In rafa we trust?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby puroresu » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:00 am

BOODIDDY wrote:some fans are unreal. We cant win the title with a relatively new team. There are stil changes too. We probably wont seriuosly challenge until season after next. If its going the wrong way then, then we will have to look at the management. Both Moores and Rafa.

But just now, remeber we are the only british team definately in the last 16 of europe and fourth place is two games away. Im already dreaming about athens.

I dont think expecting the side in its 3rd season to be in the title race beyond November is too high of an expectation.

This is Rafa's side now and that team should not be so far behind already.
puroresu

Postby Red @ Heart » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:14 am

oh yea i forgot we have to keep our mouths shut an blindly follow dont we? nottttttttttttttttttttttttttttt:angry:
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:20 am

puroresu wrote:
BOODIDDY wrote:some fans are unreal. We cant win the title with a relatively new team. There are stil changes too. We probably wont seriuosly challenge until season after next. If its going the wrong way then, then we will have to look at the management. Both Moores and Rafa.

But just now, remeber we are the only british team definately in the last 16 of europe and fourth place is two games away. Im already dreaming about athens.

I dont think expecting the side in its 3rd season to be in the title race beyond November is too high of an expectation.

How many managers win league titles within the first 3 years of service with a club that was badly out of shape? (Not counting Moris, who had a blank cheque to buy the league with.)

Ferguson took years, Wenger took years, Shankly took years.

Be fair mate.  :no

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:22 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
puroresu wrote:

How many managers win league titles within the first 3 years of service with a club that was badly out of shape? (Not counting Moris, who had a blank cheque to buy the league with.)

Like I said I am not expecting the title, just wanna be in the race beyond the new year.  I dont think thats too high of an expectation. I dont think anyone can honestly say they thought we would be so far behind right now.

For the record Wenger actually won the double in his 2nd season.  Could be argued it was his 1st season as he took over in october 96.  His first full season was 97/98 which he won the double.
puroresu

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:28 am

puroresu wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
puroresu wrote:

Like I said I am not expecting the title, just wanna be in the race beyond the new year.  I dont think thats too high of an expectation. I dont think anyone can honestly say they thought we would be so far behind right now.

For the record Wenger actually won the double in his 2nd season.  Could be argued it was his 1st season as he took over in october 96.  His first full season was 97/98 which he won the double.

Well bugger me.

Still waiting for the Champios' League over at Goonersville, though.

I still say that the CL is THE number 1 trophy. I want us to win the Premiership, but given the choice I'd take the CL again.

It's where legends are made.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:22 am

CharmlessMan wrote:
stmichael wrote:
Big Niall wrote:Evans was a good manager and greatly improved the club from Souness, a much better manager than the fool Houlier. However Evans lacked the steel a manager must have and should have pulled Fowler, mcmanaman, Collymore, FAt ruddock and others out of their laziness. Would never win the league against better managers like Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho.

Evans is a top man and a good (but not good enough) manager.

Firstly, Evans' control over the senior players was tenuous at best and a lot of the Spice Boys stories were more than true. He did well with the resources that he was given but the only times that the club didn't back him in the market was because the targets wanted astronomical wages, Marcel Desailly and Lilian Thuram prime examples of that.

Roy was and is Liverpool FC to the core but he just wasn't cut out to be a top level manager in that he spent so long as a successful coach that the transition to manager was just a step too far. All the players liked and got on with him really well but therein lies the problem. There has to be a distance between the players and the management and the fact that Roy was close to many of the players largely undermined his remit. It's for that reason, IMO, that Moores took the action he did.

Roy Evans will always be an Anfield legend whatever happens but it was the right decision to bring another man in.

I could of sworn someone on talklfc.com posted that earlier.  Puroresu, I agree entirely with your post about Evans, but we'll never know what he could of and would of done at Liverpool, we've got Rafa now so the Evans debate shouldn't over-power affairs with the current day.

:D You're not seeing things mate, StMick has a terrible knack of copying and pasting posts from other forums here.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby joko » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:42 pm

Big Niall wrote:I was a bit worried to hear Rafa talk about the amount of trophies he has won here, he included Charity shield, Super cup, (i.e. one off games) sounded like that idiot Houllier in his last days (should have fired him two years earlier).

The league is all that counts. The champions league is glorious but still a cup competition. The other trophies are all a bit mickey mouse nowdays.

Rafa's rotation policy makes me furious, His signings have been dodgy overall and I am not sure he understands the English game. However, he took over garbage from that idiot Houllier (who got paid £5m for to p!ss off, so maybe not a financial idiot, just a football one). The end of this season will show a lot.

In any event, I think we should give Rafa the next 2.5 years. After 5 years in charge no manager can complain about their failure to land their target (at whatever level the club is).

i'm not worry, rafa should say that always
the trophies need hard work, they didn't come by itself
you wouldn't be able even win a mickey mouse cup if you don't have a good enough team

okay, forget about the other cups, if would like to talk about the EPL cup only

we got chelsea, manure, and arsenal up there who also madly run after the cup. their team are more mature and experienced by the time rafa slotted in

how many years have rafa arrived? are you expecting within two years rafa could convert rubbish inherited from houllier into a squad that are capable to outplay alikes of chelsea who financially are beyond competition of landing any number one player in the world? mourinho, fergie, and wenger are not dumbs. they have money, they have good players and they've been on good run.

remember, rafa is only human, not god
god is robbie  :D
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:45 pm

A.B. wrote:
CharmlessMan wrote:
stmichael wrote:
Big Niall wrote:Evans was a good manager and greatly improved the club from Souness, a much better manager than the fool Houlier. However Evans lacked the steel a manager must have and should have pulled Fowler, mcmanaman, Collymore, FAt ruddock and others out of their laziness. Would never win the league against better managers like Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho.

Evans is a top man and a good (but not good enough) manager.

Firstly, Evans' control over the senior players was tenuous at best and a lot of the Spice Boys stories were more than true. He did well with the resources that he was given but the only times that the club didn't back him in the market was because the targets wanted astronomical wages, Marcel Desailly and Lilian Thuram prime examples of that.

Roy was and is Liverpool FC to the core but he just wasn't cut out to be a top level manager in that he spent so long as a successful coach that the transition to manager was just a step too far. All the players liked and got on with him really well but therein lies the problem. There has to be a distance between the players and the management and the fact that Roy was close to many of the players largely undermined his remit. It's for that reason, IMO, that Moores took the action he did.

Roy Evans will always be an Anfield legend whatever happens but it was the right decision to bring another man in.

I could of sworn someone on talklfc.com posted that earlier.  Puroresu, I agree entirely with your post about Evans, but we'll never know what he could of and would of done at Liverpool, we've got Rafa now so the Evans debate shouldn't over-power affairs with the current day.

:D You're not seeing things mate, StMick has a terrible knack of copying and pasting posts from other forums here.

..and claiming them as his own's :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion