Getting closer to crisis - Push the panic button

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby big al » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:16 pm

A few weeks back someone posted a topic here entitled are we in crisis. I was one of those who said no! not yet.  Well here we are two league games down the road and I find evry other supporter from every other club laughing. Laughing at Liverpool. Think about that for a minute. this club has conquered all the great clubs of europe its taken its fans and supporters that we can now only sadly dream about. We have under Shankly, Fagan and Paisley seen the delights of the beautiful game being played out before are very eyes.  Man U and Real Madrid for all their success never have put as much fear into opponents than the great Liverpool sides of the past.

With all these acomplisments with all this history with a legacy unequaled in Top flight British Football' people are laughing at us. 

There are many sound opinions posted here about what is wrong and the truth is they are all right.  There are many things that added togather are causing Liverpool to be in the current situation.  Tactics used, buying of poor players, poor man management, Overly proud manager, a chairman who's passion is not enough to elevate him into the footsteps of his father.  I said this before here but I 'll say it again for those who have missed it.  The management of a club does not start or stop with the manager no accountablity and responsibilty to those who pay to watch their team lies with the Directors and the Chairman. 

Many people here know of my views about Biscan but Houlier seems hell bent on showing that his six million investment was right.  The man is therefore egotistically centre on himself and not his team, his club, his management or the fans.He won't admit that many of his buys are simply not right.  He has changed the liverpool way of doing things.  Shankly' s tactic was to seek out the best players,who had proven themselves Ie Keegan, Daglish, Wright, Beardsley, ect and buy them.  He let young players develop in the reserves and when he was ready allowed them to slowly emerge into the senior team.  This was a system that worked, that boot room knew every players weakness and strength.  This is the system that fergie has brought to Man U. Wenger has choose this way too.  It works. But Houlier has dumped it.  5 years ago he changed the system and began bringing youg players through, he also bought young players.  What he created was a team with no experienc and no soul.  Yes he won trophies! but at what cost?  The destruction of a legacy.  He bought poor footballers and would not admit his mistakes.

Just look 30 miles east and see how Fergie dealt with goalkeepers he'd forked millions out on, let him down. He dumped them. He stuck his hand up and said I'm wrong and learned.  Buy Proven players, buy the best and Don't! don't ever let players go to rivals.  Big mistake. Because they have extra motivation to prove you wrong for releasing them. Shanks knew this.

Yet there is hope because we do have some good players, the problem his we need 3 world class players 1 up front, 1 in the centre of mid-field and one in central defense.  Along with this the management upstairs need to let Mr Houlier go.  In the end he is a bad buy who has given some good preformances.  But if we want to make sure we don't end up in crisis and want to stop other fans laughing.  Derek Moores Must sack Houlier and bring a world class manager to Anfield.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby RedSi » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:24 pm

Well chosen words Big Al, it's said to see how the club has fallen from it's rich pedigree.

Yes, there is a way out of this and the future could still be bright. We have the basis of a squad capable of competing on both domestic and european fronts, what's needed now is some decisiveness in the boardroom, in the bootroom then on the pitch......
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:00 pm

Well said Al,but I think its only by liverpool supporters shouting loud enough that we will rid ourselves of mr houllier.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:42 pm

I agree what you have said. The whole Liverpool club is living in the past (remember how we taunted the Mancs for living in the past back in the 1980s? Ironic eh?).

I think the only way for Liverpool to re-capture past glories is a complete spring cleaning of the club. New directors, new stadium, new managment and new players. The last ten years have been so bad that a massive change is needed.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion