Who is to blame for this boring football?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:12 pm

PabloAimar wrote:(D)  beckam did not get sent off against espanyol. ramos and baptista did. (i read one of ur posts earlier this week when u told everyone they had 3 men sent off, beckam being one)

Actually it was SKY Sports that said Beckham got sent off, when infact he didnt.
Suppose Big Sam is also wrong aswell, or is it ok for him to say these things cause he's a man
??? . I think some men on here have an inferiority complex to females being on a footie forum its starting to look that way.

Story by Matt Bottom 23 September 2005 

'Salary cap will only be good if all countries enforce it'

Sam Allardyce has spoken about the 'boring' factor that Bolton have been labelled with along with many other sides in the Premier League this season.

"I think everybody has become frightened about Chelsea because they haven't conceded a goal, and they are saying it's negative.

"But at the end of the day, I saw Arsene Wenger play one up front in the FA Cup final [in May] and wait for penalties, and all they ever say about him is that he plays open, attractive football.

"That's great. Who is conning who here? Do me a favour - open your eyes!

"Why is it all my fault? That's great isn't it. People love blaming me don't they! Well, that shows a lack of intelligence, or they don't even come here and watch us, or they are jealous, which is probably the big one.

"We will deal with what we have to deal with, and if you want to have a look at my record, it stands up for itself.

"I make no apologies about how we go about our job because we are a very attractive football team, no matter what anybody else says, and we are winning more matches now than we have ever won before.

"We also get the best out of our players week in and week out, we spend less money than anybody else and yet we are in the top half of the table and playing in Europe, so I don't see how you can blame me."

Roman Abramovich has been slated this week as the main cause of inflation in the beautiful game, with Chelsea having the pick of any players they want therefore making it harder for other teams to compete in the transfer market.

"Because money is no object for him, it's inflated everything else in this country," he said.

"It's inflated salary and transfer packages, forcing the top boys to try and compete, and leaving us just staying in there and trying to bring the best players with what we've got."

Wigan Chairman Dave Whelan has spoken this week of the 'Salary Cap' that could be introduced to stop this type of behaviour, but Big Sam thinks an adjustment needs to be made before it will work.

"You will simply lose bigger players to other countries and that will dilute the quality of the Premiership", he said,

"You'd have to do so from the G14 downwards otherwise somebody from Spain or Italy will enquire about a top player like Thierry Henry or Rio Ferdinand, tell them they don't have a salary cap and then what will happen?

"They will buy a private jet and they will go."

"Of course we would like to bring parity and more excitement, but whether the fan would cope seeing their big players leave and whether TV would still pay the money is another matter."

Allardyce feels the onus is on Premiership chairmen to find a working solution to the malaise afflicting football, with accusations it has become boring, married to the fact some fans are turning away.

"We have a lot to protect in the Premiership, and it's not my responsibility to protect it. That's down to the chairmen and owners of the clubs," added Allardyce.

"They have the major problem of making sure we keep hold of what we have, and we've the best league in the world, have had for the last four or five years, maybe even longer.

"They should all come together to protect it, and not wait until a time when they look around and say 'Oh, what's happening?', because by then it will be far too late to do anything about it."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:15 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
PabloAimar wrote:(D)  beckam did not get sent off against espanyol. ramos and baptista did. (i read one of ur posts earlier this week when u told everyone they had 3 men sent off, beckam being one)

Actually it was SKY Sports that said Beckham got sent off, when infact he didnt.
Suppose Big Sam is also wrong aswell, or is it ok for him to say these things cause he's a man
??? . I think some men on here have an inferiority complex to females being on a footie forum its starting to look that way.

Story by Matt Bottom 23 September 2005 

'Salary cap will only be good if all countries enforce it'

Sam Allardyce has spoken about the 'boring' factor that Bolton have been labelled with along with many other sides in the Premier League this season.

"I think everybody has become frightened about Chelsea because they haven't conceded a goal, and they are saying it's negative.

"But at the end of the day, I saw Arsene Wenger play one up front in the FA Cup final [in May] and wait for penalties, and all they ever say about him is that he plays open, attractive football.

"That's great. Who is conning who here? Do me a favour - open your eyes!

"Why is it all my fault? That's great isn't it. People love blaming me don't they! Well, that shows a lack of intelligence, or they don't even come here and watch us, or they are jealous, which is probably the big one.

"We will deal with what we have to deal with, and if you want to have a look at my record, it stands up for itself.

"I make no apologies about how we go about our job because we are a very attractive football team, no matter what anybody else says, and we are winning more matches now than we have ever won before.

"We also get the best out of our players week in and week out, we spend less money than anybody else and yet we are in the top half of the table and playing in Europe, so I don't see how you can blame me."

Roman Abramovich has been slated this week as the main cause of inflation in the beautiful game, with Chelsea having the pick of any players they want therefore making it harder for other teams to compete in the transfer market.

"Because money is no object for him, it's inflated everything else in this country," he said.

"It's inflated salary and transfer packages, forcing the top boys to try and compete, and leaving us just staying in there and trying to bring the best players with what we've got."

Wigan Chairman Dave Whelan has spoken this week of the 'Salary Cap' that could be introduced to stop this type of behaviour, but Big Sam thinks an adjustment needs to be made before it will work.

"You will simply lose bigger players to other countries and that will dilute the quality of the Premiership", he said,

"You'd have to do so from the G14 downwards otherwise somebody from Spain or Italy will enquire about a top player like Thierry Henry or Rio Ferdinand, tell them they don't have a salary cap and then what will happen?

"They will buy a private jet and they will go."

"Of course we would like to bring parity and more excitement, but whether the fan would cope seeing their big players leave and whether TV would still pay the money is another matter."

Allardyce feels the onus is on Premiership chairmen to find a working solution to the malaise afflicting football, with accusations it has become boring, married to the fact some fans are turning away.

"We have a lot to protect in the Premiership, and it's not my responsibility to protect it. That's down to the chairmen and owners of the clubs," added Allardyce.

"They have the major problem of making sure we keep hold of what we have, and we've the best league in the world, have had for the last four or five years, maybe even longer.

"They should all come together to protect it, and not wait until a time when they look around and say 'Oh, what's happening?', because by then it will be far too late to do anything about it."

Good.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:47 am

Well I agree with Ciggy that watching football should be entertaing.
Afterall I have been brought up living and breathing good old English football for years and just expect high tempo bone crunching tackles and the passion and skill that goes with it on a saturday or sunday afternoon.

All I can say is that we have been well and truly spoilt down the years if this negative and boring aspect of the game is the future of football.

One of the culprits for me is Jose Maureen   :(
66-1112520797

Postby A.B. » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:44 pm

A week later after the Premiership gets labeled as "boring", the likes of Man Utd lose to Blackburn at home. Middlesbrough who beat Arsenal at home lose to Sunderland.

Boring? I don't think so.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:46 pm

Granted the season has started with more of a whimper than a bang but the media have blown it out of all proportion. Combination of 'Ashes Hangover' and too many games on the box (is it me or are Sky now show 2 PPV games every Saturday?)

I keep hearing fans pointing the finger of blame at Chelsea as if they are doing something, saying stuff like 'chelsea have ruined football with their money and negative tactics' etc. Good luck to them i say, they've raised the bar and now it's up to the rest to step up.

As for all the criticism of tactics and the media going on about 4-5-1, 4-3-3 blah blah blah. Football works in cycles and always has done. Playing one striker seems to be the in-thing right now but it's likely to pass. I've seen some crappy football this year but it hasn't all been so bad.

Maybe the season will spark into life this week when we do the double over Chelsea? :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:14 pm

No way are liverppool going to stop playin 4-5-1, rafas been buying his players around this formation.

It will come good, its still only his second season. And by the way he did just win the European Cup, i think he knows a thing a two about football.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:04 am

The fat cats who see football clubs as gold mines. (They don't seem to relise that sooner or later the gold runs out.) B*stards.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:14 am

A.B. wrote:A week later after the Premiership gets labeled as "boring", the likes of Man Utd lose to Blackburn at home. Middlesbrough who beat Arsenal at home lose to Sunderland.

Boring? I don't think so.

Yeh I just finished watching the Sunderland game, was a very good game.

incidentally, that Sunderland win means Everton are dead last, get used to it toffees.

:D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:15 am

The boring football is IMO caused by the fact that the game/business is in such a state right now that dropping into the "Second Division" (Coca Cola Championship) is considered a disaster. Granted it's always been something to avoid. But with the financial concerns, teams will do anything to survive, including grinding out a point here and there.

When teams play against others, the strategy is either to get everybody back to defend and try to get out with at least a draw, or to play a cautious game and maybe steal a late goal, or to get an early goal and defend defend defend.

The only exceptions would be Chelsea, who are going to win the Premiership every year for as long as Jose Morinhio is the manager. The only hope anyone else has to challenge them is when he steps down and someone else takes over. They may have all the money in the world, but it still takes managerial and coaching skill to put that to good use.

Manchester United are probably the only team who "might" be able to cause Chelsea problems. Arsenal, although still a great team seem to have declined slightly in Vieira's absence and with a team made up of younger players and older ones.

The only exciting football you may see would be in the Carling Cup, the FA Cup, and the Champions League where because they are cup competitions, there is more pressure to WIN, rather than in the Premiership where the pressure is to NOT LOSE, which may sound a little weird, but that's basically the deal.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion