Who would you trust to get goals at the lane - Where will the goals come from?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kopite » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Reina
           Finnan             Carra            Hyypia            Riise

Alonso          Sissoko

G            E             R              R             A       R       D

Pongolle                              Cisse

Nando
kopite

Postby JC_81 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:31 pm

Personally I am getting a bit tired of the constant question of 'who can we rely on for goals' (no offence to the fellah who started the thread).  Every game there seems to be a question mark over where our goals are going to come from.  Ok 1 goal in 2 prem games isn't great so far but it's ONLY 2 games.  Then a lot of people jumped on the Owen bandwagon and when he didn't sign in the end then it was all doom and gloom and suddenly we have a 'strikers crisis'.

All I can say is look at Chelsea last year.  No 20-goal a season striker and they walked the league.  I'm not saying we can do that this season, but it shows that 'top teams need a 20 goal a season striker' is a total myth.

Rafa is building a side and moulding a system that will allow midfielders to get further forward and hopefully chip in with the goals.  He did it successfully at Valencia and once he gets all the players he wants, he will achieve it here.  Personally I'd prefer the goals to be spread around rather than have to rely on one person to get them.

As for the Spurs game, Morientes will probably start with Crouch to appear from the bench at some point.  We'll go with the 5 man midfield again with either garcia or Cisse wide right.  Don't care who gets the goals, but if we create as many chances as we did in our other away prem game at Boro then we should win it.  Spurs have improved but will struggle to live up to their hype this year.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:35 pm

I think we'll take the three points, but I'll eat my underpants if we win 3-0 :eyebrow

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:41 pm

hey thegreedo, do you get to many away games? if you do how do we generally fare?

i ask becasue i went to five away last season and went to the boro game this season and have yet to see us win. infact, the five we lost last season were probably our worst five displays of the whole season.

i'm going to birmingham on the 24th though. £40 for a ticket. what a ripoff. :angry:
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:57 pm

Don't really care who scores the goals as long as we win.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby thegreedo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:02 pm

stmichael wrote:hey thegreedo, do you get to many away games? if you do how do we generally fare?

i ask becasue i went to five away last season and went to the boro game this season and have yet to see us win. infact, the five we lost last season were probably our worst five displays of the whole season.

i'm going to birmingham on the 24th though. £40 for a ticket. what a ripoff. :angry:

I generally get to about ten away's a season (finances permitting). Last season on the road was pretty gloomy, worst of all for me, away at palace. That was a real turd of a game (yes, even worse than st mary's!!). Don't look for the reletivlely good value of Anfield to translate to away games, we get robbed at most away grounds. As much as I hate to say it manure aren't too bad, but the london clubs take the mick ( no pun intended). Get ready for a hostile reception from the blues, they're not our biggest fans. Don't worry though sing up and enjoy, away days are some of the best!! :buttrock

I'm feeling optimistic, I'm looking for a big, big improvment in our away form this season. Bring on spurs, lets get this campaign up and running!!

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolrich » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:24 pm

can see crouch and cisse get alot of goals this year and if they start 2gether i can see a lpool win  :)
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby 109-1093441336 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:50 pm

Can see Cisse inviting viewers to his crib on MTV.
109-1093441336

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:51 pm

Spurs look a decent side on paper but we could hit them for an important away win. Jol has made some good signings but its asking a lot to have them all gel straight way, and they could be vulnerable in this match.

I would play 4-4-2 myself with Morientes and Cisse up front, but I'm certain Benitez will play 4-2-3-1 with Alonso, Gerrard, Hamman/Siisoko, Riise and Garcia in midfield, with either Nando Morientes or possibly Peter Courch - fitness permitting - up front on his own, with Cisse coming on as a late substitute.

If Crouch is fully fit I'll wager he'll start. Benitez has been harping on about signing Crouch for awkward away matches and I'm sure he'll be eager to give Crouch a chance as soon as he can.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby XSD » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:16 pm

I'd start Cisse and Crouch upfront, bring Pongolle off the bench and have Riise and Garcia on the flanks.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:18 pm

When is our next home game?

I'm worried about Crouch, will he make it pass the TIA sign?
109-1093441336

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:19 pm

thinking about it, with the exception of davids and maybe taino, their first eleven is pretty much the same as last season. i don't think jenas will start the game unless they change their formation somewhat.

we shouldn't have anything to fear considering our kids went down there in the carling cup last season and held their own, eventually winning on penalties. with our big guns out, we're quite capable of winning.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:25 pm

Id go for a 4-4-2 with Cisse and Crouch up top!! The reason we were bad last season away is that we sat off teams too much !! Best get into Spurs and have a real go at them and scare the sh.it outta them!!! After all its the same Spurs that we will be confident to beat when they come to Anfield! Theres too much negative phsycology applied to playing away in football!
66-1120597113

Postby King Carra » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:37 pm

Surely most of the players that we play with will have goals in them and Rafa will probably start with Nando and Zenden though i would rather have Riise and Cisse, but both the players that will probably play on Sat were players bought by Rafa.
King Carra

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion