Pace - ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:26 pm

What the :censored: are you on about? :laugh:

I understand we need a replacement for Big Sami. But that player must be of the same class AT LEAST. For now, Sami is still good enough, he's got at least another season in him. Next seasons budget on a centre back and left winger. This seasons on THE right winger.
115-1073096938

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:00 pm

This thread was started about pace,why is there an obsession ?

Have you found the answer your looking for yet  ? 

:D
66-1112520797

Postby A.B. » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:28 pm

Stu do you still want to know why pace is important to a defender these days?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby XSD » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:37 pm

I wish this thread had been saved for after the weekend now.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:14 pm

If the more recent posts are suggesting as I think they are that a lack of pace in Hyppia was significant in Liverpools defeat today then I have to say I don't necessarily agree. He got done by a piece of skill by Drogba which would have done for most, and I don't think he was anymore at fault than anybody else for the other goals. I'm all for buying a centre-back with pace and god knows we need another as cover anyway as we've only got two in the whole club of note, but to use the display today as a rod with which to beat up Hyppia is a little unfair in my book.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:31 am

You need pace at the back to recover from errors and mistakes. And defence was the most error prone I've seen all season.

We got caught for all 4 goals due to a lack of pace. The last one was just laughable how quickly Chelsea got numbers into the box.

Hyppia has enough experience not to get skinned like he did, or at least to make it difficult for Drogba to pick his pass. But if we're counting on his experience to overcome his lack of pace, forget it.

The game has passed him by and we're paying for it dearly.
tel

Postby XSD » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:38 pm

bigmick wrote:If the more recent posts are suggesting as I think they are that a lack of pace in Hyppia was significant in Liverpools defeat today then I have to say I don't necessarily agree. He got done by a piece of skill by Drogba which would have done for most, and I don't think he was anymore at fault than anybody else for the other goals. I'm all for buying a centre-back with pace and god knows we need another as cover anyway as we've only got two in the whole club of note, but to use the display today as a rod with which to beat up Hyppia is a little unfair in my book.

Not Hyypia's fault, but it definetely dispells the idea our defence is perfect. Traore is poor and was totally exposed, Hyypia had a bad game and looked vulnerable as well.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Houllier=LFC » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:26 pm

Its not just a matter of pace for Hyppia, his reactions are way too slow now to deal with fast players on the ground.
Houllier=LFC

Postby maximus » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:51 pm

Can anyone please tell me when Hyppia EVER had 'pace' in all his time with LFC    ???
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:09 pm

I think it's right in saying you don't exactly need a really pacey centre back, but you don't want someone who can't move faster than the 32 on a saturday either.

It's all about reading the game as most of you know, if you can read the game you don't have to be faster than s*it of a shovel because you know what the opposition is going to do next.

If we are going to go for a player who in my opinion, has both qualities as well as youth is Ledley King. He has been exemplery on the international stage which shows he can stand the heat. I'm not saying Hyypia can't take the pressure I just feel he cant play so many games as he was able to do.

Even though Ledley King may be expensive due to the fact he is English, we all know that we will have a Premiership quality defender he can slot right in alongside Jamie Carragher with Hyypia and Whitbread as back up.

To finish this one off, if you are obsessed with pace.....
pick Ledley

If you believe someone who can read the game is more important than pace.

pick Ledley.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:51 pm

I don't believe he's the answer. From what i've seen i think he's lacking technically and i don't believe he has good enough positional sense. Also i'm not sure about his reading of the game or Ariel ability.

Granted i haven't seen him ALOT, but frmo what i've seen he's not the answer.
115-1073096938

Postby XSD » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:53 pm

Ledly King can head balls out of the air all day. He has made the occasional mistake but he has a lot of ability and can read the movement of a ball well.
Last edited by XSD on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:47 am

And the chances of him coming to LFC border on the anorexically slim. Jol's not daft.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:36 pm

Hyypia Stu is playing very poorly and has been for a while. I for one have never said we need just a pacey :censored: centre half. Just more quality, Sami clearly isn't there anymore and you r judgement is based on a few good games last year and the past seasons but good things come to an end.
As for robben, imo no way near best left sided player in the world.

Sami gets done for pace a hell of a lot. If we had a cb who was clasy and pacey along side carra you might find that rafa would push our midfield and defence higher up therefore we would be more offensive and probably more successful. Dont bring the cl win up because how great that was, it was great, we aren't probably gonna do that for a while again.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:46 pm

I've said before on a number of occasions that Ledley King is the answer to any questions about a centre-half that I can think of. He is brilliant in the air, he gives you pace, power and positional sense in equal measure. He is a monster of a man and one you would want on your side in the trenches.
He's just come back from injury so hasn't been in the headlines but watch Spurs on the SKY and you'll see, he is the one I'd break the bank for. The fella who said earlier that someone like him would allow you to defend higher up the pitch is spot on. Zero chance of us signing him to be fair but he's the defender we need if you ask me, though nobody did.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion