New goalkeeper link - Thoughts?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 02, 2005 9:32 pm

Ade wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:I think a lot of people are excessively harsh on both Dudek and Kirkland. Aside from Cech this season, there is not a single keeper in the Prem that hasn't made at least two or three howlers that've made people label them "dodgy".

Terrible timing for this news to come out if it's true. The last thing Dudek needs is more to worry about than Chelsea.

Can't agree there. Watching MoTD on Saturday night was interesting. There were four games on before Liverpool v Boro, and in those 4 games there were 8 keepers better than Dudek

Cech and Jaskelainen
Green and Niemi
Van der Saar and Martyn
Kiraly and Given

Looking at the other fixtures, over the weekend, you also had Robinson and Friedel; all those keepers are better than Dudek. If we wanna be challenging, he's gotta go.

:sleep
Yeah ,lets judge a keepers ability on the strength of one week ends performance .So which one of those eight "superior " keepers should we buy Ade ? .

I'm bored with this sh'it .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Mon May 02, 2005 9:41 pm

Can't agree there. Watching MoTD on Saturday night was interesting. There were four games on before Liverpool v Boro, and in those 4 games there were 8 keepers better than Dudek

Cech and Jaskelainen
Green and Niemi
Van der Saar and Martyn
Kiraly and Given

Looking at the other fixtures, over the weekend, you also had Robinson and Friedel; all those keepers are better than Dudek. If we wanna be challenging, he's gotta go

All those keepers except Cech have had howlers this season, a lot of them cost the team to lose.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Huck » Mon May 02, 2005 11:27 pm

Here we say that u cant begin building a house with the roof and, in my opinion, a great goallie (like Reina) is essential to make the defence line confident enough to be the first ones to start an attack from there. I agree Dudek and Kirkland are not so so bad, its just that they have made a lot of punctual but very important mistakes this season but, even so, a winner club doesnt need good players but excellent ones. Reina is one of them and hes really young (though experienced), willing to win titles.
Merengues and Reds together
Huck

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 02, 2005 11:37 pm

Huck wrote:Here we say that u cant begin building a house with the roof and, in my opinion, a great goallie (like Reina) is essential to make the defence line confident enough to be the first ones to start an attack from there. I agree Dudek and Kirkland are not so so bad, its just that they have made a lot of punctual but very important mistakes this season but, even so, a winner club doesnt need good players but excellent ones. Reina is one of them and hes really young (though experienced), willing to win titles.

thing is mate we`ve heard all this before, when we signed kirkland all our goalkeeping worries were supposed to be over for twenty years.......and before him david james then brad freidel etc, etc.
for me dudeks doing okay so why rock the boat? if we are strapped for cash lets spend it on outfield players.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 03, 2005 10:58 am

Despite the errors made by Dudek the fella is still an international and with the recent signing of Carson I wouldn't give priority to instigating a search for another goalkeeper .Perhaps if Niemi became available at a decent price I'd be tempted .
Goalkeepers always get the shi'tty end of the stick , David Seaman is probably best remembered for 2-3 glaring errors ,particularly as england keeper v brasil in japan    . Few people comment on the fact that for a decade he was considered one of the best in the world . Brucie Grobbelar made some howlers in his time but we still loved him .
Goalies need a settled back four and the understanding that comes with it . Not suggesting we couldn't do better in our goalkeeping position ,just don't think it would be top of my shopping list .

This is where we disagree.

We need a top class keeper. If we'd had Cech and Owen this season we'd have been in a very strong position. But we haven't. The two main areas that need improving are a striker and a class goalkeeper.

A class goalkeeper would improve confidence in the defence. I think alot of goals this season have been down to a lack of communication between goalkeeper and defenders and also a lack of Dudek/Carson/Kirkland commanding there box properly.

A defence of Warnock, Hyypia, Carragher and Finnan looks solid enough to me. With a top class keeper behind them they'd have more confidence which we all know boosts performances. Also, people go on about Hyypia's lack of pace. Note how Hyypia always plays well when Warnock or Riise play left back, or even a few seasons ago with Carragher and Vignal, however.... not with Traore.

Traore goes wondering around like a headless chicken meaning Hyypia gets dragged out wide, he's vunerable out there, of that there is no question but the fact is, if there left back is where he should be, he doesn't need to be caught in those areas.

On the subject of Reina, i expected more and will be very dissapointed if this is true, however, as with everyone else, they'll have a chance but i expect big things.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Tue May 03, 2005 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby joependo » Tue May 03, 2005 5:58 pm

How good is he i haven't seen him play but i know he plays for villiaeral and he sounds good hope he makes a good start to the next season.
joependo

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 03, 2005 6:12 pm

Cech and Jaskelainen
Green and Niemi
Van der Saar and Martyn
Kiraly and Given

Looking at the other fixtures, over the weekend, you also had Robinson and Friedel; all those keepers are better than Dudek. If we wanna be challenging, he's gotta go.

Thats absoloute nonsensical garbage.

Get a clue lad.

I'd agree with Given, Cech and Robinson, MAYBE van der Sar slightly, the rest though... pfft... you've got to be havin the biggest Giraffe ever or you need ****** glasses AND are simply a clueless fool.

Niemi isn't even better than Dudek. Neither is Green YET and that Kiraly, you must be joking, he's bloody awful.

The grass is always greener and that ******... there are only 3 maybe 4 keepers in the country worth touching, the rest are an average bunch.

But don't sit there and come out with ****** saying Kiraly, Friedel and Martyn are as good as Dudek.

Posts like this make me want to stop posting, know nothin fools who've never been to a game who think they know it all.

GET A ****** CLUE ******!
115-1073096938

Postby aminz » Tue May 03, 2005 6:48 pm

i think Robert Green of Norwich is one of the best as well, doesn't anybody think so..???   :idea
aminz

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 03, 2005 7:06 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Despite the errors made by Dudek the fella is still an international and with the recent signing of Carson I wouldn't give priority to instigating a search for another goalkeeper .Perhaps if Niemi became available at a decent price I'd be tempted .
Goalkeepers always get the shi'tty end of the stick , David Seaman is probably best remembered for 2-3 glaring errors ,particularly as england keeper v brasil in japan    . Few people comment on the fact that for a decade he was considered one of the best in the world . Brucie Grobbelar made some howlers in his time but we still loved him .
Goalies need a settled back four and the understanding that comes with it . Not suggesting we couldn't do better in our goalkeeping position ,just don't think it would be top of my shopping list .

This is where we disagree.

We need a top class keeper. If we'd had Cech and Owen this season we'd have been in a very strong position. But we haven't. The two main areas that need improving are a striker and a class goalkeeper.

:D , Not so much a disagreement Stu , more a question of where we have our priorities . Our goal keeping department is busier than a knocking shop on a buy one get one free night ! we now have Dudek ,Kirkland ,Carson and Reina (soon to come) . What are we saying here ? "We don't have confidence in the three we already have " ? All of them where tipped as "class" keepers .Now Reina is on his way ,also tipped as a "class" keeper . Personally I would have stuck with what we have (for the time being ) and spent the (reported) £8 million on other area's of the team.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby gato_busta » Wed May 04, 2005 2:06 am

found this article http://www.marca.com/edicion/noticia/0,2458,626569,00.html

its in spanish but it pretty much says reina is already playing his last matches at villa real and taht they have already made an arangement with liverpool. dont know how reliable the source is though...
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion