Footballers reds and ex reds - Urban myths and legends

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:48 am

thought i would start this thread based on the molby one, lets talk about urban myths and legends from our players and ex players.

what prompted this was man citys visit to bangkok last week, their hotel had a nightclub, quite exclusive by bangkoks standards as they wont let you in wearing shorts. didi haman walked downstairs to the club only to be refused entry because he was wearing shorts, so what did he do? throw a hissy fit? come out with the old "dont you know who i am" bollox.

no, did walked outside to a market stall and bought a pair of kecks for a quid 4 sizes too small by all accounts, put them on over his shorts and walked in the club with the legs at half mast

legend    :D
112-1077774096

Postby red37 » Mon May 26, 2008 10:10 am

:laugh:

Didi?  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby ConnO'var » Mon May 26, 2008 10:52 am

ConnO'var

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon May 26, 2008 7:20 pm

peewee wrote:thought i would start this thread based on the molby one, lets talk about urban myths and legends from our players and ex players.

what prompted this was man citys visit to bangkok last week, their hotel had a nightclub, quite exclusive by bangkoks standards as they wont let you in wearing shorts. didi haman walked downstairs to the club only to be refused entry because he was wearing shorts, so what did he do? throw a hissy fit? come out with the old "dont you know who i am" bollox.

no, did walked outside to a market stall and bought a pair of kecks for a quid 4 sizes too small by all accounts, put them on over his shorts and walked in the club with the legs at half mast

I like you peewee, and I like Didi, but that story's fecking sh!te  :D
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 26, 2008 7:41 pm

:D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon May 26, 2008 7:45 pm

There you go didi :laugh:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon May 26, 2008 10:15 pm

I see laughs here, and that's nice, but I'm actually grateful to peewee's idea of a thread. Note that when I was a children and a teenager I didn't watch as many games as now, just when the national tv broadcasted it, and I missed the folklore about players, so I'm eager to eat and read any information or folklore surrounding players or ex players.

Nanny has a good bunch of stories to tell us, if I remember correctly he has told us 3 or 4 already :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:31 am

NiftyNeil wrote:
peewee wrote:thought i would start this thread based on the molby one, lets talk about urban myths and legends from our players and ex players.

I like you peewee, and I like Didi, but that story's fecking sh!te  :D

112-1077774096

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Tue May 27, 2008 1:46 am

Didi is a legend, one of those slightly excentrix but still down to earth footy players, coming to training with a copie of the racing post in his hand :p
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue May 27, 2008 2:00 am

He used to place some heavy bets with a fella in the White Horse in Woolton.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 27, 2008 11:41 am

I love the story told by Tommy Smith.
As the teams walked out onto the Anfield pitch he handed one of the opposing forwards (Jimmy Greaves) a piece of paper.

It was a dinner menu from the local hospital.

:laugh:  :laugh:   :bowdown

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Tue May 27, 2008 2:41 pm

a more recent one that made me smile was vladdy smicer smoking cigars and celebrating with the fans after the game in istanbul.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 27, 2008 3:19 pm

That's a common thing to see in Eastern players Andy. Valery Karpin, a very good midfielder that retired some years ago smoked every day 5 or 6 cigars, and you couldn't tell that in the pitch.

We used to play darts in the same pub, and every day, 3 or 4 cigars.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 27, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue May 27, 2008 6:55 pm

Sabre wrote:I see laughs here, and that's nice, but I'm actually grateful to peewee's idea of a thread. Note that when I was a children and a teenager I didn't watch as many games as now, just when the national tv broadcasted it, and I missed the folklore about players, so I'm eager to eat and read any information or folklore surrounding players or ex players.

Nanny has a good bunch of stories to tell us, if I remember correctly he has told us 3 or 4 already :)

Erm Sabes ive been referred to loads of thing in my time but never a HE :laugh:

You know im an old woman :nod

Effes talking about bets Paisley had Hanson dragged out the bookies that used to be opposite the kop so many times they got told not to serve him in there anymore :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue May 27, 2008 9:31 pm

Best one I heard was years back.

During training, one of the staff passed a message on to Brucie from his wife that his car had been broken into while it was in for its MOT, and his golf clubs had been nicked from the boot.

Brucie immediately goes apeshit, and :censored: a ball so hard that it knocks Mike Hooper spark out, breaking his nose in the process.  :D
ivor_the_injun

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion