Birmingham and arsenal - What just happened...

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby big al » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:45 am

I really feel for Eduardo, that is potentially a career ending injury. I think that taylor is just too slow to react and therefore caught him by accident.  I bet the taylor is distraught.  This is a timely reminder to all the cynics and pundits here that football is never predictable anything can happen, even the worst things, we should no that better than most.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby holylamb2006 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:21 am

Taylor should be banned for the rest of the season.

Outrageous challenge.

I feel bad for Eduardo but to ban a player for the rest of the season for a mistimed challenge is a joke ...
There is alot more dirty players in the premiership then taylor he only had 1 red card before this accident so i think it would be blowing it out of proportion to ban him for the rest of the season !
holylamb2006

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:03 am

holylamb2006 wrote:
Taylor should be banned for the rest of the season.

Outrageous challenge.

I feel bad for Eduardo but to ban a player for the rest of the season for a mistimed challenge is a joke ...
There is alot more dirty players in the premiership then taylor he only had 1 red card before this accident so i think it would be blowing it out of proportion to ban him for the rest of the season !

It was a reckless challenge at the very least, and one of the worst challenges I've seen in recent years. He was nowhere near the ball, he slid straight in studs up and broke the guy's leg. He may now never play football again.

Career threatening challenges need to be stamped out (no pun intended).
LFC2007

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:15 am

LFC2007 wrote:Taylor should be banned for the rest of the season.

Outrageous challenge.

I agree.

Anyone who thinks Taylor seemed distraught after the tackle needs to think again. He never seen the damage he done to Eduardo. He was more distraught at the fact the Arsenal players were reacting and he bricked it,and the fact that he seen the red card. He knew what he done. He also had a smirk on his face directly after the challenge. Disgrace.
Last edited by Emerald Red on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:20 am

After seeing the angle his foot was at and the bone potruding from his sock I think it will be a miracle if that guy plays football again, breaks that bad can even make it difficult to walk again.

We all remember Luc Nillis from villa and his wasnt as bad as that.

Get well soon and good luck to him, If he makes it back I'd clap and cheers his return (unless he scores against us,lol)
Last edited by Reinas No.1 Fan on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:33 am

Anyone remember Jim Beglin's for us against Everton? late eighties sometime.

Bob Paisley said it was the worst injury he had seen in fifty years of football.

Thank God these things happen only rarely.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:34 am

That is terrible news, hope the guy get's better better, even if he is our rival.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby laza » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:45 am

Interesting the different views on how vicious or clumsy the tackle was. I wonder what the views would be if it had been a Liverpool player who had committed the tackle ?
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:36 am

laza wrote:Interesting the different views on how vicious or clumsy the tackle was. I wonder what the views would be if it had been a Liverpool player who had committed the tackle ?

you are spot on.

for me it was a silly tackle, i have seen worse o0ne this year but the players doing them have got lucky. if you go in studs up its not long before something like this happens, i hope he getts better soon.

the player that done it not him must feel very bad.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:10 pm

Like I have said the graphic nature of the pictures of the damage done are clouding peoples judgment of the actual tackle, anyone who has played football at any level can see he went for the ball and missed. As hard as it to believe you actually slide tackle with your studs showing to protect yourself, it is impossible not to tackle that way when you are coming in  head on as he was, it was an unfortunate accident but thats all it was an accident it was not a bad or malicious tackle.

Want to see a worse one ? look at Gerrards tackle on George  Boateng when he played for Aston Villa, luckily for both players in that incident Boateng was not seriously injured. Look at the mess we would be in if Gerrard was banned for life for that tackle ???
destro

Postby laza » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:41 pm

I agree with judgement being clouded due to the injury occurred. I certainly  think it was a clumsy challenge but i seen a lot worse in terms of intent which just havent caused such a serious injury.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:45 pm

To be fair to taylor he went for the ball , he had no intention what so ever to hurt eduardo , really horrific injury , dislocated and a break in his leg , really feel for him and i hope he's alright , any news on the injury pls update here thx
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:49 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Taylor should be banned for the rest of the season.

Outrageous challenge.

He had no intention to hurt eduardo , it was the impact of the tackle and u can see he went in for the ball and never looked like doing it on purpose , i think a 3 match and the guilt would be bad enough especially if eduardo never plays again .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:11 pm

It was a poor challenge, but to suggest the guy gets binned for the rest of the season is appalling. Those kind of challenges are ten a penny these days, and it was just a combination of the lateness of the tackle and the amount of weight Eduardo had on the leg. There's no way in a million years that the lad set out to do him in, and everyone concerned is desperately unlucky, not least the Arsenal player.

Players wear shinpads don't forget, so contact is anticipated right up that section of the leg. Accidents happen, and there will occasionally be unfortunate outcomes. It's a fast-moving, competitive sport, and to be honest it's good fortune more than anything that injuries like this don't happen more often.

I second the point made about our players having made worse challenges this season. What about Kuyt's unpunished airborne challenge in the derby earlier in the season? He could've had Phil Neville's legs off on another day.
ivor_the_injun

Postby destro » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:21 pm

Toffeehater wrote:To be fair to taylor he went for the ball , he had no intention what so ever to hurt eduardo , really horrific injury , dislocated and a break in his leg , really feel for him and i hope he's alright , any news on the injury pls update here thx

Arsenal striker Eduardo de Silva has been transferred to an unnamed London hospital to undergo further treatment on the broken leg he suffered in yesterday's Premier League match at Birmingham City.

Eduardo, the Croatia striker, last night underwent surgery at Birmingham's Selly Oak Hospital on the double compound fracture of his left leg/shin inflicted by a tackle by Martin Taylor in the opening minutes of the 2-2 draw at St Andrews.

Immediate reaction to the injury suggested the Brazilian-born Eduardo's career was in jeopardy. At the very least he will miss the rest of the season and this summer's European Championships.
destro

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion