Young reds

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:52 pm

Here's an article from LFC.tv for those who haven't read it yet.

It's interesting how we're working with the youngsters and how we're trying to get them to improve. I.e. Hobbs, the young centerback, is playing as a central midfielder because we want him to improve his attributes in certain areas.

Barragan is a right-back but is playing as a right-winger because he will probably play in that position in the first team and so on.

Hopefully all of them will make an impact here with us.

Paco Herrera on the six youngsters recruited in the summer...

Jack Hobbs

Jack is a centre-half, but we want him to spend a full season playing as a central, holding midfielder. In a year he will be a fantastic centre-half and we are preparing him for the future by playing him in a role which will test his speed, ball control and coordination much more at this stage of his development.

Ramon Calliste

He is a very quick player and someone we believe has a chance of going all the way. The area he needs to work on most is his decision making on the field.

Antonio Barragan

Antonio can play right midfield or right back. We are playing him in midfield at the moment because we are forward planning given the needs of the first team. Antonio has already had a chance in the first team because he was used as a substitute in our Champions League qualifier.

Godwin Antwi

Godwin is way ahead of the rest physically. He even beats some of the first team players in this area. He needs to work on the tactical and technical side of his game. We feel he has already made good progress.

Besian Idrizaj

He is a very intelligent player, but we need to do a lot more work with him. He has come to us from a league which is less competitive than England. He is going through the process of adapting to a quicker game, but has all the qualities you need as a forward.

Miki Roque

Miki has progressed very quickly. He has aggression, is very quick and good in the air and I think his qualities will be well suited to the English game. He is a responsible lad but needs more maturity as a player.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby mighty mo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:52 pm

as anyone got the reserve,s league table to post
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:56 pm

mighty mo wrote:as anyone got the reserve,s league table to post

I dont think its upto date, but this is off the official site

LEAGUE TABLESFA PREMIER RESERVE LEAGUE (NORTH)   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Home Away   
# Team P W D L F A W D L F A Pts GD
1 Manchester City 6 3 1 0 6 2 1 1 0 4 3 14  5
2 Middlesbrough 6 2 1 0 8 2 1 1 1 5 3 11  8
3 Liverpool 5 1 1 1 5 5 2 0 0 4 2 10  2
4 Aston Villa 6 2 1 0 4 2 0 3 0 4 4 10  2
5 Everton 6 1 1 1 2 2 2 0 1 4 4 10  0
6 Manchester United 4 1 0 1 2 2 2 0 0 5 0 9  5
7 Newcastle United 5 1 0 0 3 2 1 1 2 4 5 7  0
8 Birmingham City 6 1 2 0 5 4 0 1 2 3 6 6  -2
9 Blackburn Rovers 5 0 2 0 5 5 1 1 1 3 5 6  -2
10 West Bromwich Albion 5 0 2 1 2 3 1 0 1 2 2 5  -1
11 Sunderland 4 0 0 1 0 3 1 1 1 6 6 4  -3
12 Leeds United 5 0 0 2 0 3 1 1 1 5 5 4  -3
13 Wolverhampton Wanderers 4 0 0 2 2 4 1 0 1 1 1 3  -2
14 Bolton Wanderers 4 0 0 3 2 7 1 0 0 1 0 3  -4
15 Wigan Athletic 5 0 0 3 3 7 0 1 1 2 3 1  -5
Last updated at 15:15 on Friday 23 September 2005

Sorry its hard to read, thats the way it pasted off the site....if you go on the official site and just go into league tables...there is a drop drown where you can view the reserves or youth team tables.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:31 pm

It's good to see the reserves doing so well after last years debacle.
I'ts also good to see so many youngsters coming through - it shows that Rafa is thinking long term.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:42 pm

Considering the amount of rookies we are using in the reserves, they are doing very well.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:04 pm

I'm very excited about our youngsters, it makes me feel very secure about the future, i'm curious though about the lad Calliste and why he was let go by United? I hope it comes back to bite them in the a/rse.
RedRoots

Postby bigmick » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:11 pm

RedRoots wrote:I'm very excited about our youngsters, it makes me feel very secure about the future, i'm curious though about the lad Calliste and why he was let go by United? I hope it comes back to bite them in the a/rse.

Well he'd be by no means the first player to be released by Manure to subsequently make it. Peter Beardsley and David Platt are two brilliant players that spring to mind. The speed with which his contract was picked up by Liverpool suggests to me that there may have been a disciplinary question mark rather than one of ability with the young fella.
The trouble is with these young players that the success rate is minute in terms of conversion to first team regular. If you offered the Anfield management team the possibility that just one of the six players mentioned in Herrera's very interesting appraisal would go on to become a top player then I reckon they'd probably take it.
Unquestionably though, proper and sympathetic handling does increase the chances and we do seem to be at least trying to m ake the situation a lot better than before.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:21 pm

It's interesting how we're working with the youngsters and how we're trying to get them to improve. I.e. Hobbs, the young centerback, is playing as a central midfielder because we want him to improve his attributes in certain areas.

Interesting concept. To be honest it's the first time I know of that kind of work. It's a common thing done there for years, or is it a new method? Of course I've known dozens of players who played in a position when playing for Real Sociedad youth system, and then ended up in another position when reaching the first team, but I haven't heard of putting a player on different position on purpose.

SOunds interesting, because playing  in the midfileld can help the player to learn to play the ball with ease, not using the senseless kick to forward when he's pressed and so on.

SAbre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:57 pm

i quite like the lad townley
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:03 pm

This is good news indeed. At last, after a very long time, the youngsters are improving and am sure they will make it to the first team much sooner than later.

The technique in which the management team are working with the youngsters sounds fresh. I'm quite sure that this will produce very good technical and intelligent players for the future.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:14 pm

That paco guy seem a very thorough sort of guy!
Raffa and him seem to have it all down to a science,it's only a matter of time to we see the benefits of all their hard work behind the scenes!!
Young exciting prospects in great hands  :nod
66-1120597113

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:14 pm

i'm curious though about the lad Calliste and why he was let go by United?

Manchester Uniteds got rid of their  U-20[not exactly sure which group] youth side, which is where Calliste played in. Atletico Madrid  did this a couple of years ago with one of their  youth teams, and one of the players that was let go was Raul.  :D
Last edited by A.B. on Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:36 pm

Seems like we're chasing after yet another youngster.

Sky Sports
Arsenal and Liverpool's interest in Southampton starlet Theo Walcott has been confirmed.

The two Premiership giants are reported to be heading the chase for the 16-year-old, while Chelsea and Manchester United are also said to be interested.

Right winger Walcott, who made the breakthrough into the Saints' first team this season, is already being heralded as one of the most talented players for his age anywhere in Europe.

Now the England youth international's agent, Warwick Horton, has confirmed that both Arsenal and Liverpool have expressed an interest in Walcott.

"There is truth in the story that Arsenal and Liverpool are very keen on Theo," revealed Horton.

"But for the moment he is a 16-year-old lad who's quite happy at Southampton.

"He's had seven first team opportunities coming off the bench this season which is more than he would have thought at this stage."

"He would probably not have had as many if the club was still in The Premiership, so in the short-term playing for Southampton is not a problem to him."

Horton admitted that the lure of The Premiership is a huge one for his young charge.

"He's an ambitious lad and wants to play in The Premiership and at some point that will be with Southampton or someone else," he told the Southampton Daily Echo.

"If the club are promoted he would be delighted to play for them next year and hopefully that will be the case.

"But if one of the big clubs was to come in with a substantial amount of money and Southampton decide to let him go he would be very flattered to speak to clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool."

Has anyone seen this kid play?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby bring_back_biscan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:42 pm

Yes, looked a good prospect. Skilful, quick, bit like Aaron Lennon.
bring_back_biscan

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:02 am

Sabre wrote:

Interesting concept. To be honest it's the first time I know of that kind of work. It's a common thing done there for years, or is it a new method? Of course I've known dozens of players who played in a position when playing for Real Sociedad youth system, and then ended up in another position when reaching the first team, but I haven't heard of putting a player on different position on purpose.

SOunds interesting, because playing  in the midfileld can help the player to learn to play the ball with ease, not using the senseless kick to forward when he's pressed and so on.

SAbre

I think its a great idea.
I dont think it is something LFC have done before...but i would be prepared to bet money that Ajax do it.
It will alow players to gain more skills, and to be able to slot into different positions when the team is being stretched.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion