magic moments - games never to be forgotten

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:55 pm

What about the McAllister free kick in the last minute of the derby at Goodison Park 2001?  I had all the lads around in my house and my two brothers watching it, you should have seen us all jumping when that went in, makes my hairs on my arms stand up when I think about it!!!!

Then it was straight round the pub afterwards to have banter with two of my Evertonian mates who went to the game.

It was priceless!!!!
jonnymac1979

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:28 pm

Too young to remember some past great games, I dont think so gentlemen.

Let me take you back, two years, ten months and 17 days ago. The Westfalenstadion in the busy city of Dortmund Germany. A day every Liverpool supporter of the current generation will remember with warm memories.

The pre match atmosphere in the small square in the middle of a busy Dortmund shopping area was electric. Fresh from the red hot day at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff when Michael Owen single handidly (well Berger deserves a mention for the pass, and that save from Henchoz was world class) won the FA Cup against a Gunners side who looked sure to steam roller the reds at half time.

It seemed as though the whole of Anfield Stadium had poured into the small opening behind the shops where the stage was set up. Gary McAllister's father lead the singing on stage, assisted by Cast. Eric Meijer led the singing (and the drinking) in the crowd, and games of keepy up with inflatable beach balls broke out all over the thousands strong crowd.

Then it was all on the underground system, packed in like sardines, but still singing loudly. All off and then we tried to find the beer tents outside the ground. Then the Liverpool team bus pulled up towards the ground. How the driver on the bus got a job is anyones guess, it took the guy fifty plus attempts to get thru the gates, and even then he took the post with him.

As we filed into the ground, we looked round for the alaves supporters, where where they? It was like a home game, the travelling Kop filling all four sides of the ground apart from half of one end behind the goal.

"The good thing about this team..." Mr Houllier lamented following what many beleive was the greatest European tie ever played out "...is that you never feel there is a split or lack of togetherness when something goes wrong"

How right those words were. As the match kicked off, the noise was deafining. Not since the Glory days of yesteryear had the players, people and supporters of Liverpool felt the great sense of Spirit and togetherness that had come flooding back on that magical night in Germany.

In little under five minutes, the press men who had talked of boring Liverpool and dull scoreless draws were made to eat their words. A towering header from the majestic Babbel had put the reds into the lead, and the Westfalenstadion went crazy. Of the reported sixty five thousand attendees, around fifty thousand must surely have been wearing the mighty Liver bird upon their chests.

After just under quarter of an hour, and following a number of decent chances Gerrard superbly picked up Owens pass (yes pass) and drilled the ball low into the corner to Herrera's left. The reds looked rampant, but in all honesty it was alaves who made us look good. Maybe the occasion of the clubs first major final was getting to the players.

Reds could have been forgiven for thinking this was going to be a breeze. This thought was highlighted when Alaves decided to make a rather early looking change. Ivan Alonso replaced a dejected looking Eggen, and it proved to be a master stroke from the Alaves management. Alaves looked like a totally different outfit and it took the substitute little more than five minutes to score, GAME ON.

As half time creeped up, Owen was fouled in the area, and to the joy of every red the referee, Mr Veissiere awarded a penalty. Gary " cool as a cucumber" McAllister steped up and slotted the spot kick with the usual aplomb. Three one up at half time, reds fans where well happy, and many beleived the defensive tendencies would kick in and see Liverpool through to the final whistle.

WRONG. As was often the case, the Liverpool players seemed to be half asleep at the start of the second half, and the impressive Javi Moreno scored twice early on to level the game, and Liverpool looked rattled. chances for both sides followed, before Mr Houllier replaced Heskey with Robbie Fowler with little more than fifteen minutes left on the clock. Who else but Roberto Fowleros popped up soon after with a typically instinctive half volley to put the reds ahead once more.

Surely the drama was over now. WRONG who else but the ex-Man United midfielder and son of Dutch legend Johan Cruyff, Jordi slotted a good header from inside the penalty area, forcing extra time.

Not only extra time, but Golden Goal. The nerves were unreal. We only had to score to win, but if we were to concede, the treble dream was over. There were chances for both sides, and Sander Westerveld made a great save to keep us in the game. Every one was looking around the pitch for possible penalty takers. Carragher was high on the list after his top corner one against crying Birmingham in the Millenium Stadium win in March.

A free kick was awarded near the corner of the penalty area. McAllister stepped up to take it and Almost everyone piled into the box. After the trademark dummy, McAllister powered a dangerous free kick into the danger zone.

Was it just me or did it all happen in slow motion? The unfortunate Geli got the final touch, but no body seemed to care. The stadium went totally beserk. Men hugged men, jumped around and some even kissed one another. John Aldridge who must have been in the commentary position at the opposite end from the goal was mobbed as he jumped around and cheered with the fans.

What a year, what a night and what an horrendous 18 hour journey home on the Barnes coach. It was worth it though.

:laugh:

:D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:35 pm

for me i'll never forget the 2-0 home victory over roma in the champions league a couple of years back. not only because it was houllier's first game back in the dugout after his heart surgery, but just the atmosphere in the stadium. it was frightening. roma must have been sh#tt#ng themselves. the fact we scored early helped aswell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:38 pm

The fact that the referee could not differerentiate between a corner and a penalty helped also....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:48 pm

no that was in the uefa cup during the treble season. the match i mean was the season after. we had to win by two goals to go into the quarters. goals from litmanan and heskey put us through. we should have made the final that season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:49 pm

See boys? The happy days aren't that far away in the past - we're not as doomed as a lot of people think...

We'll be back
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:28 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:I remember the 1989 FA Cup Final. Beautiful and brilliant.

The 3-3 with Manchester United a few years back.

But my favourite match of all time?

The FA Premiership match of April 1996 at Anfield against Newcastle United. The 4-3.

It was priceless. The greatest Premiership match ever, and our kit was f##king superb. The last Adidas kit.

That last minute goal by Stan Collymore. We were awesome that night.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Couldnt agree more, that was the most exciting game ever
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leoliv » Sat May 08, 2004 1:17 pm

The mother of all magic moments...........................

BABB :D

his desperate slide to save a goal for our great team against chelsea..............hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hhahahahaaaahahahahahahahahhahahhahha  :D     :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
leoliv

Postby fritzylfc » Mon May 10, 2004 6:56 pm

the spurs game7-0. as already mentioned it was backed up liverpool 5 derby 0 the kop singing we need ascoreboard. we did then not so much under this regime.
fritzylfc

Postby KennyisGod....still » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:26 pm

No-one recall the game against forest at Anfield in 87/88? Even Tom finney described that as "One of the finest exhibitions of football I have ever seen in my life." So good it was released on video, the whole 90 minutes. i don';t recall Forest ever gettin near to creatin a chance, let alone scorin. To be honest, we won 5-0 and they were lucky to walk away with that 0 against their name!!
Those were the days, but given chance, time and money benitez could do it for us. Lets be fair and say we got a darn sight better lookin team now, playin attractive football and fightin for the cause. Olympiacos was awesome, shame it didnt get carried over to Everton, but we gotta put up with that til Benitez has his own side, his own players and we get more than Milan and a couple of kids up front!
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:11 pm

Magic moments of the year 2004:

Liverpool vs. Olympiakos (3-1)
Liverpool vs. Arsenal (2-1)
Fulham vs. Liverpool (2-4)
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:56 am

3-2 agianst Palace was good as well, with Baros scoring in the 90th minute to complete his hat-trick.  :)
Last edited by LFC #1 on Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby patkennelly » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:39 am

tockycol wrote:Two games i will never forget. Firstly NOTTS FOREST at Anfield in the 1987-88 season,i have still yet to see a better game of football. 5-0 HOUGHTON,ALDRIDGE 2, BEARDSLEY GILLESPIE.

BUT my all time fav has to be 1978-79 7-0 thrashing of spurs
to witness that TERRY Mc goal was something i can take to my grave with me.
DALGLISH2,R,KENNEDY, JOHNSON, 2, NEAL, McDERMOTT

Does anybody have a video of the notts forest at anfield game 87/88 [email]season....cheers.....Pat_kennelly@hotmail.com[/email]
patkennelly

Postby red187 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:37 pm

Guess the FA cup final against Arsenal, just because we were so poor 4 almost the whole match. The 4 goal line blocks, babble pushing keown out of the way 4 the 1st, bergers 50yrd pass, owens sweetest left foot finish, the fact that i was sitting with my brother-in-law & his son who r both gunners & the look on their faces when the final whistle blew & i made them watch the trophey presentation.
red187

Postby Dalglish » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:23 am

Where do I start , I'm like a kid in a Sweet Shop picking out my personal faves........

10. Liverpool 5 Nottinghms Forest 0 -1988 Tom Finney was right as was Brian Clough, simply breathtaking performance.

9. Liverpool 3 St Etienne 1 Quarter Finak European Cup 1977 - Quite simply the nosiest KOP ever

8. Liverpool 7 Spurs 0 1978

7. Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 - 1996

6. Liverpool 3 Everton 2 - FA Cup Final 1989

5. Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0 Euopean Cup Semi Final 2005 - Frighteningly noisy on the KOP and personally the most passionate home game I've ever been to .

4. Liverpool 1 Roma 0 1984 European Cup Final

3. Liverpool 5 Alaves 4 2001 UEFA Cup Final - See Leons comments above

2. Liverpool 3 AC Milan 3 2005 Euopean Cup Final

1. Liverpool 3 Broussia Munch 1  - 1977 Final European Cup

:p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games