Who would you trust to get goals at the lane - Where will the goals come from?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby thegreedo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:25 pm

I for one am really looking forward to my trip down to white heart lane this weekend as I think if both teams play to their full potential it should be one hell of a game.

However, I can't stop this nagging worry at the back of my mind. Which one of our strike force can we really rely on to get the goals we so desperatly need??

Presuming Rafa will use his 5-4-1, one lone striker away from home tactics there will be a lot of responsibility on the shoulders of one man to provide our leading goal threat.

Who do you feel that man should be?

Personally the  name I think will worry the spurs defenders the most is Cisse, if he is fit he should be full of confidence after netting twice for france on saturday, and played in his proper role of centre forward his pace could cause the spurs defence some real problems.

As for Crouch, as much as I am looking forward to seeing how much of an impression he can make on the premiership in a red shirt, I think the obvious advantage of his hight may be negated by the size of both Gardener and King and I just don't see him as alone striker.

Then we come to Nando, have you ever seen a slower centre forward?? Nando may find some form soon but for me saturday is too important a game to take a chance on him.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:27 pm

Stevieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby redsforever » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:30 pm

Goals from cisse or stevie G!!!! :D
The rafalution begins.. Happy Days!!
redsforever

Postby The_Rock » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:46 pm

Hope garcia scores though... (once he starts scoring....he will hit a purple patch and score in the next few games).
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:57 pm

I think we should start with Cisse and Crouch, although i dont think we will. I put this line up in another thread but here it is again.

Reina
Finnan        carragher     Hyypia        Warnock

sissoko         Alonso

Gerrard         Riise

Cisse          Crouch

Now the shape of the team probably looks a bit strange and very narrow. But sissoko and Alonso would provide plenty of cover for the back 4. Gerrard and Riise although i have put them in a central position they could pull out wide and cause alot of problems for anyone. And having 2 forwards with players like Gerrard and Riise bombing on imo would stretch most sides.
Just my opinion but i really think that side looks solid and has plenty of options on the break.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:58 pm

As I stated in another thread, Cisse while looking the most likely scorer by a distance, wouldn't really be suited to playing up top on his own. A lone front man almost always plays with his back to goal, holding the ball up for others to join in the play and I think this negates Cisse's main asset, namely pace.
Given that, I would start with Crouch if we must play 4-5-1. I would leave Morientes on the bench for certain (I think by now most people would know my opinion of him) and at the risk of getting slaughtered, would start with Cisse wide right. I must stress, this is assuming we play 4-5-1. I personally would play 4-4-2 with Cisse AND Crouch up top, Sissoko playing wide right. I get tired of saying this bit, not as a winger but as a right-sided midfield player. BTW I wouldn't give Zenden the time of day. I would continue with the theme of solidity and start Riise wide left.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:05 pm

yo bigmick...i also have same opinion of you.... This would be my formation.

Reina
       Finnan     Carra   Hyppia   Risse (yes...not warnock)
                       Alonso     Sissoko
         Gerrard             Cisse                 Garcia
                               Crouch

- Time to play risse every game. He needs to improve his defending..and the only way he can improve is to play more and more games. Also risse has the added threat of scoring goals.

- Garcia to play on the left....i think he is more comfortable on the left flank.... (not sure why...just think so).

- Gerrard on the right.

- Cisse on the centre

Then garcia, Gerrard & Cisse change positions to confuse the opposition....(but cisse will play in the centre most of the times).

But don't think rafa will pick this formation ........ :p
Last edited by The_Rock on Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:14 pm

Rafa will definately play with one up front. Spurs are no longer an inferior team, they have now built a very capable squad. We'll need to control the midfield and stiffel the likes of Carrick and Davids. Thats why i am sure a five man midfield will be Rafa's choice. So far we have looked quite solid defensively but we will have to be on our guard to keep Defoe quiet.

I think Rafa will go with,

Reina

Finnan      Carra     Sami    Warnock

Sissoko       Alonso

Garcia           Gerrard         Riise

Mori

This game is perfect for Crouch but I'm not sure if Rafa will chuck him straight back in after only half a game for the reserves. Morientes should not start ahead of Cisse when you compare the form of the two but in a 4-5-1 system, there is no chance of Cisse playing unless he's deployed on the right hand side.

We need to win. Forget this attitude of "oh well spurs have improved, it's a difficult place to go so i'll be happy with a draw". If we have any aspirations of doing well in the Premiership, this is a game where we need to put in a performance and make the rest of the League take notice, especially as two of our next three games are against Manure and Chelsea.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:22 pm

I dont think Crouch will start as its his first game back. I think he will indeed go for 4-5-1 but start with Nando with Stevie just behind him. Now that we have a decent midfielder that can defend well and attack in Sissoko allowing Stevie to break through. As far as striker go on a 4-5-1, Rafa may gamble on Cisse or Crouch but the best bet is Nando
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:22 pm

stmichael wrote:We need to win. Forget this attitude of "oh well spurs have improved, it's a difficult place to go so i'll be happy with a draw". If we have any aspirations of doing well in the Premiership, this is a game where we need to put in a performance and make the rest of the League take notice, especially as two of our next three games are against Manure and Chelsea.

Thank god for st Mike!! If I hear one more person say "I'd settle for a draw" I'll chin 'em (and I'm not a violent man).  :angry:

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:23 pm

let me give a quick prediction st mick....if rafa does pick that formation (and he will most likely pick it - only zenden for risse)...the match will end 0-0.......

thats juz my prediction...... :cool:
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:29 pm

I think Rafa will pick Riise ahead of Zended, Rafa knows how good Riise is and knows he will play a lot this season thats why he has been using Zenden up till now. Like i said Zenden is just a sub. Its be tough no doubt but if we beat all those teams in Europe then we can sure as hell beat Tottenham.

3 - 0 to the reds.!!!!!!!

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:40 pm

bavlondon wrote:I think Rafa will pick Riise ahead of Zended, Rafa knows how good Riise is and knows he will play a lot this season thats why he has been using Zenden up till now. Like i said Zenden is just a sub. Its be tough no doubt but if we beat all those teams in Europe then we can sure as hell beat Tottenham.

Zenden will play barring injuries...Riise is out of favour.
There is no way that Rafa has been resting him, if he was why not rest others ?
To predict 3-0 as well, you are either unbelievably optimistic or have a distinct lack of knowledge.
But i would be made up to be proved wrong.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:46 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
bavlondon wrote:I think Rafa will pick Riise ahead of Zended, Rafa knows how good Riise is and knows he will play a lot this season thats why he has been using Zenden up till now. Like i said Zenden is just a sub. Its be tough no doubt but if we beat all those teams in Europe then we can sure as hell beat Tottenham.

Zenden will play barring injuries...Riise is out of favour.
There is no way that Rafa has been resting him, if he was why not rest others ?
To predict 3-0 as well, you are either unbelievably optimistic or have a distinct lack of knowledge.
But i would be made up to be proved wrong.

just what are you basing that comment on that Riise is out of favour. He was one of our best players last season. 3-0 is far from optimistic let alone demonstrating a lack of knowledge. I may not be a professional coach but neither are you therfore you have no basis to tell another fan what level of knowledge they are demonstrating.

As i was saying i think they will win 3-0.. Dont forget that although Davids is good he is also unable to last the full 90minutes and especially as Jol hasa large squad now hed rather keep the temp fresh rather than risk playing him for the whole 90.

Also lest we forget that Mido is suspended if im not mistaken. The only person we shoudl fear from Tottenham is Defoe but i think Carra can more than handle that.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:56 pm

I am basing it on the fact that he has been constantly substitute in favour of Zenden who is Rafa's signing.
I agree Riise had a great season last year...and I would have him in the side ahead of Zenden any day of the week...but IMO Rafa wont...based on what he has done so far.
I questioned your football knowledge because you predicted 3-0 away to Spurs...now i would be delighted (but shocked) if we won so easily, at a ground we never do well at...and against a side that have started quite brightly.
Davids is irrelevant, he is a decent player but not the be all and end all.
Spurs have a good squad...and a first 11 that will compete with most sides.
We will not go there and walk it, i am certain of that.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion