Djibril cisse - What a massive season for him

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:35 pm

stmichael wrote:
yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
stmichael wrote:playing cisse on the right wing would be ludicrous in the long term. see diouf.

just like it was ludicrous to play natural centre forward ray kennedy on the left wing?

I'm sorry but you can't seriously compare Ray Kennedy to Djibril Cisse.

He doesn't have the close ball control needed for a good winger. He has a really good cross on him, and I think he is actually quite an aware player, but his ball control will let him down. I'm sorry but in the premiership, simply being able to run at players is not good enough. Cisse is an out and out striker and I hope to god he plays as one.

Pongolle on the other hand has good pace, and also has one of the best first touches out of anyone at the club from what I have seen. He could make the transition to a wide right player given a bit of training.

At the end of the day we still need a "natural" right winger. When you're away from home with not a lot of the ball, wingers like zenden and garcia offer no genuine pace or width so they're pretty much useless anyway.

Figo, come on down.

not all wingers are ball chewers in the peter thompson mould, in fact probably the clubs greatest servant ian callaghan just used to push the ball into the corners and get after it.
i think cisse is better going wide to find the space because as you say his close control isnt good enough for the cluttered central area`s, when he is in possession he is very poor at bringing other players into play and often over runs the ball. he looks more at home with space to run into and you also rightly mention he has a good cross on him. what more do you want out of a wide man. he`d probably chip in with a few goals too.
i think he is wasted in the centre because i just cant see him being the type of centre forward who gets the tap ins from five yards and the close range headers that are the bread and butter of a leader of the line.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Jan Cuelemans » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:50 pm

When ever I see Cisse play he seem to be trying too hard & things dont seam come off for the guy. He has bags of pace & if he could just get a couple of goals early in the regular season & start to relax a bit he'll come gome good.
The ofton underrated, Belgium Internalional Superstar !
Jan Cuelemans

Postby Gareth G » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:58 pm

Big Niall wrote:Rafa signed him not GH, remember Cisse saying he mightn't come if GH was sacked, he was and he came anyway. Rafa's buy.

I don't see £14m a good buy for "potential", he's quick but so is Linford Christie. I don't see a first touch or a good brain. Hopefully he can become another Thierri Henri (set the bar high or what). I HATE seeing him out on the wing trying to get in a cross, we didn't pay £14m for that. I said in another thread that he reminds me of collymore (style of play not :censored: attitude) which is worrying

All our strikers have potential but I don't see anyone who I can say "he'll score 20 league goals" the way we could with Fowler and then Owen.

That's wrong mate, Cisse said he was coming no matter what, even if Houllier wasn't going to be there. While we're on the Houllier note, he WAS the one responsible for him being here today. Houllier was the one who watched him ( scouted ), made the offer and signed him, but by the time Djibril came Rafa was in charge.

Another bit of information is, Rafa must rate Cisse, he was quoted saying he watched Cisse while at Valencia and wanted to bring him to Spain.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:44 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:as rafa would say.
"he has the right mentality!"
:D

very true.  He has the right mentality and has a bright future.  :)

Like St. Mike said, if only guys like harry kewell can have the same mentality.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:09 pm

Am predicitn him to be one of our  best players this season.But he shud be in the box more rather than the wing...lol :p
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:23 pm

why do people say he wasn't rafa's buy.

LFC were not obliged to buy him when GH sacked.

Rafa's responsible for him.

End of story.

You're way off the mark on this one.

Personal terms and everything were agreed before Benitez arrived at the club. The deal was done and dusted, all that was left was Cisse arriving at Anfield. The deal was done a month or so before the season ended. How can Benitez be responsible that? He can't, it's quite simple.

We don't know if Rafa would had bought him or showed interest in him and he did try to buy him I guarantee that we would had payed less than 14 million. It's not Rafa's buy, it never was. Houllier and Cisse agreed to a deal before Benitez was even considered to be our next manager.

End of story.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:48 pm

H_K_LFC wrote:Am predicitn him to be one of our  best players this season.But he shud be in the box more rather than the wing...lol :p

you`re right mate but i dont think he can lead the line in the conventional sense.
the players who have traditionally led the goalscoring charts are the poachers or the `foxes in the box.`
from players like rush and latchford to lineker and clive allen all the way through to the players who lead the modern scoring charts like van nistelrooy, shearer, owen and andy cole have all relied on the five yard tap in or close range header to make up the bulk of their goal return.
i cant imagine cisse hanging around the six yard box waiting to fling himself at a cross. i can see him scoring some crackers where he takes on a few men and powers it into the bottom corner from 18 yards but not see him pouncing on a keepers fumble or something. these scrambled type of goals are the lifeblood of a title winning side and i think cisse is the least likely of our strikers to develop into the poacher supreme. i think rafa see`s crouch in this role, before the mid eighties most teams had big men as the focal point of their attacks to cause havoc and get the messy goals ( joe jordan, paul mariner, peter withe etc) and i think rafa is going retro.
thats why i can see cisse playing wide right.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 65-1114725958 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:05 am

might not be a major season for him, if he breaks his leg again!
65-1114725958

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:09 am

Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:might not be a major season for him, if he breaks his leg again!

What type of a comment is that??  Christ ???
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:24 am

A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Group: LFC Premium Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of story.
a.b. is right this deal was tied up long before rafa arrived, even the wages were sorted, but to say this is a big season for djibril cisse is a under statement, i believe cisse will be amazing this season and with the midfield that can match any team in the premiership the service will be much better, yes he has a bit to learn but when he uses his pace properly and understands the flow of the game in england there will be no more debate.

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikopool » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:34 am

A.B. wrote:

End of story.

You're way off the mark on this one.

Personal terms and everything were agreed before Benitez arrived at the club. The deal was done and dusted, all that was left was Cisse arriving at Anfield. The deal was done a month or so before the season ended. How can Benitez be responsible that? He can't, it's quite simple.

We don't know if Rafa would had bought him or showed interest in him and he did try to buy him I guarantee that we would had payed less than 14 million. It's not Rafa's buy, it never was. Houllier and Cisse agreed to a deal before Benitez was even considered to be our next manager.

End of story.

A.B. wins

100% true, GH was trying to bring him in and Auxerre said " he is yours next season " so Liverpool pretty much waited, and in that year, GH was sacked and Rafalution came about

had GH not tried to bring him in, Cisse would not be a red.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby Red » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:56 am

When I watch Cisse all I see is him head straight for goal not matter where he is on the pitch or whether players are making quality runs in a better position, unless he is on the right wing. When he is on the wing he suddenly turns into a different player who is looking for a pass instead of a headlong train.

Until he can become a more complete striker who can offload at times, and in a perfect world improve his first touch, then I'd hae to say I prefer him on the wing. I dont think about the 14mil thats gone.
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion