Fernando morientes - Past his sell by date, time to move on

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:44 pm

primodua wrote:rumour says that joaqin is really coming. Is that true?

Where did you hear this, firts Defoe now Joaquin. Damn i love these rumors. The reason Morientes plays good in Europe is beacsue hes not playing against English clubs (unless he is actually playing an English Club LOL). I believe England is the most physical league in the world. Rafa himselfrealised this when he first came and although i dont critisice him for signing nando im sure he knows deep down its time to sell him whilst we can still get something for him. Betis are Rumored to have wanted him to save their Relegation woes. Just have to wait and see.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:49 pm

Just read it now, wow Larsson and Defoe. Makes sense. I can only assume that Pongolle and Morientes/Cisse will make way.

How reliable is this Hawkmoon
Last edited by tubby on Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:09 pm

Where has this thread come from??

FFS Morientes was playing some good stuff before he got injured there, seems a strange time to start a thread saying we should get rid of him.

He's not reached the heights we thought he would since he signed, but he's had his share of niggling injuries and arrived in a quicker paced league than he was used to at the same time as his pace was starting to go.

Having said that I'd still keep him.  He's a very intelligent player, links well with everyone around him and has great awareness.  Although his pace isn't great he still has quick feet and he was looking a lot sharper before he got injured, probably due to an extended run of games with a regular partner - Crouch.  He wants the ball all the time now and he's coping better with the physical side of the premiership.

He's never going to be the same player he was at Madrid as quite simply he's not quick enough now.  But is he past his best?  I'm not so sure.  He's in the process of adapting his game much like the likes of Bergkamp and Shearer had to do when they slowed down, but he could have some good years ahead of him if we keep faith with him I feel.  The guy has too much class about him, you can see it every time he plays and sooner or later it will all come together and much like Crouch he will hit a purple patch.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:48 pm

john craig wrote:Where has this thread come from??

FFS Morientes was playing some good stuff before he got injured there, seems a strange time to start a thread saying we should get rid of him.

He's not reached the heights we thought he would since he signed, but he's had his share of niggling injuries and arrived in a quicker paced league than he was used to at the same time as his pace was starting to go.

Having said that I'd still keep him.  He's a very intelligent player, links well with everyone around him and has great awareness.  Although his pace isn't great he still has quick feet and he was looking a lot sharper before he got injured, probably due to an extended run of games with a regular partner - Crouch.  He wants the ball all the time now and he's coping better with the physical side of the premiership.

He's never going to be the same player he was at Madrid as quite simply he's not quick enough now.  But is he past his best?  I'm not so sure.  He's in the process of adapting his game much like the likes of Bergkamp and Shearer had to do when they slowed down, but he could have some good years ahead of him if we keep faith with him I feel.  The guy has too much class about him, you can see it every time he plays and sooner or later it will all come together and much like Crouch he will hit a purple patch.

i agree with you john, he is probably playing as well as he has ever played for liverpool and his neat touches in and around the box keep the opposition on their toes.
he has also grafted his @rse off as well.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Erica » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:03 pm

bavlondon wrote:As our 10 game winning streak came to and end yesterday i was still amazed by the progress that the team has been making since the Fulham game. I always knew that we were capable of beating anyone on our day but problem last season was a lack of consistensy and a lot of injuries. Im a fan of crouch and Cisse but to stick Sinema in like that yesterday against one of the tougher sides was harsh on the lad.

There is no doubt that Fernando Morientes is a world class player having one pretty much evey major club trophey you can think of but it seems to me that hes either past his best or not suited to English football. Ok so hes scored some nice goals but Crouch has already scored more than Morientes has this and last season when he arrived. But when he plays we can see he lacks pace, he doesnt compete for areial ball the way he should beacsue we know heading is one of his big strengths he always say im nearly fit or something similar. And now this knee injury keeps taking hium out at important times. I might be wrong but i think thei knee injury has been re occuring ever since he got here. I wish i could say that "yes yes once hes fit hell be kocking them in left, right and centre" but I dont think he will. With Cisse having scored 14 with half the season to go and Crouch cementing his place in Rafas style i think that only leaves Morientes. Im not triying to be harsh on the lad beacsue ive always been a great admirer of the player but i just think its time to go with some younger fresh blood and im sure there are teams around Europe who would want Morientes especially back in Spain or even Italy.

Id like toi know what the rest of you think on this topic beacsue im sure its something some of you have been thinking about.

Have you really seen the last three League matches that Morientes has played in the starting team? If you have, and still think we should get rid of Moro is that you don't have a clue about football. This is the nicest thing that I could tell you after reading your post.
Erica

Postby Kukilon » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:22 pm

I agree with Erica. Oki he may not be in his old form but he has still been good enough.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby mighty mo » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:25 pm

to harsh bavlondon,he has playing well this last month
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:30 pm

bavlondon wrote:Just read it now, wow Larsson and Defoe. Makes sense. I can only assume that Pongolle and Morientes/Cisse will make way.

How reliable is this Hawkmoon

where did you read that??

not in this thread, is it, or am i blind??

hawkmoon is cool , bav ole bean
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:33 pm

He hasnt even been here a season yet, and in that season he has had a lot of injuries but he has still scored. Admittedly he took a lot of time to get going this season but up until his recent injurie he was playing well.

Why should we get rid of him, its just a stupid thing to say.

Plus I just got his name on the back of my new champs league shirt
Last edited by Reinas No.1 Fan on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jammydodger » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:33 pm

I think we're best holding onto Morientes until the summer atleast, with his age and perfomances of late, not to mention him being cuptied i doubt we'd recoup even half of what we paid out for him.

I'd like to see Morientes return to some form, and like Rafa did with Kewell, i think the main issue is his conditioning. with us already playing good football i'd like to see Moro have some serious physio and improve physically so that when he comes back he won't be picking up these little niggles left right and centre.
jammydodger

Postby banana » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:36 pm

I think Morientes should go back to spain when the season ends. He is not doing enough and he is on the wrong side of 30. We should be looking for a little more in a striker than Morientes is able to deliver.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:42 pm

Hes 29 banana.

Hes 30 in april.

Players can still go on way into there 30's, Look at bergkamp he was still playing as arsenal won the title when he was much older than Nando.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:01 pm

My gut feeling which I've voiced a few times on here is that Morientes won't do the business for us on anything like a regular basis. I accept he's a class player with a wonderful touch, and there's no question he has played his best football since his arrival at Anfield recently but if it was me, I'd listen to offers at around 4.5 million.
That's not to say lets get rid, because we are not exactly blessed with strikers but I'd listen if anybody came knocking. I have similar reservations and FWIW would put a similar if slightly lesser price tag on Ping-Pong aswell to tell the truth. There is no question in my mind that of the component parts in our team, it is up top where we are at our weakest.
I said a while ago that signing someone like Crespo would totally transform the mantra of our team. A few said they didn't rate him which is fair enough if wrong in my view. Most said Chelsea wouldn't sell him to us which is spot on now Mourhinho has worked out that he scores in pretty much every game he plays. Some said they'd prefer Ashton which I wouldn't necessarily agree with but he's not a player I'd dismiss. Nobody though to the best of my knowledge said we don't need Crespo, we've got Morientes. Ultimately, that's the point.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:49 pm

Fernando Morientes  as been world class but i think the best years behind him shame we didnt get him eariler
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:00 pm

He is not the player he was in his early 20's but he has a made difference on the pitch in recent months when he's played. I don't think we should get rid of him.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion