Birmingham and arsenal - What just happened...

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:06 pm

laza wrote:Interesting the different views on how vicious or clumsy the tackle was. I wonder what the views would be if it had been a Liverpool player who had committed the tackle ?

There would have been a government inquest and The S*n would run a headline saying "KOP SCUM ATTEMPTED MURDER ON PITCH!!!!"
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *_Ruthless_* » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:55 pm

Match of the day replay of the tackle

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z2_mXOBR6HU
*_Ruthless_*

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:57 pm

ivor_the_injun

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:20 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
holylamb2006 wrote:
Taylor should be banned for the rest of the season.

Outrageous challenge.

I feel bad for Eduardo but to ban a player for the rest of the season for a mistimed challenge is a joke ...
There is alot more dirty players in the premiership then taylor he only had 1 red card before this accident so i think it would be blowing it out of proportion to ban him for the rest of the season !

It was a reckless challenge at the very least, and one of the worst challenges I've seen in recent years. He was nowhere near the ball, he slid straight in studs up and broke the guy's leg. He may now never play football again.

Career threatening challenges need to be stamped out (no pun intended).

Your way off the mark.

Like everyone who has seen the challenge has said it was mistimed, Eduardo nicked the ball away last minute. Half a second later and the tackle would of been perfect.

To say it was a disgraceful tackle that deserves a season long ban is a stupid thing to say and only embarrasses the person who said it, even Wenger realised his comments were wrong.

When you see the like of Diouf diving in with two feet off the ground and get away with sickening tackles makes you feel for Taylor, who genuinely went for the ball and unfortunately missed. Lets not forget Gerrard has committed worse tackles than that and got away with not breaking legs.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:21 pm

I don't think it was a dirty tackle, he was sent off because of the damage he did.

I reckon Arsneal and the player would be happy to be back 100% for the start of the 2009/10 season.

I wouldn't give him much of a ban (3 games or so)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:24 pm

what wenger said after the game was absolutely outrageous. eboue makes tackles like that every week.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tommycockles » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:22 pm

tbh- he got sent off and should just get the ban that comes with that. He didn't do it on purpose and if he did then it shouldn't be the FA who decide it should be the police as it's a form of GBH!! But as i said it was a bad accident and i'm sure he'll feel pretty bad today (although not as bad as Eduardo).

Hope he gets better- if Cisse can recover then hopefully he can!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:43 pm

I never understood how Roy Keane got away with deliberately injuring Haaland - I know that tackle didn't directly end Haalands career but I still think it should have been a police issue and at least a one year ban.

I still don't think the tackle on Eduardo was that bad and have seen many worse, remember all the two footed tackles earlier in the season that got red carded.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Big Niall wrote:I still don't think the tackle on Eduardo was that bad and have seen many worse, remember all the two footed tackles earlier in the season that got red carded.

diouf's tackle on arbeloa in the league game at anfield was far far worse.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JamCar05 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:54 pm

I've just seen the pictures (why can't you resist something like that, even though you know it is bound to make you feel very uncomfortable?), and it looked absolutely horrible. I won't go into the entire debate about what Wenger said, the length of the ban etc. Suffices to say, that I wish Eduardo all the best with his recovery, and I really hope to see him back on the field again. No one would wish injuries like that on anyone. YNWA.
JamCar05

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:41 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
holylamb2006 wrote:

Outrageous challenge.

I feel bad for Eduardo but to ban a player for the rest of the season for a mistimed challenge is a joke ...
There is alot more dirty players in the premiership then taylor he only had 1 red card before this accident so i think it would be blowing it out of proportion to ban him for the rest of the season !

It was a reckless challenge at the very least, and one of the worst challenges I've seen in recent years. He was nowhere near the ball, he slid straight in studs up and broke the guy's leg. He may now never play football again.

Your way off the mark.

Like everyone who has seen the challenge has said it was mistimed, Eduardo nicked the ball away last minute. Half a second later and the tackle would of been perfect.

To say it was a disgraceful tackle that deserves a season long ban is a stupid thing to say and only embarrasses the person who said it, even Wenger realised his comments were wrong.

When you see the like of Diouf diving in with two feet off the ground and get away with sickening tackles makes you feel for Taylor, who genuinely went for the ball and unfortunately missed. Lets not forget Gerrard has committed worse tackles than that and got away with not breaking legs.

Gerrard should've been punished retrospectively, as should Diouf, as should anyone who makes career threatening challenges. Players who make challenges like that should be punished. I'd happily ban them for 11 games.

Looking at the replays, right after the tackle Taylor's concern was that his challenge didn't warrant a red card, not the fella who'd broke his leg and may never play again.
LFC2007

Postby maguskwt » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:07 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
holylamb2006 wrote:

Outrageous challenge.

Your way off the mark.

Gerrard should've been punished retrospectively, as should Diouf, as should anyone who makes career threatening challenges. Players who make challenges like that should be punished. I'd happily ban them for 11 games.

Looking at the replays, right after the tackle Taylor's concern was that his challenge didn't warrant a red card, not the fella who'd broke his leg and may never play again.

well to be fair... it is quite difficult for anyone to realise fully what had happened at that moment of incident... someone mentioned earlier that he even had a grin on his face right after the tackle... but that grin is mostly probably because he didn't know how to react rather than because of any malicious intent... agree with you though that such dangerous tackles warrant heavier punishments just to get rid of them from the game...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:56 pm

stmichael wrote:what wenger said after the game was absolutely outrageous. eboue makes tackles like that every week.

"Weeeel you shay that Eboue sthabbed tha player frum da other sheam....but eyyyyye did nut shee that"

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:24 am

Eduardo 'back in nine months' - Arsenal

Arsenal hope Eduardo will be able to play again by the end of this year as he begins his recovery from the broken leg he suffered against Birmingham.

While Blues defender Martin Taylor is beset by death threats because of the challenge which left Eduardo so badly injured at the start of Saturday's 2-2 Barclays Premier League draw, the outlook for the Croatian is less bleak than had been feared.

The striker will miss the remainder of the current campaign, this summer's Euro 2008 finals and the start of next season - but Arsenal's update today suggests the 25-year-old may yet be back in action before Christmas.

A statement on their official website read: 'The club can confirm that following the incident during Saturday's match at Birmingham City, Eduardo has fractured his left fibula and sustained an open dislocation of his ankle joint in the same leg.

'He was immediately taken to Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham where he underwent surgery on Saturday evening. The operation was successful, and Eduardo was transferred to a London-based hospital on Sunday afternoon.

'Earlier today, the orthopaedic surgeon and Arsenal medical staff assessed the extent of the damage and possible timescale for a full recovery.

'All being well, Eduardo will have his leg in plaster and using crutches for the next six to eight weeks.

'After that time, partial weight-bearing exercises will be scheduled into a slow rehabilitation process.'

The prognosis thereafter is encouraging.

'It is hoped that Eduardo will be running again in six months' time and making a full recovery after nine months,' the statement added.

'Eduardo will be released from hospital in a few days.'

Taylor, meanwhile, is being targeted by many angry fans - including from Croatia - who have posted threatening messages on various internet sites.

Security personnel had to restrain Croatian journalists who ran on to the road and tried to get into Taylor's car as he left the club's Wast Hills training complex today.

But Taylor has received many messages of support - which Blues manager Alex McLeish claims have helped to limit the psychological damage he might have suffered.

'There has been a furore over the incident which has probably gone too far and we would like to draw a line under it now and let Martin get on with his career and hope Eduardo gets back as soon as possible,' McLeish told Sky Sports.

'I've heard about the death threats and you are going to ridiculous proportions if that is the case. You've just got to get on with it and dismiss those things. There are some crazy people in the world.

'I think Martin's wife was upset at the weekend but he has come in this morning and got on with his life again thanks to the support of everyone who knew it wasn't a challenge with malicious intending to injure a player.

'We've had to rally around Martin because he was mentally shattered by the whole experience. I would have been worried about him coming into training today had we not received the support from football people the length and breadth of the country.

'But the fact he has had such magnificent support has helped Martin psychologically because I felt he could be damaged by this incident as well.

'We have shown as a club we are right behind the big fellow. We have rallied around him, got him back into training. It was important he did that as soon as possible.'

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger retracted his post-match statement about Taylor - whom he claimed initially 'should never play football again.'

McLeish added: 'The fact Arsene has retracted them tells you the whole story. I did say after the game that maybe Arsene has acted in the heat of the moment - and Arsene admitted he had done that.

'We've got to let that lie now, move forward - and Martin has got to get on with his football career again. We are all right behind the big fellow 100% and we are very gutted for him and Eduardo.'

McLeish reports Taylor may have been unable to continue on Saturday had he not been given a red card by referee Mike Dean.

'Martin was horrified and, if the referee had given him only a yellow card rather than a red one, I don't know if he could have played on anyway. You just had to see the look on his face.

'He was horrified, and it affected our players as well as the Arsenal ones. You've got to move on. But it was certainly an horrendous injury, and some of the players were horrified by what they had seen.'

Birmingham striker James McFadden is backing Taylor to put behind him the trauma.

He said: 'Martin is not the type of player to go and deliberately injure someone. He doesn't have a history of being malicious.

'Martin is a gentle giant, and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Martin has to live with the fact he has broken someone's leg unintentionally.

'Martin is cut up but he is a professional and he will bounce back.'

Taylor will have to wait at least a month before he can return to action after he collected an automatic three match ban for his sending-off.
JoeTerp

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:34 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Dundalk wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:is that the first time hes been sent off in his career?

Second

Thanks. So hes not exactly known as a dirty player is he?

He's only been sent of twice and got 6 yellow cards so far . a amazing stat for a defender and that means he's only got booked once every 39 gammes on average
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion