Fernando morientes - Past his sell by date, time to move on

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Jari's mullet » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:00 pm

I agree with Drummer Phil, we should get Dean Ashton, he can play the role Moro is meant to be playing better, he is a very intelligent player who reminds me of Sheringham.  He scores goals, has proved himself in the Premiership and would be available for comparitively cheap, 7m or 8m maybe.
Jari's mullet

Postby drummerphil » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:04 pm

Jari's mullet wrote:I agree with Drummer Phil, we should get Dean Ashton, he can play the role Moro is meant to be playing better, he is a very intelligent player who reminds me of Sheringham.  He scores goals, has proved himself in the Premiership and would be available for comparitively cheap, 7m or 8m maybe.

we would get him for less than 5million sure of it......Norwich didnt pay much more than 1.5m
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jari's mullet » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:11 pm

At £5M thats represents good value for a player with so much to his game.  He has played well for the under 21s as well.  Like Sheringham, I don't think he is exceptionally quick, so has developed his other skills well.  He always has struck me as someone with an old head on young shoulders, the way he appreciates the space around him and brings others into play.  And he has the ability to hit the back of the net as well.
Jari's mullet

Postby zarababe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:52 pm

Morientes has been putting in MoM perfromances.. what is this thread about :O
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:57 pm

Never thought Moro would be a top player for us, I think we've only seen about 30% of his quialty, but I think he'll only reach about 60% in England.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:11 am

This thread is :censored:

Moro has been putting in top class performances. It makes me think some of you people don't even follow the games. Morientes has been scoring, doing little flicks that actually come off, tackling back. He has got used to english football now.

Sure he has lost pace but who doesn't at his age. I hate all that age bashing aswell, like once a player hits 30 or above its time to sell them. Its sh*te. I think many players have their best years in their 30's.

Moro is a top player, always has been, always will be.
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:24 am

Morientes never had much pace, so I'm not sure why people harp on about that so much.

If Morientes has the motivation he can prolong his career well into his mid 30s as he is in the Teddy Sherigham mould: excellent in the air and very clever in the build up play.

I know we haven't seen him deliver on a consistent basis for Liverpool but I'd be inclined to give him more time. He has certainly come on in leaps and bounds this season and if he stays injury free, there is no reason why he cannot build on this going into the second half of the season.

One thing I have identified under Benitez is that if players can stay injury free, they will gradually improve under Benitez. The prime example of this is Steve Finnan, who had a very disjointed and turbulent first season at Liverpool under Houllier. Under Benitez his injuries cleared up and he is now one of our most consistent performers. Another example (hopefully) is Harry Kewell, who has certainly seen an improvement in his game in recent weeks.

Even last season Benitez was able to coax some good performances from Igor Biscan.

If Morientes can stay injury free he'll come good for us yet. There is a refreshing element to Benitez' management: when players are played regularly they eventually come good.

There's life in the old dog yet.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby red37 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:27 am

JBG wrote:There's life in the old dog yet.

thats why he should stay

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:31 am

Even last season Benitez was able to coax some good performances from Igor Biscan.

Unfortunately couldn't do the same with diao, there again who could? :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:56 am

JBG wrote:Morientes never had much pace, so I'm not sure why people harp on about that so much.

If Morientes has the motivation he can prolong his career well into his mid 30s as he is in the Teddy Sherigham mould: excellent in the air and very clever in the build up play.

I know we haven't seen him deliver on a consistent basis for Liverpool but I'd be inclined to give him more time. He has certainly come on in leaps and bounds this season and if he stays injury free, there is no reason why he cannot build on this going into the second half of the season.

One thing I have identified under Benitez is that if players can stay injury free, they will gradually improve under Benitez. The prime example of this is Steve Finnan, who had a very disjointed and turbulent first season at Liverpool under Houllier. Under Benitez his injuries cleared up and he is now one of our most consistent performers. Another example (hopefully) is Harry Kewell, who has certainly seen an improvement in his game in recent weeks.

If Morientes can stay injury free he'll come good for us yet. There is a refreshing element to Benitez' management: when players are played regularly they eventually come good.

There's life in the old dog yet.

Totally agree.

Also, this is the WORST time to start a thread like this, especially since El Moro has been playing so damn well recently.

I think Morientes still has an important part to play here at Liverpool, no doubt about it.

It is clear he is finally adjusting to the Premiership, and his extraordinary experience is invaluable.

30 is NOT old for a footballer at all, come on people, he was voted the Champions League MOST VALUABLE PLAYER only 18 months ago....It's nothing really, not a long time ago at all....He didn't just become a rubbish player over night....

Morientes still has a lot to give.

He was never purchased by Benítez to be a 20 goal a season striker, simply because he has never been that, Benítez isn't dumb, but he looks at the bigger picture.

Anyone who has watched all of the Liverpool's games in which Morientes has featured in this season, will see how much he adds to the team....a really fantastic footballer who will enjoy lots of success with us over the next few years.

Cheers.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion