"the young ones" - What next for them?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JoeTerp » Fri May 08, 2009 1:48 am

Owzat wrote:How do you see the future for the following players? Will it be at Liverpool? Will they be a key player, regular starter, regular sub, regularly not seen or even loaned out? Are those who've been loaned out this season any more or less likely to be kept/sold than their young peers?

EL ZHAR : Age 22 (DOB 27/08/1986)
08/09 : 14 Premiership appearances, 0 goals

LETO : Age 22 (DOB 30/08/1986)
08/09 : loaned to Olympiakos (work permit issues)

BABEL : Age 22 (DOB 19/12/1986)
08/09 : 25 Premiership appearances, 2 goals

LUCAS : Age 22 (DOB 09/01/1987)
08/09 : 23 Premiership appearances, 1 goal

HAMMILL : Age 21 (DOB 25/01/1988)
08/09 : loaned to Barnsley

PLESSIS : Age 21 (DOB 05/03/1988)
08/09 : 1 Premiership appearance, 0 goals

ANDERSON : Age 20 (DOB 23/07/1988)
08/09 : loaned to Notts Forest

HOBBS : Age 20 (DOB 18/08/1988)
08/09 : loaned to Leicester, possibly moving permanently

LINDFIELD : Age 20 (DOB 07/09/1988)
08/09 : loaned to Accrington Stanley

DARBY : Age 20 (DOB 06/10/1988)
08/09 : 0 Premiership appearances

SPEARING : Age 20 (DOB 25/11/1988)
08/09 : 0 Premiership appearances, 0 goals

INSUA : Age 20 (DOB 07/01/1989)
08/09 : 8 Premiership appearances, 0 goals

NEMETH : Age 20 (DOB 15/01/1989)
08/09 : loaned to Blackpool

N'GOG : Age 20 (DOB 01/04/1989)
08/09 : 11 Premiership appearances, 2 goals

KELLY : Age 19 (DOB 27/04/1990)
08/09 : loaned to Huddersfield

PACHECO : Age 18 (DOB 05/01/1991)
08/09 : 0 Premiership appearances, 0 goals

You don't have to do an analysis for each player individually, you can group players if you think a few will play the odd Champions League game or make it to the Premiership bench from time to time.

I've ordered them by age, oldest first. If nothing else that will give you an idea of relative ages of some of our younger (fringe) players. Those in red have played for the 1st team this season. Insua is a week older than Nemeth, Insua has made a few appearances for Liverpool this season and Nemeth hasn't. N'Gog is 2.5 months younger than Nemeth. If you throw in Martin (23) then you could probably make a decent XI, but with only 82 Premiership appearances between them of which Babel, Insua, Lucas, El Zhar and N'Gog account for all but one. Some have more time on their side than others.

El Zhar - not much of a future IMO. Maybe, could see us keeping him one more year in a role similar to the one he had this year, but if we sign a wide player of quality, its over for him.

Leto- who knows if he will ever get a work permit, he isn't even that young anyway.

Babel maybe could be decent, but I think he needs to move on to a new scene if he wants to improve Hopefully we sell him now before his value falls even more.

Lucas - I think his future at the club as a lot to do with Barry coming in. I can't see him seeing the pitch hardly at all if we brought in Barry.

Hammill - has a decent shot of ousting El Zhar for the El Zhar role, and also has some talent to him to impress when he comes on. The big knock on him has been consistency, which I am sure would not improve with inconsistent appearances.

Plessis - took a major step back in his form for most of the reserve campaign, but came on strong the last month after Itandje got suspended (coincednce?). Was thinking just get rid of him, but he may be worth loaning out to see what he does.

Anderson - pacier than Hammill more consistent as well, but a little less flair and he can probably only play on the right while Hammill can operate on either wing.  Its hard to tell exactly who is the best out of Anderson, Hammill, and El Zhar, but its probably worth keeping the best of the bunch.

Lindfield -  NO CHANCE

Darby - probably needs a season on loan of regular first team lower league level. Is a very good defending right back, very reliable at reserve level.  His highest hopes however would ultimately be to serve as our RB cover and as long as Arbeloa is our starting right back, I don't see that because it seems like the aim of the fans is to bring in a RB that is better than Arbeloa and then move Arbeloa to 2nd choice. This would make Darby third choice and not really needed

Spearing - needs some loan experience. Certainly is fighting an uphill battle in central midfield.

Insua - should be 2nd choice LB next season pushing for 1st choice.

Nemeth - a lot depends on what we do in terms of bringing in cover for Torres. I would guess we would send him on loan.

N'Gog - see Nemeth, only with a better chance of being involved in the 1st team and with more physical skills.

Kelly- needs more loan experience but has one of the most legit shots at making the step up in the future.

Pacheco - keep him developing under our own watchful eye at reserve level for the first 6 months, then send him on loan for the 2nd half of the season, maybe he can be on the bench in 2010/2011
JoeTerp

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion