Footballers reds and ex reds - Urban myths and legends

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Number 9 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:40 pm

The managers came off with some good uns as well!
Waiting on Everton's arrival to Anfield for a Derby game once,Bill Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said "Give them these when they arrive,they'll need them".
I don't know if the doorman carried the order out but id love to have seen their faces if he did!

When Avi Cohem arrived at the club he said to Dalglish"You me,same"
Dalglish had'nt a clue what he was on about and just nodded.
The next day Cohen said the same.Dalglish asked him what he was talking about?
"You me same,both learn English"

This is a great one from Houllier on Paul Ince!"I notice a former captain of our team recently said that the squad is so good they dont need a manager.I took this a great compliment.He must have changed his mind since leaving as he said at the time Phil Thompson and I would drag the club down.On that point he was right,we dragged the club down to Cardiff 3 times in the last ten months!!
:D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Can anybody explain it to me this one? I think it's a matter of scouse humour, and I don't get it.

Robinson told us once in the Spanish tv that there was a kopite that he always told him he wasn't good enough, every game. Once, near the corner, Robinson fell injured and in pain. While in pain,  The kopite was beside him and told him "do you want a chip Michael?" (a potatoe I think?)

Robinson was laughing a lot as he told it, as it was very funny, but the other tv partner, and to be honest, myself, didn't get it .

Maybe I miss something about the story because he told us it more than 8 years ago, but I remember it for being puzzling.

Nice stories here, keep it up.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 27, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm

Sabre, I cant see the funny side either really, nothing typically scouse there.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm

Well he wasnt skinny Sabes now was he :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 27, 2008 10:02 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Well he wasnt skinny Sabes now was he :laugh:

Maybe it was just that :), but in the middle of the pain it sounds a bit rude!!

And thanks Effes, I just was thinking I couldn't grasp his humour. Maybe it's that I don't remember well the story.  It just didn't make sense with the whole idea I had from Robinson and Aldo himself telling us the total support of the Anfield.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue May 27, 2008 10:29 pm

Anyone remember the story after we won the European cup in 77

Well the team done the rounds and went on the balcony at St Georges Hall,  Terry Mac was wasted and needed to go for a wee . So out of view at the side of the balconey he started peeing never realising that there was girls from St Johns Ambulance standing underneath :laugh: it went all over them.

He cant even remember doin it but Tommo told him what hed done the next day
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue May 27, 2008 10:31 pm

which cup final was it where Tommo took the European cup down the pub in the back of his Capri  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue May 27, 2008 11:20 pm

7_Kewell wrote:which cup final was it where Tommo took the European cup down the pub in the back of his Capri  :D

It was the 1981 European cup final him an Terry Mac took it to the Falcon in Kirkby :laugh: in the back of his car
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red187 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:50 pm

Anyone else hear about the time McAteer had locked himself out of his brand new car.
Razor had been staying over in his house and told trigger, to go into the house and grab him a coat hanger so he could open the door.
Trigger went into the house and came back out 5 minutes later with a wooden one!
Makes me laugh any time I hear it
red187

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed May 28, 2008 12:59 pm

There's loads of McAteer ones...

From here:
http://blog.pro-creator.co.uk/2007/06/12/jason-mcateer-retires/

Apparently Jason was in a Dublin nightclub and saw Jimmy White and decided to say hello by yelling a catchphrase that Jimmy would instantly recognize and so Jason yelled out the cry of - ‘One hundred and eighty’

Another rumour is that Jason was filling out a credit card application and is confused as to what to put in the space marked ‘Position In Company’ his source of confusion is revealed when he says to a Liverpool team mate - ‘I’m a central midfielder but the boss is playing me at right wing back’

Another story has Alan Thompson an ex-Bolton team mate of Jason asking Jason to - ‘pass the tomato ketchup’ and the answer Alan gets back from Jason is - ‘Red or brown’

And finally, a quote from the man himself:

“From now on, I want to be known as Captain Sensible. I’m known for being a fool and they called me Trigger. I once bought a pizza and was asked if I wanted it sliced into four or eight. I said just four because I couldn’t manage eight slices!”
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed May 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Ireland team-mate Ian Harte says: "The other week Jason gave a
Ralph Lauren polo shirt to his mum to wash and those shirts are longer
at the back than at the front. His mum didn't spot this until after
she'd washed it, thought she'd shrunk the front, and so cut the back to
make both sides equal. He says that's where he gets his stupidity
from."
ivor_the_injun

Postby red187 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:20 pm

The man was a legend, there was no shame in him he never denied anything that he is supposed to have done.
red187

Postby andy_g » Thu May 29, 2008 12:05 pm

jason mcateer

:laugh: :laugh:

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu May 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Sabre wrote:Can anybody explain it to me this one? I think it's a matter of scouse humour, and I don't get it.

Robinson told us once in the Spanish tv that there was a kopite that he always told him he wasn't good enough, every game. Once, near the corner, Robinson fell injured and in pain. While in pain,  The kopite was beside him and told him "do you want a chip Michael?" (a potatoe I think?)

Robinson was laughing a lot as he told it, as it was very funny, but the other tv partner, and to be honest, myself, didn't get it .

Maybe I miss something about the story because he told us it more than 8 years ago, but I remember it for being puzzling.

Nice stories here, keep it up.

I would imagine it's the fact that the fan kept giving him stinking abuse, then offered him a chip like he was a mate.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri May 30, 2008 12:16 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:There's loads of McAteer ones...

From here:
http://blog.pro-creator.co.uk/2007/06/12/jason-mcateer-retires/

Apparently Jason was in a Dublin nightclub and saw Jimmy White and decided to say hello by yelling a catchphrase that Jimmy would instantly recognize and so Jason yelled out the cry of - ‘One hundred and eighty’

Another rumour is that Jason was filling out a credit card application and is confused as to what to put in the space marked ‘Position In Company’ his source of confusion is revealed when he says to a Liverpool team mate - ‘I’m a central midfielder but the boss is playing me at right wing back’

Another story has Alan Thompson an ex-Bolton team mate of Jason asking Jason to - ‘pass the tomato ketchup’ and the answer Alan gets back from Jason is - ‘Red or brown’

And finally, a quote from the man himself:

“From now on, I want to be known as Captain Sensible. I’m known for being a fool and they called me Trigger. I once bought a pizza and was asked if I wanted it sliced into four or eight. I said just four because I couldn’t manage eight slices!”

Splitting up here! Brilliant :D  :D  :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion