In rafa we trust?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:42 pm

Pedro O'Maradona wrote:It must be very bad if people are looking for Roy Evans back, granted his teams played lovely attacking football but they couldnt defend to save their lives under him. Roy inherited some great players but couldnt control the dressing room.
There is a manager doing very well in France at the moment with Lyon they should get him .....I cant remember his name though ..Gerard something or other....

I haven't a clue what you're reading, I never said we should sack Rafa and get Evans back, I'm simply saying we would of won the Premiership under Evans.
67-1161385641

Postby red37 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:45 pm

CharmlessMan wrote:
Pedro O'Maradona wrote:It must be very bad if people are looking for Roy Evans back, granted his teams played lovely attacking football but they couldnt defend to save their lives under him. Roy inherited some great players but couldnt control the dressing room.
There is a manager doing very well in France at the moment with Lyon they should get him .....I cant remember his name though ..Gerard something or other....

I haven't a clue what you're reading, I never said we should sack Rafa and get Evans back, I'm simply saying we would of won the Premiership under Evans.

we almost did under Houllier.. but neither were the long term answer.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:47 pm

red37 wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:

You're right after enduring 3 years of bad football that almost drove me to drug abuse. We took a step back when we hired Houllier, but I don't suppose this issue should drag on, Rafa has my faith and I'm sure he'll deliver the goods, I was simply saying we would of won it under Evans had the board given him their full support.
67-1161385641

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:51 pm

CharmlessMan wrote:

I know u didnt, I was being sardonic......so lighten up!
Roy evans was a brutal manager the players walked all over him ........and boy did he buy some shocking players too, Sean Dundee, K H Reidle, Ovind Leonardsen, Mark Kennedy, Phil Babb, (and when the pressure was on him he made John Barnes a scapegoat for a UEFA cup exit versus PSV when it was one of the worse defensive LFC displays i can remember.)
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby red37 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:55 pm

CharmlessMan wrote:
red37 wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:

You're right after enduring 3 years of bad football that almost drove me to drug abuse. We took a step back when we hired Houllier, but I don't suppose this issue should drag on, Rafa has my faith and I'm sure he'll deliver the goods, I was simply saying we would of won it under Evans had the board given him their full support.

and if it werent for the dominance of Chelsea and the throwing away of vital points last season on numerous occasions. that too ended up pretty close to success. and without them in any normal season on record; those 82 points may well have been enough. again, a tired argument.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:56 pm

He had four seasons, in four seasons you cannot sort out a huge amount of mess, that's where my point applies. He wasn't blind, he knew there was a lot of work to do and he set about improving the team, he wasn't given long enough. Every manager makes signings that do not work out, Benitez has done so far for us and will continue to do, doesn't mean he's not going to win the League with us does it? It doesn't make him a bad manager does it? Ferguson has made mistakes with his signing, so has Wenger and Mourinho.
67-1161385641

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:06 pm

red37 wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:
red37 wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:

and if it werent for the dominance of Chelsea and the throwing away of vital points last season on numerous occasions. that too ended up pretty close to success. and without them in any normal season on record; those 82 points may well have been enough. again, a tired argument.

I didn't turn it into an "argument" I simply stated the case that Evans would of won it back then, I didn't think it would change the course of the topic. Either way since Evans left I haven't had maximum optimism that we could win the league, I did think we could win it this season, but every season under Evans I had that extra chalk of belief and at least back then we played great football (which could of been improved, had time been given) and the players knew who they were playing for. I can't say that is evident today. But it's a tired discussion! It doesn't stop me thinking getting rid of Evans was wrong.
67-1161385641

Postby red37 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:10 pm

CharmlessMan wrote:
red37 wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:
red37 wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:

I didn't turn it into an "argument" I simply stated the case that Evans would of won it back then, I didn't think it would change the course of the topic. Either way since Evans left I haven't had maximum optimism that we could win the league, I did think we could win it this season, but every season under Evans I had that extra chalk of belief and at least back then we played great football (which could of been improved, had time been given) and the players knew who they were playing for. I can't say that is evident today. But it's a tired discussion! It doesn't stop me thinking getting rid of Evans was wrong.

im using the word quite differently to the way you've understood it. and furthermore you have raised some good points..

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby redhayesy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:12 pm

forget blaming raffa after every defeat or bad performance forget blaming raffa for rotation,zone-all marking etc etc he will suceed i have faith in him! at this moment in time the performances of the whole sqaud of players needs to be questioned!! not raffa"s taticts.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:13 pm

I found evans reign more frustrating than Houlliers, I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing but looking back you can see what each manager; souness, evans, and houllier were trying to do, circumstance and their own failings meant it didnt work out, I think the pressure at Liverpool must be incredible though look at  Dalglish, Souness and Houllier all had health problems when they were in charge, and the longer the wait for a Premier League title goes on the worse the pressure seems to get. I just hope it doesnt take its toil on Rafa and he gets the backing of the suppoerters and the board and the players and we get there in the end!
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:14 pm

Sorry, I just naturally thought you were calling me argumentative. I don't think it's too relevant getting into a deep discussion about Evans although I did start it..   :oops:

We have a very good manager incharge of us and I'm sure we will win many things under him, including the Premiership.
67-1161385641

Postby red37 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:15 pm

CharmlessMan wrote:Sorry, I just naturally thought you were calling me argumentative. I don't think it's too relevant getting into a deep discussion about Evans although I did start it..   :oops:

We have a very good manager incharge of us and I'm sure we will win many things under him, including the Premiership.

absolutely.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:04 pm

As for our matches against the other big three, I think people are being overly pessimistic. We're nowhere near as disadvantaged here as people make out. Yes our away record under Rafa is dire, but in my view that's mainly down to a lack of adventure and not the quality of the players. If we do have a go I believe we're capable of getting results – we outplayed the Mancs last season and Chelsea this, and were unlucky to come away with nothing on both occasions. We've held Chelsea away twice in the CL when they wanted a win, and did so fairly comfortably at that. At home, as I said in another post, we've got the measure of Arsenal, and we've beaten Chelsea and the Mancs at home in the cups and there is no logical reason why that can't translate to the league.

It's a myth that our squad isn't good enough to beat the other three, and by that I mean taking enough points from them over a season to keep us in the race, not just getting the odd result now and again. As for lesser teams, we've got the quality to beat them week in week out and rack up the points, as we showed last season. People talk about us over-achieving last season, but we didn't. The manager got it right (eventually) and the players performed well and had confidence in their ability. That's no more than is expected from any club, let alone one with title ambitions.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:10 pm

stmichael wrote:It's a myth that our squad isn't good enough to beat the other three

it is though a fact that we have failed to beat all three away from home in a single season - ever

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Hebz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:58 pm

but what matters is when we play them at home we win, and we'll do just that. We have something special, and thats anfield. We'll beat them yet again in cups, its just when it comes to the league, its a complete mystery to why we lose to them. Sometimes we play so much better than them, we have more shots and attempts on goal, they just dont seem to want to go in.

Overall, yes our away form is bad at the moment. But the futures bright for Liverpool as it always is, and with a manager like Rafa, we've got everything to look forward to.

If he's brought us the Champions League, FA Cup etc, then he'll definatly bring us the EPL!
Hebz

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion