Patrick vieira - What happened

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:28 pm

john craig wrote:I am a bit shocked that Vieira has left, but then I remember thinking arsenal were fu.cked when they sold Petit and Overmars to barce, and they just brought in better players and hardly missed those boys.

With Gilberto back, Flamini and fabregas getting better, and with Hleb and Ljungberg able to play centrally, I don't think Arsenal will be weakened that much.

They can use the money to get a much-needed top striker.  Once again I think Wenger has made a smart, if unpopular, move.

i think they`ll miss his physical prescence mate, the other players you mention are cultured but lack a bit of dog.
if cole cant resolve his contract dispute and decides to go as well i think they`ll be under a bit of pressure if they dont start the season too well. it`s not good for the morale of the other players to see two key players in their recent success leave the club.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:02 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
john craig wrote:I am a bit shocked that Vieira has left, but then I remember thinking arsenal were fu.cked when they sold Petit and Overmars to barce, and they just brought in better players and hardly missed those boys.

With Gilberto back, Flamini and fabregas getting better, and with Hleb and Ljungberg able to play centrally, I don't think Arsenal will be weakened that much.

They can use the money to get a much-needed top striker.  Once again I think Wenger has made a smart, if unpopular, move.

i think they`ll miss his physical prescence mate, the other players you mention are cultured but lack a bit of dog.
if cole cant resolve his contract dispute and decides to go as well i think they`ll be under a bit of pressure if they dont start the season too well. it`s not good for the morale of the other players to see two key players in their recent success leave the club.

You're right about the physical presence there, but to be honest, in terms of morale its better to ship vieira out if his heart's not in it anymore.  The fact that wenger didnt put up much of a fight to keep him says it all for me.  You never know what was going on behind the scenes there.

If you look at Vieira's performances last season, he was not playing his best football by any stretch of the imagination.  So IMO, they will not miss him so much this season as he wasn't that great a lot of last season anyway.  If he had left last summer, they'd have missed him immensely
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:26 pm

Wow, that move came from left of field, seeing how Arsenal battled so hard to keep him over the years.

He is arguably past his best (arguably) but I'm not sure you can just replace Vieria like you'd replace Overmars or Petit.

You have to admire Wenger on this, he sure knows when to be ruthless.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion