Pace - Or lack of

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red_Rob » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:21 pm

I am fairly happy with the new acquisitions to the squad but still feel we lack real pace in the side. The prem has always been won by a side with at least one pacy winger like Overmars and Giggs who can run with the ball at speed. For Blackburn Ripley and Wilcox were very good for a time and we all saw what Robben and Duff did last season. These are the types of players that make the difference especially when soaking up pressure away from home then breaking at speed or in tight games.

We all know that Liverpool have lacked real pace in a wide man for a while now. I am pleased with the signing of Zenden as he has a fair few attributes but electric pace is not one of them. Likewise if Figo comes i will be delighted but we know he can't run at defenders quite like he used to. We don't know who we will get at right midfield quite yet but Figo still looks the favourite and I havn't really heard any other players mentioned apart from Rafa saying we are looking at options for the right (could be just to call Real's bluff).

I am really hoping that Mark Gonzalez can recover fully from his injury as I have a feeling he could be a key player for us. I will be the first to admit that I have not seen an awful lot of him but what I have seen from him is genuine pace. It's such a shame that he is injured but a wise move to take him on loan first.

I think we are also lacking a bit of pace up front as well. We have Cisse of course but with Pongolle out for the time being and being unsure how much he will feature next season we don't have an awful lot of back up. I like Pongolle and definately think he will have a role to play for us and hope he is given a chance when needed. It looks like Baros may be on his way and Morientes and Crouch offer nothing in the speed department.

At the back I think Steve Finnan, although vastly improved, still lacks pace for a full back and can sometimes get skinned too easily. I am sure that a centre back will be brought in as we need at least one new pacy defender. Sami is not getting any younger and although he has never been blessed with pace it has been exposed more often in the prem recently.

I am pleased that the squad has been bolstered as injuries where major issue for us last season even though it was freakish to have so many. I just hope the next couple of signings and the return of Mark Gonzalez can be the icing on the cake for what promises to be an exciting season for us.
Red_Rob

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:11 pm

Wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

Cisse is like lightening, Baros is quick, Zenden (I'll have to disagree with you here) is actually very quick.  Figo if he comes, is similar to Beckham when he played wide, in that his crossing is so good he doesn't need to beat the full back first.

After that, Pongolle and Gonzalez will have pace when they get back from injury, Riise has good pace, Gerrard has good pace.......

Apart from Sami at the back, I have no real concerns about the general pace in the side at the moment.  Hopefully someone like Milito can be brought in to address this weakness at the back.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1114725958 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:19 pm

Considering Rafa, was yapping on about Gonzales's pace, we aint gonna get to see it until November ish. so if he aint gonna reco ver until then, we cant exactly call him speedy gonzales!

what we also have a lack of is.........................Big name signings.!...Bolo Zenden i the only one of note!

The rest, untested or unproven at this level, barring the keeper really, which isnt that important really.
65-1114725958

Postby A.B. » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:28 pm

what we also have a lack of is.........................Big name signings.!

We don't have 250 million pounds to buy ''galacticos''.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:24 pm

A.B. wrote:
what we also have a lack of is.........................Big name signings.!

We don't have 250 million pounds to buy ''galacticos''.

And even if we did look at the likes of real madrid they can but all the galacticos on the planet but it doesn't make them a good team. It's all about teamwork and determination football. And Real Madrid play as individuals and don't pass and therefore it hasn't brought them much success over the last few years.

So having big name signings may make your team worse not better.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:40 pm

I have to admit that I wanted to see "big names" this summer but I have completely turned around, I have watched the signings come in and am very pleased with what I have seen so far. We have a mixture of experienced players and young talents and I think that the immediate future and long term future looks very bright.
Big names? did the Gooners complain about the lack of "big nam,es" when Viera, Henry, Pires were bought? I doubt it.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:50 pm

Rescent players that have been signed by Arsenal:

-Fabregas
-Flamini
-Senderos
-Van Persie

None of them are "big names" but they played their part last season and have bright futures ahead of them.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby RedorDead » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:43 pm

A.B...my point was that Viera, henry and Pires weren't big names when they signed, they became big names, HUGE names in fact because of coaching and experience.....just like the players you listed may well end up as superstars. This is what I like about Rafa...Alonso is showing real class, Garcia with a bit more work and discipline could become a huge star and has broken into the Spanish national team, hopefully Gonzalez and Barragn and Sissoko are this calibre of player, Sissoko certainly looked good to me the other night.
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:50 pm

gerrard,cisse,xabi,morientes  how they not big names.? ???
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby philchampionsl2005 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:50 pm

I agree with think we made the biggest signing this summer with Gerrard stayin again
Zenden- good consistant player
Crouch - 15+ goals a season i think
Reina - looks good but hasn't been tested
Sissoko - has a good reputation but looks a little nervous hopes he plays in nxt cl game to calm him
Gonzalez - a speedy winger with the ability to beat players
Barragan - never heard of him but rafa knows what he's doin
next signing has got to be Figo and a cb (milito or Gallas) and i think this would be a good summer with spending upto about 25 million if include new cb which is not bad considering when houllier was in charge that 20 million was spent on the nxt henry(diouf),vieira(diao) and zidane (cheyrou) and rafa has built a new squad with this monet
philchampionsl2005

Postby RedorDead » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:03 am

gerrard,cisse,xabi,morientes  how they not big names.?

Gerrard has become a big name at our club, Morientes I agree is a big name player but Xabi has become a star while with us and Cisse had more potential then "big name" status when he was signed by Houllier.
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daddyo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:35 am

Anyways with big names come big wages and big reputations.

These players usually havetomake it otherwise they end up costing the club and ultimatlely the manager.

I think Rafa prefers to work with what he knows rather than go for big names.

I know what i'd rather see- and thats the RIGHT NAME  as opposed to the big name.

If you doubt me -ask any Leeds Utd fan.
daddyo

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:54 am

daddyo wrote:Anyways with big names come big wages and big reputations.

These players usually havetomake it otherwise they end up costing the club and ultimatlely the manager.

I know what i'd rather see- and thats the RIGHT NAME  as opposed to the big name.

Not to mention big egos.

A player with a big name isn't everything and it's far better if they get a big name at from playing for us. It is usually the case that the big name is gained from talent, but talent dwindles with age and is neive in youth. Big names in their peak cost at least £15m and we need to build a squad before we break the bank on a superstar.

But it would be nice to have Raul, Kaka, Ronaldhino and Henry all sporting Carlsberg.

As for pace, I don't see the problem. Sami and Didi are the only slow ones. Cisse is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) in the league (if not the world) and the rest have got the pace to cope, I'm sure.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skipper » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:33 am

The Ace1983 wrote:

Not to mention big egos.

A player with a big name isn't everything and it's far better if they get a big name at from playing for us. It is usually the case that the big name is gained from talent, but talent dwindles with age and is neive in youth. Big names in their peak cost at least £15m and we need to build a squad before we break the bank on a superstar.

But it would be nice to have Raul, Kaka, Ronaldhino and Henry all sporting Carlsberg.

As for pace, I don't see the problem. Sami and Didi are the only slow ones. Cisse is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) in the league (if not the world) and the rest have got the pace to cope, I'm sure.

Yes.

I'd rather have alonso become a superstar here than buying him from a team after he has gained the superstar status.  It's always nice watching young players improve on their way to becoming superstars.

Sami and Didi arent fast but they are strong, so there shouldnt be a problem.  Late in the cl final, Didi took the ball from rui costa and even though rui costa was faster, Didi just shrugged off rui costa who was trying to grab him from behind, and kept on going.  I think we have a good mix of pace (cisse, baros, riise) and good size and strength (hyypia, hamman, and crouch).
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:03 am

The Ace1983 wrote:

Not to mention big egos.

it looks like you want a race to see if cisse is the fastest.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion