Pace - Or lack of

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby akumaface » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:11 am

If you want big names, you can go to Qatar and Greek and get somebody like Rivaldo. He is definitely big. But the point is I think Alfonso_alonso want some big names in their prime. It ain't gonna happen as we only have 30Million to spend this year and can't spend all on one player only. I simply believe anyone paying over 15 million (even stretched a bit) for one player is plain stupid. Maybe if you want big names, go and become a Real Madrid fan. I would rather enjoy our own players become big. Just don't know why some people always thought the players from other team are better than the one we already have. We have already signed the biggest name in EPL....Peter Crouch. I'm sure the size of the name on his back would be the biggest name there is. :D
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Red_Rob » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:06 am

john craig wrote:Zenden (I'll have to disagree with you here) is actually very quick

I guess my main concern with pace is with the wide midfielders and yes Zenden is quick but he has definately not got the explosive pace of say Robben or SWP. I know we play a different style to Chelsea but without Robben or Duff they were not nearly as effective and had to rely on the quality of the rest of the team, which we don't quite have yet, in getting quite a lot of 1-0 wins and were nowhere near as effective without one or two of the wingers. It would be nice to have that outlet so when you are defending you can to give it to them so they can run at the opposition and turn defence into attack in a matter of seconds. Cisse has this explosive pace but he tends to hit the ball past a player rather than run with the ball under control ala Henry.

Also about the big name signings- We don't have the resources to spend £20m+ on a 'star' player especially when the squad has needed to be boosted like it has. I think perhaps next season when we are buying players we may spend a bit more on each player to get 2-3 players in as we will have a stronger squad already and maybe not need to add as many names.
Red_Rob

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:30 pm

BID NAME SIGNINGS....

GERRARD and CARRAGHER...

For me those two where the biggest signing anywhere in Europe.

I've been really impressed with ZENDON and if FIGO arrives I'll be a very happy guy.

Pepe
Finnan  Carragher  Hypia  Risse
Figo      Gerrard    Alonso   Zendon
Cisse  Morientes

And you can also rotate with Crouch (good signing), Hamman (World Class) and hopefully Speedy Gonzales when he is fit

Looks good to me peeps!

Walk on!!!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:56 pm

Red_Rob wrote:
john craig wrote:Zenden (I'll have to disagree with you here) is actually very quick

I guess my main concern with pace is with the wide midfielders and yes Zenden is quick but he has definately not got the explosive pace of say Robben or SWP. I know we play a different style to Chelsea but without Robben or Duff they were not nearly as effective and had to rely on the quality of the rest of the team, which we don't quite have yet, in getting quite a lot of 1-0 wins and were nowhere near as effective without one or two of the wingers. It would be nice to have that outlet so when you are defending you can to give it to them so they can run at the opposition and turn defence into attack in a matter of seconds. Cisse has this explosive pace but he tends to hit the ball past a player rather than run with the ball under control ala Henry.

You're right in saying we need an outlet.  From what I've seen from Zenden, he will hug the touchline and give us just that.  Zenden may not have the pace of SWP or Robben over longer distances (although he did in his barce days), but what he does have is great acceleration off the mark and quickness in turning, which is sufficient for getting just beyond your marker and getting in a good cross.  If Kewell gets himself sorted out he is capable of this also and hopefully Gonzalez can do this as well.

As for the Henry/Cisse comparison there, you're right in saying Cisse isn't as good at running with the ball at his feet at pace, but to be honest there is no player in the world that can match Henry at doing that.  Even Shevchenko/Eto'o will knock the ball and run just like Cisse does.  IMO Henry is almost unique at being able to do that
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:40 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:
daddyo wrote:Anyways with big names come big wages and big reputations.

These players usually havetomake it otherwise they end up costing the club and ultimatlely the manager.

I think Rafa prefers to work with what he knows rather than go for big names.

I know what i'd rather see- and thats the RIGHT NAME  as opposed to the big name.

If you doubt me -ask any Leeds Utd fan.

Not to mention big egos.

A player with a big name isn't everything and it's far better if they get a big name at from playing for us. It is usually the case that the big name is gained from talent, but talent dwindles with age and is neive in youth. Big names in their peak cost at least £15m and we need to build a squad before we break the bank on a superstar.

But it would be nice to have Raul, Kaka, Ronaldhino and Henry all sporting Carlsberg.

As for pace, I don't see the problem. Sami and Didi are the only slow ones. Cisse is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) in the league (if not the world) and the rest have got the pace to cope, I'm sure.

it looks like you want a race to see if cisse is the fastest.

:)  That would be SO cool! 100m dash, Cisse, Rommedahl and SWP would all definatly be in it. Oh the fun we could have.
:D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:55 pm

Agree that pace is must have in the prem just as much as a target man. for me though if we can get pace at the back (Jorge Andre) we can play much higher up the pitch which is rafas chosen method.  Alot of the time carra and Sami got caught, as thier recovery pace isnt the best, from a lofted ball over the top.

i think if we can sought that then having pace down the sides isn't as important as the oppositin defence will mostly play very deep. There wont be space to run into anyway.  Just need a player with techinique and positioning for the wing position. .
109-1093441336

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion