Saints goalkeeper is a red - Yet another loyal to the cause

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri May 14, 2004 4:02 pm

Rookie Southampton hero goalkeeper Alan Blayney helped Liverpool into the Champions League with a fantastic display against Newcastle, and has now admitted he is a big Liverpool supporter.

Blayney, who hails from Belfast, was only told 40 minutes before the Newcastle game that he was playing due to an illness to Finnish international Antti Niemi.

Blayney said he was more than happy to help his beloved Liverpool into the Champions League and enjoy the experience of playing for the Southampton first team in a Premiership match.

Blayney said: "I was always a Liverpool fan and it is a big bonus to think I've helped them get a Champions League place."

On the save from Alan Shearer which was described by former Saints boss Lawrie McMenemy as Gordon Banks like from Pele in 1970, the keeper added: "I couldn't believe I had saved it really. I saw the ball come across the six-yard box and he (Shearer) headed it down into the ground. I just spread myself and hoped it would hit me.

"It did and it went over the bar. Afterwards, as I lay on the ground with the blood pumping and the fans shouting my name, it was great, unbelievable!"

So ther you have it, next week we will find out Woodgate is also a lifelong LFC fan, and he wasn't injured simply making sure we qualified so he can play in the CL next season for us.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 14, 2004 4:03 pm

that save was unbelievable. maybe we can bring him in when dudek hangs up his boots. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 14, 2004 4:04 pm

we'll probably be linked with him in a few days anyways ;)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion