magic moments - games never to be forgotten

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:40 pm

This game is not one of the all time classics, but for some reason it is a game I ALWAYS remember as i was at Highbury for the game as a youngster just aged 12.

It was the FA Cup semi final against Portsmouth in 1992.

Before the game there was a lot of talk about this youngster named 'Darren Anderton'. It was inevitable that he was going to score especially after the way the BBC had been raving about him.

I remember it so well because my dad wanted to leave with 10mins left so as not to get stuck in traffic, i had to beg him saying 'please dad, we are gonna score, please!!!!' he relented and once we got that free-kick on the edge of the box, and saw Barnesy standing over it i knew we would score.
He it the post and i jumped, then gasped as it came back out, then jumped again once Ronnie Whelan stuck into the back of the net. Happy days, omg, that was heart wrenching stuff, even as a 12yr old boy.

I have always hated Anderton since then, and i always believed that that goal he scored in extra ime is what got him his 'big' move. I really hate this guy you know, and this has just remeinded me how mch so......Actually im going to the 'who would you like to punch' thread right now  :laugh:

Team that day :
Grobbelaar, Jones, Burrows (Venison), Nicol, Whelan, Wright, McManaman, Houghton (Marsh), Rush, Barnes, Thomas
76-1115222408

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games