi Hamann surprisingly does not receive many mentions outside Anfield when the most influential imports are debated. Maybe it's just because the guy has gone about his business in an unfashionable way. He doesn't really say a lot. He just does his business on the pitch. If you ask me, despite what others may argue, no other foreigner has been as important to his side as this guy has for us over the past 8 years.

He may lack the style of Dennis Bergkamp, Gianfranco Zola or Thierry Henry, the mystique of Eric Cantona or medal-winning prowess of Peter Schmeichel, but he has been involved in some of the most memorable moments in recent English history. Infact you could argue that the triumphs of Istanbul and Cardiff earlier this year would never have happened but for the German's calming influence and ability to keep the ball at vital moments. Two big finals, two big shoot-outs, and twice Hamann has been asked to open up for Liverpool. The pressure must have been massive in the Ataturk and in the Millennium, but Hamann delivered.  Coolly, calmly, Hamann set the tone for Liverpool's triumphant shoot-outs.

At 32, Hamann can be caught out by the pace of the modern game yet he remains a steadying presence as events in Istanbul and Cardiff confirm. Arriving at half-time against Milan with Liverpool trailing 3-0, Hamann allowed Steven Gerrard to raid upfield to epic effect. With shades of Bert Trautmann's neck, Hamann broke his foot in Istanbul but played on. Brought on after 71 minutes against West Ham with Liverpool losing 3-2, Hamann again anchored and Gerrard thundered in that remarkable equaliser.

Any celebration of Hamann cannot be limited to an analysis of his footballing virtues. Jamie Carragher describes him as "your typical old-fashioned English player" because of Hamann's love of gee-gees, banter, and golf. He even shouts at the telly when players dive. Few foreigners have earned the deep respect and popularity of English colleagues as Hamann. I still find it staggering to this day that he was left out of the Germany squad for the World Cup.

So as we focus on England in Germany, it is worth celebrating a German in England. Hamann deserves greater recognition from the public - but he has the admiration of his peers, and respect does not come greater. I'm sure all Liverpool fans wish him all the best at Bolton (as long as he doesn't score against us). :D

:bowdown
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:02 pm

I have always been a massive did fan and always said so on here. Af ew years ago when Viera was getting all the press in the world i was 'bigging up' Hamman,m saying that altho he was silent and never heard in the press he was in fact doing all the work for us defensively, well not all the work, but you kno wwhat i mean. the opta stats also had him way ahead of viera in quite a few aspects. Now im bnot saying viera wasnt world class, but did was ignored by all when he was infact a complete genius for us and helped players like gerrard get forward as much as they did

I'll be first in the queue to wish didi all the best with whatever he does in the future
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:07 pm

Legend, and over used word, but a truly apt one in this instance.

Houllier took him off in the Champions LEague and we went out against Leverkusen.

Rafa brought him on in Turkey and we robbed a result.

Rafa relied on his steadying influence again as we robbed the Hammers in Cardiff.

Top bloke, will get a rousing reception when/if he comes back with Fat Heads Trotters.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:08 pm

Hamann is one of my favourite players, I've never been a person that has been overally impressed with tricks and fancy flicks, I've always been more impressed with the players who can make a big difference by doing the basics of football and that's why I like Hamann a lot. It's ashame that many spectators of football praise the flash players rather than the reliable players and I don't think I've found a player more reliable than Hamann. As you say he just comes on and does his job, he keeps it simple and is therefore so effective. He has shown no signs of decline and it's shame that he's leaving. I may sound too sentimental but I'm of the opinion that Hamann should of been able to retire at Liverpool and play more matches, but obviously that doesn't seem to be the case.

Hamann has showed loyalty that is somewhat rare these days and if it wasn't for him, I don't think we would of won in Istanbul or won at the Millennium stadium. I'm sad that he's gone and this example of Hamann leaving shows that you don't know what you have until it's gone.

I hope Hamann plays well for Bolton, I wish him well. :)
48-1119859832

Postby 2520years » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:09 pm

I totally agree St Michael, though I'm still in denial that he's leaving (and will be for a few months after he's gone!)  I think he does get the credit he deserves among fans, management and team-mates, but sadly not among those outside.  My opinion of Big Sam has gone up though, he knows a bargain when he sees one.  I hope Didi scores a 35-yard screamer against us at the Kop end next season (as long as we still win the game).

All the best Didi, I'll miss the way you used to constantly jog around the centre circle.
:)
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby babu » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:10 pm

st mike, awesome tribute to Didi Hamann.

All feckin true and more. the man has been a rock, and even at his age he will offer a lot to any team. Very sad his time is up.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:12 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Legend, and over used word, but a truly apt one in this instance.

Houllier took him off in the Champions LEague and we went out against Leverkusen.

Rafa brought him on in Turkey and we robbed a result.

Rafa relied on his steadying influence again as we robbed the Hammers in Cardiff.

Top bloke, will get a rousing reception when/if he comes back with Fat Heads Trotters.

not blowing wind up ur fat ass but thats why people should listen to what you say, and not what they think you mean.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:45 pm

Unsung hero gets bandied about a lot but in this case its a very apt title.
Right to the end even his departure gathers hardly any headlines
Still in denial and it wont change until i see it formally announced on official site.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:19 pm

Excellent tribute St Mike, just as it was the first time I read it in FourFourTwo magazine :laugh:

For the full article see Henry Winter's column on page 31 of the July Issue... I knew I'd read this before but couldn't remember where.

Hamann is a legend though and I'm sure he'll get a great reception if he ever returns to play against us at Anfield :nod
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clik » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:24 pm

immense player and Houlliers best buy along with Sami, he will be a legend amongst us forever more
hope he returns in some sort of coaching capacity.
All the best Didiman
Dreams do come true......Istanbul 2005
clik

Postby davo_LFC » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Hamman is a legend and he was a bargain at 8mil. Pity he wont be able to complete his medal collection ,with the premiership being the only medal he hasnt won with us, if he leaves. Great fella aswell and i wish him all the best. Top player, liverpool legend.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby Alonso14 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:19 pm

Kaiser = The Emperor. Says it all really.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:51 pm

Great player, great professional, great nose! :D

If this is to be where Liverpool and Hamann part ways, I wish Didi all the best.  What a wonderful servant he's been to Liverpool FC.

I still can't believe he struck such a sweet penalty kick in Istanbul, under tremendous pressure, with a broken foot.  Legend! :buttrock
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:59 pm

The Liverpool website is surrently running 100 players that shook the Kop. When voting, I included him in my top ten - thats how important I rate him.
Hamman has been awesome since he came. I can't ever recall a game when afterwards, I've said "Didi was cr@p today" - it just never happened.
Hamman could go two months without getting a game, and then come in when called on and play at his usual high level.
The guy's an absolute legend, and without him we wouldn't have won the treble or the Champions League.
:bowdown
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:04 pm

...........and he scored the last goal at Wembley!
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion