Fernando morientes - Go out and support the lad.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tidusuk123 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:59 pm

Morientes is only playing because Rafa probably promised him first team football in order to get him - and although he has done very well in the past, the performances at Liverpool have been disgraceful. It looks as if though he doesn't want to play football. He only gives about 20% on the pitch. His work rate is what is letting him down. We all know that pace is not his game, but when does he ever run at all? I'd rather see Niel Mellor playing up front than him!

Although I think Rafa is a good manager, he has let me down by sticking by players too much who haven't been performing. Morientes doesn't even try because he knows that even a shitty performance will most probably guarantee him a start in the following game.

If Cisse does leave then I think it would be very unfair because it should be Morientes that should be kicked out of the team.

As for Zenden, I think he has lost some of the spark he had when he was younger, now he just seems like an ordinary winger - with poor technique, poor pace and acceleration, and absolutely disgraceful crossing...Err, aren't those the things essential for a winger?

I think Liverpool need to quickly get rid of Morientes (although I doubt anyone would even want him), and buy two pacy wingers (can't trust Harry to last more than a few games before another injury) who can cross the ball. Then we can challenge for the title because right now, Liverpool as finishing 4th or worse.
tidusuk123

Postby whylongball? » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:42 pm

i think the problem with him not scoring is partly due to the fact that he has to play upfront alone in Benitez's system. Give him more time!And DOnt sell Cisse
whylongball?

Postby red37 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:16 pm

morientes seems to do well when gerrard is there to "push" the team forward.. i noticed last night he became deeper and deeper in order to collect the ball himself, as we were pushing for the equaliser. then of course he's tackled and...... something he shouldnt need to be doing anyway.

when the play is pushed further on. nando seems to be best suited to the 'hole' and some of his contributions to link up play are still world class.  his role as striker in my view of him is:

1. should be getting on the end of crosses

2. does what garcia is TRYING to do. ie flick ons/chest ons/head ons/little dinked through passes etc etc..

this is how he is best played. maybe with owen in the team we might get to see this more often?

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby zarababe » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:05 pm

tidusuk123 wrote:Morientes is only playing because Rafa probably promised him first team football in order to get him -

.. what is this .. all of a sudden we have a manager who can't persuade ppl to join unless he promises them starts.., we have a manger who can't be trusted to pick the side and we have a manager who is selling his best players...

I give up on this place.. ppl need to get a grip.. some ppl just don't know how to handle success  :no

Respect the Boss.. Rafeal Benitez, European and Super Cup Champion .. the Special One  :hearts
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tidusuk123 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:19 pm

others just don't know much about football
tidusuk123

Postby BOODIDDY » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:22 pm

its all well and good supporting the lad through thick and thin but there comes a time when moro needs to do something for us to get behind him. His light at Madrid was fading fast, i believe that at monaco he was good but not sensational. Fans can help players when they see that they are at least trying, but imo moro lacks a will to toil through a match, he seems to be going through the motions. I mean when he came gerrard was over the moon with his capture but ive seen gerrard once or twice shake his head at moro for being so lazy and wasteful. The lad is not the same player as he was  years ago.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GunGod » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:39 am

"that moro cant cut it. he doesnt suit pool's style."

thats the commonn feeling around here now.

but heck, from the way the midfield's playing, even RVD won't score!

if u want to blame, blame the whole team, dont make a scapegoat outta nando.

if cisse/baros had been firing all cylinders, then we can say that probably moro has only got himself to blame. but hell, in the 2 epl games none of our strikers scored. and u pple blame moro n hail cisse?

geez, some pple just cant see things beyond the surface.
GunGod

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:21 am

If rafa is looking to offload anyone?..then he needn't look any further than morientes! he is giving us nothing that we dont already have, he seems to find it difficult to adapt to the prem, and his pace has gone. I would also think about offloading josemie, and mellor..leave cisse alone i think him and owen would make a great partnership up front.  :nod
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lfclfclfc » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:52 am

If Nando "is not suited to Liverpool's style of play", is it a matter of getting rid of him? or to rethink how we play? Nando is a player who plays best in the hole, bringing the players around him into the game. He has an intelligent football brain and thrives on movement, link-up plays.

Thus far, our team performance has unfortunately been rather static and unimaginative. Gerrard does his usual marauding runs, alonso spraying his passes, zenden left ot do his job on the left with little support, hyypia pumping long hopeful balls up front, finnan his solid but hardly threatening self, right flank non-existent, garcia with his flicks and shots to no-where.. This accounts for the cumbersome win at sunderland, the 'how-on-earth-did-we-not-win' game at boro (apart from the misses), and the 'lets-pump-the-crosses-in-and-hope-for-the-best' supercup final.

I know I should be looking at the positives, mentioned a lot of times here. Sure, that's why I am trying to see if Nando could be better deployed before branding him a flop.
lfclfclfc

Postby Houllier=LFC » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:03 pm

Wingers who are capable of getting past opponents and delivering quality crosses into the box are what we need. But as usual, morientes is always missing in the 2nd half.
Houllier=LFC

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion