Young reds

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby andy_g » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:01 pm

i've spent a bit of my leisurely saturday morning watching some of the reserves footage form the official site. if anyone has an e-season ticket and hasn't yet had a look at some of these lads i highly recommend it, there's some real talent to be seen. in particular i'd recommend the highlights of the recent game against wolves - an outstanding performance by barragan and excellent performances by calliste, potter, whitbread and idrizaj.

obviously we're talking about a very different level of play from the premiership and some very young lads, but there's a real look of confidence about many of them and some smart football. i'd particularly like to see barragan and calliste blooded in a league cup game at least or preferably come on for the end of a game we already had sewn up in the prem. especially considering our lack of natural width at the moment i'd say we're crying out for giving barragan a test.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:18 pm

the futures bright the futures red
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:28 am

Dudek made a successful return in the reserves, Callisted and Whitbread scored the goals against Wigan.[2-0]

Full report

Champions League hero Jerzy Dudek had a fine game on his return from injury as a young Liverpool Reserves side produced an excellent display to beat Wigan Athletic 2-0 at the Robin Park Arena.
Liverpool scored a goal in each half through Zak Whitbread and Welsh Under-21 international Ramon Calliste to secure the victory.

Wigan fielded experienced Republic of Ireland international striker David Connolly in their attack but Liverpool's young centre halves did really well. Godwin Antwi, 17, played his first match for the Reds in his favoured position of centre half and was excellent alongside Danny O'Donnell.

Wigan also fielded experience at the back with a centre half pairing of Brazilian Emerson Thome and former Everton defender Matt Jackson.

The Reds opened the scoring after the half hour mark when Zak Whitbread found the net with a powerful header from a David Mannix free-kick.

Wigan had chances in the second half as they searched for an equaliser but Dudek was sharp and made some great saves.

Liverpool sealed the win after 74 minutes when Ramon Calliste scored his second goal of the season. Darren Potter's through ball found Calliste who rounded the keeper to score the second goal for Liverpool.

Liverpool Reserves: Dudek, Raven, Whitbread, Antwi, O'Donnell, Hobbs, Potter, Mannix, Calliste (Nardiello 84), Idrizaj (Peltier 54), Guthrie (Hammill 39). Unused subs: Willis, Smith.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:38 am

Sounds pretty good for the future. The reserves are doing really well considering the fact that the only starting player over 21 was Dudek. (The lineups have been very young all season aswell).

Infact, thats fricking awesome.
:D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:34 am

This is great to hear, it hopefully indicates that Rafa is intending on remaining in Liverpool for a pretty long stretch of time. And it should onyl be a matter of time before these youngsters break through to the top side.

As said by a famous Liverpudlian "IT WONT BE LONG yeah YEAH yeah YEAH yeah YEAH........."
:cool:
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:02 am

Sabre wrote:
It's interesting how we're working with the youngsters and how we're trying to get them to improve. I.e. Hobbs, the young centerback, is playing as a central midfielder because we want him to improve his attributes in certain areas.

Interesting concept. To be honest it's the first time I know of that kind of work. It's a common thing done there for years, or is it a new method? Of course I've known dozens of players who played in a position when playing for Real Sociedad youth system, and then ended up in another position when reaching the first team, but I haven't heard of putting a player on different position on purpose.

SOunds interesting, because playing  in the midfileld can help the player to learn to play the ball with ease, not using the senseless kick to forward when he's pressed and so on.

SAbre

Jamie Carrager was played in center midfield when he was younger.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:09 am

kazza wrote:
Sabre wrote:
It's interesting how we're working with the youngsters and how we're trying to get them to improve. I.e. Hobbs, the young centerback, is playing as a central midfielder because we want him to improve his attributes in certain areas.

Interesting concept. To be honest it's the first time I know of that kind of work. It's a common thing done there for years, or is it a new method? Of course I've known dozens of players who played in a position when playing for Real Sociedad youth system, and then ended up in another position when reaching the first team, but I haven't heard of putting a player on different position on purpose.

SOunds interesting, because playing  in the midfileld can help the player to learn to play the ball with ease, not using the senseless kick to forward when he's pressed and so on.

SAbre

Jamie Carrager was played in center midfield when he was younger.

Not sure that was as a result of some coaching alchemy though Kaz. I think they just didn't know what his best position was. One of the scousers on here posted up once that he was actually a striker as a young lad and a very good one at that. Come to think of it I think Leon played with him or against him or something.
This is quite a new one on me putting lads deliberately out of position to work on a different aspect of their game. Sounds like a good idea as long as Hobbs doesn't learn a couple of bad habits while playing in midfield (leaving the ball to be attacked by somebody else from set-pieces, overplaying in dangerous areas etc etc) and in so doing forget how to be a good centre-half.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:41 am

The reserve side is pretty interesting this season, they're sitting 3rd in the reserve league at the moment, and considering they must have the youngest average age in the league that's fantastic.

Massive improvement on last season already when the reserves came bottom or pretty close to it.

Looking forward to seeing some of these guys in the domestic cups this season.  Surely a couple of these guys at least will make the step-up to the first team in the next few years.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:49 pm

Pako and the rest of the coaching staff have turned around the reserves. We finished last in the reserves last season and now we are 3rd.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:43 pm

Our under 18s are doing well too......  Anybody know if there is another owen or fowler in the making playing for the < 18s ...?

http://liverpoolfc.co.za/groupee....1043961

Liverpool's high flying Under-18 team kept up the pressure and closed the gap on Academy leaders Blackburn Rovers yesterday when John Owens side beat Crewe Alexandra U18 3-1 at the Kirkby Academy. Blackburn managed a 2-2 draw away at Manchester United.

The Reds are in second place in the table and now only one point behind leaders Blackburn who they travel to on November 5th.

Liverpool drew 0-0 with Bolton Wanderers last Saturday but had enough chances to have won the game.

Liverpool Under-18 manager John Owens said: "It was obviously a tight game. I kind of felt we weren't firing on all cylinders in the attacking third. We did have chances but nothing too clear-cut. It was always crowded in and around the box, with very little room about.

"We certainly didn't deserve to lose. We didn't get our football going in the first half and they just edged it. But in the second half we were the better team. But really if you can't score goals that (a 0-0 draw) is bound to be the result."

Before yesterday's games the Academy league table was as follows:

1. Blackburn W7 D1 L1 22
2. Liverpool W6 D1 L2 19
3. Stoke W4 D4 L1 16
4. Everton W4 D4 L1 16
5. Man City W5 D0 L3 15
6. Man Utd W4 D2 L3 14
7. Bolton W2 D6 L1 12
8. Crewe W2 D5 L2 11
9. Wolves W1 D3 L5 6
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:03 pm

Hopefully we will get to see some of these guys in action against Palace this week. Ill be very interested, hopefully Rafa will mix them in with some senior players. He said Gerrard might play, and he will put out a good team.

Im partiucalrly interest in Ramon Calliste and Antonio Barragan. I think both have the possiblity in starting.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:34 am

Barragan is injured so he will not be playing.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:56 am

Wanna see how hammil & that austrian winger (forget his name) perform against palace.....

Adam Hammil is getting rave review for his performances for the reserves this season.......
Last edited by The_Rock on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion