New goalkeeper link - Thoughts?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Mon May 02, 2005 6:25 am

the problem with kirkland is the same as the problem with hyppia....

kirkland (slow reflexes)

hyppia (slow/no pace)

this is the only thing stopping them to become world-class (yoohoo i used world-class)  :shifty
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite » Mon May 02, 2005 3:22 pm

The only thing is that he might not join if he's getting cl football at villareal and we might not .
kopite

Postby JC_81 » Mon May 02, 2005 3:49 pm

The more i think about the signing of reina the less convinced i am.  I don't deny that he is a good keeper and that all reports i have heard sound good.

However, he is only 22.  With our track record of less than convincing keepers in recent years, each time a new one comes in we are on their backs if they make a mistake.  I am just as bad as anyone for that and automatically think 'here we go again.. another dodgy keeper'.  Is liverpool the best move for reina with our built up frustration at previous keepers likely to be taken out on him if he drops a clanger?  I feared for carson being thrown in against juve and sincerely hope that his mistake didn't affect his confidence too badly.  We already have carson who has good potential, so why sign a 22 year old and not a more established and experienced keeper who may handle the pressures of playing for liverpool a bit better. 

I just think someone like canizares, niemi or van der sar would be a better option for us right now if we could get them.  Reina may turn out to be superb, but cech apart, i can't think of another keeper under 25 who is consistent week after week.  This is the position on the field where experience is most important imo
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon May 02, 2005 4:30 pm

although its from koptalk...it looks like we have made our 1st signing..

http://www.koptalk.org/forums....1

Liverpool conclude first summer signing - reports
#450404 - 01/05/2005 22:10   Reply 

Newspaper reports claim that Villarreal goalkeeper Jose Reina has agreed to sign for Liverpool in the summer.

KopTalk revealed details of our interest in the 22-year-old some time ago and since then there have been various claims across our forums that a deal has now been agreed. It would seem though that these have just filtered through into the national papers so until we see any concrete quotes from anyone we'd just continue to monitor any reports that crop up with his name in them.

The player has a buy-out clause of around £8million but it is rumoured that the Reds could get him for around £5million which hints at the possibility of one of our players going in the other direction.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Indian » Mon May 02, 2005 4:40 pm

From what i've heard from reports in Spain, he's second only to Real's keeper and is a fine prospect.  Not sure how much experience he's got at the top level though.
Red Indian

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Mon May 02, 2005 4:54 pm

john craig wrote:The more i think about the signing of reina the less convinced i am.  I don't deny that he is a good keeper and that all reports i have heard sound good.

However, he is only 22.  With our track record of less than convincing keepers in recent years, each time a new one comes in we are on their backs if they make a mistake.  I am just as bad as anyone for that and automatically think 'here we go again.. another dodgy keeper'.  Is liverpool the best move for reina with our built up frustration at previous keepers likely to be taken out on him if he drops a clanger?  I feared for carson being thrown in against juve and sincerely hope that his mistake didn't affect his confidence too badly.  We already have carson who has good potential, so why sign a 22 year old and not a more established and experienced keeper who may handle the pressures of playing for liverpool a bit better. 

I just think someone like canizares, niemi or van der sar would be a better option for us right now if we could get them.  Reina may turn out to be superb, but cech apart, i can't think of another keeper under 25 who is consistent week after week.  This is the position on the field where experience is most important imo

NOOOOOOOO!!

José Reína is SOOOO MATURE for a 23 year old keeper (he's 23 soon)
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon May 02, 2005 5:23 pm

Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:
john craig wrote:The more i think about the signing of reina the less convinced i am.  I don't deny that he is a good keeper and that all reports i have heard sound good.

NOOOOOOOO!!

Chill out mate :D
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Mon May 02, 2005 5:37 pm

john craig wrote:
Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:

NOOOOOOOO!!

Chill out mate :D

I am :p  :buttrock
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 02, 2005 6:10 pm

Despite the errors made by Dudek the fella is still an international and with the recent signing of Carson I wouldn't give priority to instigating a search for another goalkeeper .Perhaps if Niemi became available at a decent price I'd be tempted .
Goalkeepers always get the shi'tty end of the stick , David Seaman is probably best remembered for 2-3 glaring errors ,particularly as england keeper v brasil in japan  :(  . Few people comment on the fact that for a decade he was considered one of the best in the world . Brucie Grobbelar made some howlers in his time but we still loved him .
Goalies need a settled back four and the understanding that comes with it . Not suggesting we couldn't do better in our goalkeeping position ,just don't think it would be top of my shopping list .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 02, 2005 6:19 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Despite the errors made by Dudek the fella is still an international and with the recent signing of Carson I wouldn't give priority to instigating a search for another goalkeeper .Perhaps if Niemi became available at a decent price I'd be tempted .
Goalkeepers always get the shi'tty end of the stick , David Seaman is probably best remembered for 2-3 glaring errors ,particularly as england keeper v brasil in japan  :(  . Few people comment on the fact that for a decade he was considered one of the best in the world . Brucie Grobbelar made some howlers in his time but we still loved him .
Goalies need a settled back four and the understanding that comes with it . Not suggesting we couldn't do better in our goalkeeping position ,just don't think it would be top of my shopping list .

i agree with you mate, i think dudeks done alright this season and it`s at the other end of the pitch we seem to have real problems. personally i think we need quality widemen who can beat fullbacks and drag defenders and midfielders out of position. i know genius`s like john barnes are hard to find but we dont even have no one like a young mcmanaman who can pick the ball up outside our box and run 70 yards with it.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon May 02, 2005 6:21 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Despite the errors made by Dudek the fella is still an international and with the recent signing of Carson I wouldn't give priority to instigating a search for another goalkeeper .Perhaps if Niemi became available at a decent price I'd be tempted .

I agree Woof, Dudek and Kirkland are good goalkeepers, and Carson has potential, we need a definite number 1, but it shouldn’t be a priority to go out and buy one, there are other more pressing areas that need addressing.

If next season our defence lined like this on the first the day of the season, I wouldn't be disappointed at all:

Kirkland

Finnan Hyypia Carragher Warnock/Riise

I think Kirkland took a lot of over the top criticism, in my opinion he will be a very good goalkeeper whether it is at Liverpool (I hope he is our number 1 next year), or at another club.

Hyypia has also took a lot of unfair criticism, O.K, he is extremely slow, but this is nothing new he has always been like this, he is still a fine defender who would be very difficult to replace, I would only replace him if we could find a defender who is as good as him plus has the 'recovery pace' that we crave.

Warnock is the best left back we have defensively, but Riise is better attacking wise, them 2 competing for the left back spot would be very encouraging.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 02, 2005 6:47 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:

I agree Woof, Dudek and Kirkland are good goalkeepers, and Carson has potential, we need a definite number 1, but it shouldn’t be a priority to go out and buy one, there are other more pressing areas that need addressing.

If next season our defence lined like this on the first the day of the season, I wouldn't be disappointed at all:

Kirkland

I think Kirkland took a lot of over the top criticism, in my opinion he will be a very good goalkeeper whether it is at Liverpool (I hope he is our number 1 next year), or at another club.

Hyypia has also took a lot of unfair criticism, O.K, he is extremely slow, but this is nothing new he has always been like this, he is still a fine defender who would be very difficult to replace, I would only replace him if we could find a defender who is as good as him plus has the 'recovery pace' that we crave.

Warnock is the best left back we have defensively, but Riise is better attacking wise, them 2 competing for the left back spot would be very encouraging.

i dont rate kirkland to be honest with you, the goal in the goodison derby and the free kick by rivaldo at anfield were horrific bits of keeping. for a tall lad he flaps at crosses too.
maybe its his injuries and he will develop into a good keeper but from what i`ve seen i think we`d be lucky to get half what we paid for him.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 02, 2005 6:52 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:

Kirkland

Going of the "goalkeeper track " here .

But , Personally I luv the Warnock (lb) Riise (lm ) combo . Both players are not afraid to get forward and both of thenm understand each others defensive duties . Sammi is not the quickest but neither was Tony "Donkey" Adams and yet he was one of the most reliable central defenders Arsenal and England ever had . Sammi's lack of pace does worry me ,but the fella's heart and reading of the game keeps him on my teamsheet for at least another season.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ALONSO_14 » Mon May 02, 2005 7:12 pm

i would be very happy if these reports were true about liverpool signing José Reína, i rate him very highly, one of the main reasons that villareal currently sit so high up in the table is because of his quality goalkeeping skills, only 33 goals conceded in 35 games, 3rd best record in the spanish primera division, i watch the spanish league all the time and the few times that villareal are on José Reína is excellent, he wud be our best goalkeeper if he came to liverpool for sure.
Lots of clubs are supposed to be interested in him and if he came to liverpool it would be a fantastic achievement
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ade » Mon May 02, 2005 9:12 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:I think a lot of people are excessively harsh on both Dudek and Kirkland. Aside from Cech this season, there is not a single keeper in the Prem that hasn't made at least two or three howlers that've made people label them "dodgy".

Terrible timing for this news to come out if it's true. The last thing Dudek needs is more to worry about than Chelsea.

Can't agree there. Watching MoTD on Saturday night was interesting. There were four games on before Liverpool v Boro, and in those 4 games there were 8 keepers better than Dudek

Cech and Jaskelainen
Green and Niemi
Van der Saar and Martyn
Kiraly and Given

Looking at the other fixtures, over the weekend, you also had Robinson and Friedel; all those keepers are better than Dudek. If we wanna be challenging, he's gotta go.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion