Pace - ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby drummerphil » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:01 pm

Pace you say....well Linford christie would have been shagged without any.
Having a player with pace is great if his end result is also great.I,ve seen far too many players over the years that are lightening quick but the end result has been awful.Prime recent example of that was Jesper Gronkjaer when he was at Chelsea never seen anyone in recent time who crossing was that bad.I prefer a player who is quicker in the brain who can turn a game in one movement,if this player has pace as well great thats a bonus.I feel a perfect recent  example of that was Teddy Sheringham at his best,in times gone by king Kenny.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:01 pm

When you are playing against people like Kaka you need someone who can get back from the halfway line fast enough, remember that ball to Crespo (it was an amazing ball I won't take anything away from that), Hyypia was about one foot short of cutting it out. That little bit does count.
Generally I agree though, Carragher and Hyypia are a very solid partnership.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:02 pm

Alonso14 wrote:The guy may have a point, i mean carraghers not exactly quick but he is in the top 3 center backs in england along with Terry who also lacks pace, but argubaly the best Ferdinhand has bags of it and thats what might jst give him the edge over Terry or Carra.

What is this with Rio Ferdinand?  :no

Ferdinand is a classic case of modern football's obsession with style over substance.

He is a brilliant athlete, with a terrific touch and is wonderful on the ball.

However, the guy is not a particularly good defender. He has no bottle and he is often at fault for goals Man UTD concede.

John Terry, Jamie Carragher, Robert Ayala, Cannavaro, Paulo Maldini, Robert Kovac, Lilliam Thuram....now they are real defenders.
:no  :no
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:08 pm

XSD wrote:When you are playing against people like Kaka you need someone who can get back from the halfway line fast enough, remember that ball to Crespo (it was an amazing ball I won't take anything away from that), Hyypia was about one foot short of cutting it out. That little bit does count.
Generally I agree though, Carragher and Hyypia are a very solid partnership.

i`m sure that was carragher that tried the last ditch lunge to block out the pass from kaka that put crespo away (and what a pass by the way) and not hypia.
i could be wrong though mate.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby XSD » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:18 pm

It was Hyypia, I'm fairly sure.
Last edited by XSD on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:23 pm

No it was Carragher.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:25 pm

A.B. wrote:No it was Carragher.

Correct, definitely Carragher
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:15 pm

What is this with Rio Ferdinand?   

Ferdinand is a classic case of modern football's obsession with style over substance.

However, the guy is not a particularly good defender. He has no bottle and he is often at fault for goals Man UTD concede.

John Terry, Jamie Carragher, Robert Ayala, Cannavaro, Paulo Maldini, Robert Kovac, Lilliam Thuram....now they are real defenders.

Completely disagree.

The mans complete class. As much as i hate to admit it he's excellent. Superb composure, carries the ball out superbly, dominant in the air, quick, reads the game and is pysically very strong. He's easily one of the top three centre halfs in world football.
115-1073096938

Postby andy_g » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:36 am

agree about ferdinand. while the guy is obviously a complete and utter thick wanker he's a hell of a player.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:13 am

I love you watch Hypia play, it is amazing how many headers he gets out of defense, it is like aposing  teams actually try to pick him out.
Maybe there is a reason why i like Hypia and why i was exstatic when Crouch signed......

p.s i am 6f6
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:28 am

A.B. wrote:No it was Carragher.

Alright, but the point is still made, those kind of situations are where having a bit of pace can save a game.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:02 am

stu_the_red wrote:
What is this with Rio Ferdinand?   

Completely disagree.

The mans complete class. As much as i hate to admit it he's excellent. Superb composure, carries the ball out superbly, dominant in the air, quick, reads the game and is pysically very strong. He's easily one of the top three centre halfs in world football.

Have to disagree there Stu, three of the names JBG mention are better than Rio -Thuram, Cannavaro and Maldini.
Though I am not arguing that Rio is good, I have to (again!) agree with JBG about 'bottle', he just doesnt have it, and wont put his face (and body for that matter) where it hurts.

Also, on a sidenote, you mentioned he was 'quick' as one of his qualities or attributes that make him 'class', but I thought 'pace' or 'quick'ness and the importance of it (or not in your reasoning for the initial post) was not the be all and end all. :P
I know you said it is about qulaity and ability first, but as you have seen from what you said yourself, to be on that 'top' or 'world class' level, you do (in most cases) need a decent amount of 'pace'.
76-1115222408

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:38 am

Clearly if two defenders who are identical in every way except for pace, the quicker one would be the more valuable player. Pace is not an obsession but in modern football it is very important. It is a get out of jail card because nobody reads it, gets right side every single time.
You need pace at the back because it allows you to defend with a higher line. I'm not sure I understand the point of the thread really. It's obvious isn't it? Pace is very important.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:13 am

we need a younger centre half who will naturally be quicker than sami. Carra at the mo is playing so well that he carries sammis mistakes. The incident in the match on wed. Robben went at sami and we all  knew that he wanted to come onto his left. Carra wouldn't allow this but sami couldn't stop it cos of his real lack of pace.

Its early in the season and im sure that eventually teams are gonna get quite a few goals when carras off form because sami will def get caught out. Hope to god that we get the cb we so clearly need.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:43 pm

Have to disagree there Stu, three of the names JBG mention are better than Rio -Thuram, Cannavaro and Maldini.
Though I am not arguing that Rio is good, I have to (again!) agree with JBG about 'bottle', he just doesnt have it, and wont put his face (and body for that matter) where it hurts.

Also, on a sidenote, you mentioned he was 'quick' as one of his qualities or attributes that make him 'class', but I thought 'pace' or 'quick'ness and the importance of it (or not in your reasoning for the initial post) was not the be all and end all. :P
I know you said it is about qulaity and ability first, but as you have seen from what you said yourself, to be on that 'top' or 'world class' level, you do (in most cases) need a decent amount of 'pace'

My point is Ferdinand has it ALL.

we need a younger centre half who will naturally be quicker than sami. Carra at the mo is playing so well that he carries sammis mistakes. The incident in the match on wed. Robben went at sami and we all  knew that he wanted to come onto his left. Carra wouldn't allow this but sami couldn't stop it cos of his real lack of pace.

Its early in the season and im sure that eventually teams are gonna get quite a few goals when carras off form because sami will def get caught out. Hope to god that we get the cb we so clearly need.

We clearly need a centre half as keeping 4 clean sheets in 5 games isnt' acceptable. Especially since we haven't played any top 10 or even top 3 sides.

Also, god forbid Sami being skinned by probably the worlds best left sided player. How :censored: he must be. :no

Clearly if two defenders who are identical in every way except for pace, the quicker one would be the more valuable player. Pace is not an obsession but in modern football it is very important. It is a get out of jail card because nobody reads it, gets right side every single time.
You need pace at the back because it allows you to defend with a higher line. I'm not sure I understand the point of the thread really. It's obvious isn't it? Pace is very important.

Couldn't disagree more mate, thats all people ever bang on about. Pace, pace and more pace.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion