Chris Kirkland
12%
Jose Reina
58%
Scott Carson
12%

Total votes : 50

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:36 pm

we bought reina since he has something that doesn't exist much in dudek: good self confidence
regarding sometmes he looks "too brave", well, he's here, amongst the England's Kings of Europe, to start learning how to be king of goalie  :;):
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:35 pm

As I'm Polish I'd say Dudek, but being clearminded about it I'd bet on Reina. Young and already a great keeper. I'd say in time he can be the best in Europe. It's his first season in EPL, and it kinda is different than Spanish Leauge.
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:53 pm

It's interesting to see that a lot of you are going for Reina, i say intresting 'cos it's great to see that the voters are showing a lot of faith in the clubs current number 1 and aren't allowing the memories of istanbul to totally cloud their judgement. For me I think that currently i'd have to say that Reina is probably our best keeper currently but although there is only a small age difference i can see Carson possibly developing into something special in the goalscoring stakes; I don't want to go too far but at this stage you just can't imagine what he could be (especially now Joe Corrigan isn't coaching our keepers), this also explains why i think that letting Kirkland go wouldn't be too bad a thing seeing as Corrigan is now at WBA.

P.S. Why is Leon wanting to know my age??
doesn't he know it's rude to ask a persons age.  :laugh:  :laugh: 
I'm as old as my nose but a little younger than me teeth.  :D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:49 am

I believe it to be Reina.

I saw quite a lot of him last season in La Primera and so far he's having a very average season.

He was definitely NOT the best goalkeeper in Spain as Rafa had mentioned, Casillas, Cañizares and perhaps even Molina are better, but then again, they have so much more experience in BIG games.

I like Reina though, he's young and has a lot to learn still.

He's a great shot stopper, a confident player, is very quick and usually intelliegent with his distribution to the outfield players.

He's made some mistakes, much more than I expected, but I am pretty sure the errors will be "ironed" out with time, he's only 23 after all.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owen 10 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:22 am

Pepe's main weakness is in the air, he flaps at everything. Until he sorts that out he is just as un-reliable as Dudek, but in different ways.

Carson looks OK, he'll probably pick up one or two England caps but nothing more than that. Rafa hyped him up to be the next best thing since sliced bread, but really he'll probably never be as good as Kirkland, but Kirkland is a write-off. He'll always get injured, and this will forever hold back his career.

Dudek deserves a lot more votes for what he did in the CL, mainly at the end and the shootout, who knows how he'll play now after that huge confidence boost.

He might suprise some doubters once back from injury.
Owen 10

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:03 am

Regarding Dudek, Owen 10, despite the fact he was amazing in the CL final, he is a major liability.
One good game a season doesn't justify playing every match.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owen 10 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:29 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Regarding Dudek, Owen 10, despite the fact he was amazing in the CL final, he is a major liability.
One good game a season doesn't justify playing every match.

Fair enough, but i haven't seen anything from Pepe so far to justify his price tag, and spending that kind of cash on a keeper when its badly needed elsewhere.

You should have bought Gonzalo from Villarreal, (CB) and your team would have felt a much much bigger difference.
Owen 10

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:11 pm

We desperately needed a keeper.

Reina is starting to convince me. He's made mistakes but has presence and the mistakes don't seem to effect him the way Dudek's effected him. Also, Reina's only 23.

Hopefully he'll become a great keeper in time. Looks to have potential, although i don't really like to comment on goalkeepers to much.
115-1073096938

Postby kopite » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:56 pm

Reina is world class he's one of the greatest in the world and hes only 23 .
kopite

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:23 pm

I think that the few mistakes Reina has made upto now can possibly be down to his lack of english, he has admitted himself recenlty that he'll feel more comfortable once he has a better grasp on the english language so until that happens we shouldn't hold too many grudges against him if he does make any mistakes.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:06 am

I think it looks like I will probably stand alone in this view but as a former semi-pro level goalkeeper myself I feel I deserve an opinion.

Without doubt in my view Kirkland is by far the most able keeper at the club. Whether he can remain fit or not is another question entirely.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:10 am

thegreedo wrote:I think it looks like I will probably stand alone in this view but as a former semi-pro level goalkeeper myself I feel I deserve an opinion.

Without doubt in my view Kirkland is by far the most able keeper at the club. Whether he can remain fit or not is another question entirely.

That is the whole problem with kirkland, he is a quality keeper but a defence can only perform at it's best when it is playing as a unit with the keeper that it knows and trusts but when he can't last much more than a dozen games without getting injured that trust and understanding just isn't gonna be there.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red squirrel » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:14 am

As with all keepers (Even World Class ones) the're allways prone to make howlers. Dudek for me though has had his shot and not for the CL games i seem to more remember him for the games lost due to some very extraordinary mistakes. Carson is very talented but very raw at this moment and is definately one for the future, but my first choice is Reina coz he's confident and commanding even if he gets caught out at times. He's made some brilliant saves for us already and gives a lot of confidence to the back 4.
Given time he has all the makings to be a legend for us.... Just like Brucie!!
Red squirrel

Postby thegreedo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:37 am

Dudek and Reina are indeed fantastic shot stoppers, of that I've now doubt. I don't know though, call me old fashioned but I just look for a little more from a keeper, you know, the "bread and butter" stuff like the ability to catch crosses and command your box! There were times last year when I was convinced Dudek had been to have his tongue removed, Carra would roast him week after week for not talking. I must say Reina seems to be far more able in that department, but I still think there's nothing more settling for a defence under pressure than a keeper who is prepared to come out, catch a ball and take the pressure off by marshaling his area.

The EPL is a very physical league and must be a big shock to the system of a keeper who is experiencing it for the first season. Who knows, Pepe might just prove me wrong and go on to be the safest hands we've seen at Anfield for a long time. However, I cant help thinking, if he can make himself a little more durable at the Hawthorns this season, the eventual return of Mr Kirkland could be our best option long term.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:59 am

thegreedo wrote:Dudek and Reina are indeed fantastic shot stoppers, of that I've now doubt. I don't know though, call me old fashioned but I just look for a little more from a keeper, you know, the "bread and butter" stuff like the ability to catch crosses and command your box! There were times last year when I was convinced Dudek had been to have his tongue removed, Carra would roast him week after week for not talking. I must say Reina seems to be far more able in that department, but I still think there's nothing more settling for a defence under pressure than a keeper who is prepared to come out, catch a ball and take the pressure off by marshaling his area.

The EPL is a very physical league and must be a big shock to the system of a keeper who is experiencing it for the first season. Who knows, Pepe might just prove me wrong and go on to be the safest hands we've seen at Anfield for a long time. However, I cant help thinking, if he can make himself a little more durable at the Hawthorns this season, the eventual return of Mr Kirkland could be our best option long term.

I've said it before and i'll say it again re:kirkland at wba; two words

JOE CORRIGAN

MAny people that i've spoken too - and i agree - believe that corrigan does more harm than good to keepers ability in training, the facts are all there

JAMES: one of the best GK talents around in early '90's became calamity james.

Westerveld: Looked half decent when he arrived ended up making up unbelievable excuses for each and every goal costing error.

DUDEK:Prems best keeper for his first season over here but started to drop clangers regularly in his second season, started o show glimpses of his old self last season notably since Corrigan had left.

This is all my opinion so make of it what you will but i personally hope that if kirkland does have a future at anfield it won't go down the sh!tter whils being coached by corrigan.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion