Academy coach says future is bright - Do you believe him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:06 pm

Liverpool Academy coach Dave Shannon insists the future is bright with regards to the young talent that is coming through the ranks of this club. 

Shannon believes there has always been a steady flow of exciting young players at the Academy and remains as optimistic as ever, despite the fact seven under-19 players are being released at the end of the season.

He's a realist who knows not every boy will make it to the first team, like Mellor, Welsh and Otsemobor have done recently, but he's excited at the quality that keeps emerging.

"We've always got talented players at this Academy and I think the talent we've got coming through is exciting," says Shannon.

when you look at the facts, our two WORLD CLASS players both came through our academy along with jamie carragher. when i look at our squad i don't think we have got the blend right between young english talent and foreign players. i personally don't see the youngsters getting a look in anytime soon. what do you reckon?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kewell's left boot » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:15 pm

I think the acadamy is really important to the club. It won't be long before teams can't affoard to go out and buy players and they will have to depend on those that they bring thru the acadamy. Does anyone go to watch the kids playing and where do they play.
Kewell's left boot

Postby Woollyback » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:20 pm

Agree with you there St M. Just about all our best players over the last decade have been home-grown and for me that's the best way. Just look at the backbone of Manure for the last decade.

I don't know what the hell's going on with the Academy, it cost the club a fortune but seems either a) It ain't producing much talent or b) (more likely) It's producing talent which GH passes over in favour of some unheard of Fench kid who he thinks will miraculously take the premiership by storm.

I say give some of the local lads a go, they've probably got more passion & drive in their left little toe than half the senior squad put together.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby claypigeon » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:21 pm

i just hope they get their chance and houllier doesn't keep filling the first team up with average overseas signings.
claypigeon

Postby NorrisGreenBoy » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:24 pm

claypigeon wrote:i just hope they get their chance and houllier doesn't keep filling the first team up with average overseas signings.

I'd be happy if he signed 'average' overseas players, not the c**p he has been signing.
NorrisGreenBoy

Postby waccer » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:45 pm

We will have to develop our own talent - no big money signings when we fail to qualify for the CL.
waccer

Postby JohnBull » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:46 pm

Forget about the cr#p written. The Academy is capable of producing a good Liverpool side but a arrogant boss at Melwwod feels happier signing second rate French lads who he can "control" easier than a cocky scouse lad.
As long as that idiot Parry maintains the influence over Moores and Houllier the state of affairs will continue.
Come the REVOLUTION !!!!!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:54 pm

I don't believe what David Shannon said about it, I heard that before, why he said that again, More than month ago they got rid of 11 players, because of Arrogant Houllier want more French Kids, he brought French kid last summer, what his name...oh yes it is Carl Medijani, have you all seen him yet, is he any good? I havn't see him yet.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_rebel » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:10 pm

The Futures Bright The Future's White - Works :)
The Futures Bright The Future's Orange - Works :)
The Futures Bright The Future's Red - SORRY! :( :(
red_rebel

Postby kenco » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:17 pm

any academy is only as good as the person in charge, if he's blind he see's nothing. :angry:
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion