Fernando morientes - Past his sell by date, time to move on

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:58 pm

As our 10 game winning streak came to and end yesterday i was still amazed by the progress that the team has been making since the Fulham game. I always knew that we were capable of beating anyone on our day but problem last season was a lack of consistensy and a lot of injuries. Im a fan of crouch and Cisse but to stick Sinema in like that yesterday against one of the tougher sides was harsh on the lad.

There is no doubt that Fernando Morientes is a world class player having one pretty much evey major club trophey you can think of but it seems to me that hes either past his best or not suited to English football. Ok so hes scored some nice goals but Crouch has already scored more than Morientes has this and last season when he arrived. But when he plays we can see he lacks pace, he doesnt compete for areial ball the way he should beacsue we know heading is one of his big strengths he always say im nearly fit or something similar. And now this knee injury keeps taking hium out at important times. I might be wrong but i think thei knee injury has been re occuring ever since he got here. I wish i could say that "yes yes once hes fit hell be kocking them in left, right and centre" but I dont think he will. With Cisse having scored 14 with half the season to go and Crouch cementing his place in Rafas style i think that only leaves Morientes. Im not triying to be harsh on the lad beacsue ive always been a great admirer of the player but i just think its time to go with some younger fresh blood and im sure there are teams around Europe who would want Morientes especially back in Spain or even Italy.

Id like toi know what the rest of you think on this topic beacsue im sure its something some of you have been thinking about.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:03 pm

its a shame. moro was, imo. just starting to make some impact. he will never be the player of years gone by. but neither would i want to see him go yet.. remember sheringham? litmanen? even bergkamp. im not saying he is exactly that kind but he can do a similar role i feel.
though like you say bav. these 'niggles' do seem to crop up regularly.  :(

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:05 pm

Its just that when things are going good you know something is going to go wrong and we have some big fixtures in the coming weeks and cant afford one of our main strikers to be injured especaily going inot the next round of europe. I just hope Rafa brings in some reinforcments in the next few weeks.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:12 pm

you'd like to hope he will bring in a striker  ??? we havnt heard the 5/6 striker speech for a while now rafa. it'd be interesting to hear what he thinks now, with morientes struggling again.

we need a 'fox' in the box i think. and i dont mean that jug-eared freak, jeffers  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby drummerphil » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:18 pm

quite simply we need Dean Ashton
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:20 pm

andy johnson  ???

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:26 pm

I disagree, but I said loads of times what I think about him, so I don't want to become like my respected Aussie friends. We'll talk at the end of the season. I've bookmarked this thread in my favourites page, and will post then! :;):

BTW, I disagree the same way I disagreed the people bashing Crouch when he wasn't scoring, I defended the lad, because he played well. And I think Moro is not playing badly. In fact he's been regularly (not always due to rotations)playing  in the incredible winning streak.

We'll talk about this again in may or so! (btw, I reckon he's not seriously injured, is he?)
:;):
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:27 pm

just for a moment i thought i had posted this thread, sounds like one of mine, thank god it was someone else :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:29 pm

I think Sinama will go in search of 1st team fottball and not on loan wither. I realluy dont see him turning into a 15 goal per season striker after one loan deal in France or Spain. Dare i say Michael Owen? I did metion earlier that perhaps we should try to secure the services of Theo Walcott.  Someone definatley not Spanish. Ima  big fan of Alonso and Garcia but i dont think Striker wise theres anyone in the market that could do the business up front. I think someone from Eastern or Central Europe, like Lukas Podolski or Rafael Van Der Vaart. Dutch and Scandanavian strikers have more than oftem managed to do the business in the EPL. Just look at players like Van Nisterooy, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. Playes from these parts of Europe are not very silky but know how to get the job done and are naturally physical which suit the needs of the EPL. To mention a few, Sammi Hyypia, Stephann Henchoz, Henrik Larsson, Jari Litmanen, Arjen Robben ect..........

Latin players are more silky and cannot compete physically with the other player 100% of the time. Luis Garcia epitomises this. He a very silky player who at times can be perfect and score wonderful goals but at others hes wanting in posession and fustrates. Alonso on the other hand has a good balance of both skill and physicality but i think this is down to him arriving at a young age therfore Rafa was able to mould him properly. Garcia on the other hand is already well into his playing style. Im not saying he will but im going to predict that our reserve youth Beslan Idrizaj comes good out of all our recent aqquisitions.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:30 pm

Sabre wrote:I disagree, but I said loads of times what I think about him, so I don't want to become like my respected Aussie friends. We'll talk at the end of the season. I've bookmarked this thread in my favourites page, and will post then! :;):

BTW, I disagree the same way I disagreed the people bashing Crouch when he wasn't scoring, I defended the lad, because he played well. And I think Moro is not playing badly. In fact he's been regularly (not always due to rotations)playing  in the incredible winning streak.

We'll talk about this again in may or so! (btw, I reckon he's not seriously injured, is he?)
:;):

No i think he should be back in the squad for Luton/Spurs

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:34 pm

Rumours are around thah we are going in for Defoe... Now I would love to see him playing in a Liverpool shirt.  Especially as he has a point to make to Sven at the moment.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:36 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:Rumours are around thah we are going in for Defoe... Now I would love to see him playing in a Liverpool shirt.  Especially as he has a point to make to Sven at the moment.

Where have you read this, i havent heard any such rumors?

Although hed def get the thumbs up from most on here

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:37 pm

Morientes will be 30 in april so imo as a striker his best years are behind him, although recently he has been showing better form and I'm happy to see him in the squad ,especially for our european games .Will be interesting to see what Rafa does with him in the summer .I  can't see him keeping Morientes for more than another full season.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby primodua » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:38 pm

rumour says that joaqin is really coming. Is that true?

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Postby pablinho » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:44 pm

Morientes will score soon and the thread will die :)
CD Castellon - Spain
pablinho

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion