Patrick vieira - What happened

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby ALONSO_14 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:53 pm

a year ago arsenal had teams such as real madrid interested in signing vieira and arsenal were desperately trying to make sure he didnt go and real were offering £30m to arsenal for him but they failed and vieira stayed. it was all over the papers

then a year later juve are interested in signing him, they are offering £5m + appiah for him but arsenal want 12m, they dont want to let him go but are willing to. the media arent making this anywere near as big a story as last year

why has his price more than halved, arsenal are suddenly willing to let him go and the media arent making it as big a story
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:38 pm

Yeah i thought this strange initially, but then when I thought about it, Vieira was pretty inconsistent last season, nowhere near the level he reached the season before.

He is 29 now, no youngster, and has been at the club 9 years.  I just think he has gone stale at arsenal and badly needs a change in club to bring out the best in him.

What I found stranger was reports that arsenal are ready to sell Pires to Fenerbahce.  Surely not!!  Apparently arsenal will only offer him a 12 month extension and he wont sign it.  Very strange
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:44 pm

john craig wrote:Yeah i thought this strange initially, but then when I thought about it, Vieira was pretty inconsistent last season, nowhere near the level he reached the season before.

He is 29 now, no youngster, and has been at the club 9 years.  I just think he has gone stale at arsenal and badly needs a change in club to bring out the best in him.

What I found stranger was reports that arsenal are ready to sell Pires to Fenerbahce.  Surely not!!  Apparently arsenal will only offer him a 12 month extension and he wont sign it.  Very strange

Pires would be an excellent buy hes class, would love him to come to Liverpool but we already have enough players for that position, at least he could try and get a CL medal with Liverpool  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:13 pm

I think it's all this kind of speculation that has done Vieira's head in finally after all these years.

Couple that with Gilberto being out most of last season as well.  I'm not an expert on Arsenal but many pundits say that they foil each other perfectly.  Could be another reason why he is not the dominant player he once was.  Still an outstanding player.  A move might be good for him.

Not that I give a sh!t though.  Given a couple of years they will be second fiddle to Liverpool's New Generation anyway.
jonnymac1979

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:21 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
john craig wrote:Yeah i thought this strange initially, but then when I thought about it, Vieira was pretty inconsistent last season, nowhere near the level he reached the season before.

Pires would be an excellent buy hes class, would love him to come to Liverpool but we already have enough players for that position, at least he could try and get a CL medal with Liverpool  :D

Pires is a right winger which is just what we want, especially after the sale of Nunez the legend :D

Seriously though, I'd love it if we got Pires, can't see it happening though, I'm assuming its just paper talk that Arsenal are wanting to sell him
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:34 pm

john craig wrote:I'm assuming its just paper talk that Arsenal are wanting to sell him

Yes, its just a bit of sabre rattling by his agent in the contract talks.

I could see Pires doing a Bergkamp and playing at a very high level for another few years.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:34 am

Pires wants a two year contract from Arsenal but they are only offering one. Even though he's in his 30's I wouldn't mind seing him play for us but it's highly unlikely.

I think Vieira will end up moving to Juventus. Arsenal have been average in the Champions League and I think thats the one thing Vieira has yet to win. He has a better chance of doing so with Juventus than he does with Arsenal.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:30 am

It is strange but to be honest i just been delighted to see another major team other then Liverpool cop all this player moving speculation rubbish in the news
If Viera does go , it can only be good news for us despite his scratchy form he was still their General and it will  diminish Arsenal chances this season
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:43 am

Sky Sports News are reporting that Juventus are claiming that Vieira will sign for them this afternoon.
jonnymac1979

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:47 am

laza wrote:It is strange but to be honest i just been delighted to see another major team other then Liverpool cop all this player moving speculation rubbish in the news
If Viera does go , it can only be good news for us despite his scratchy form he was still their General and it will  diminish Arsenal chances this season

Yes lets hope he buggers off to Juve, and Van Persie goes to jail, awful for me to say I know, But we need them weaker. Roy Keane will be a year older this season :D And hopefully Fat Frank will get crocked, And we will have the best midfield in the prem.

Figo, Hamann, gerrard, Xabi, Riise/Zenden/Kewell  :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:56 am

:oops: Just been on SKY he will be signing for Juventus today. Looks like he's off, need Wenger to go now :D  And Henry to us for a CL medal :cool:  Imagine Henry and Cisse in the Liverpool line up :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:58 am

Amazing really considering the price that was being offered for him last year by Real Madrid and what they supposely will get for him now.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:22 pm

Even though Vieira is leaving Arsenal still have Fabregas,Flamini and the newly bought Hleb. Fabregas will turn to be a fantastic player for them.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:22 pm

A.B. wrote:Fabregas will turn to be a fantastic player for them.

you could argue he already is. The lad is only 17/18 and is already a very good player, his skill and compsure on the ball for such a young lad is exceptional. From what I saw last year he is already in his element in the EPL.

And as you said with Hleb, Flamini, not to mention Gilberto and Hleb and even Ljungberg can play centrally.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:52 pm

I am a bit shocked that Vieira has left, but then I remember thinking arsenal were fu.cked when they sold Petit and Overmars to barce, and they just brought in better players and hardly missed those boys.

With Gilberto back, Flamini and fabregas getting better, and with Hleb and Ljungberg able to play centrally, I don't think Arsenal will be weakened that much.

They can use the money to get a much-needed top striker.  Once again I think Wenger has made a smart, if unpopular, move.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion