How did carson play? - Good, bad?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:47 am

I didn't see the game on Saturday but I just wondered how you guys thought Carson played in his first first team game?
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:04 am

didnt have that much to do, although on a personal note, (I hate this in goalkeepers these days) he appeared to try and save the Robert free kick with the "wrong hand".
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:05 am

Obviously started learning from Dudek!!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:10 am

Carson had very little to do.

Newcastle whipped in a corner in the first half which came right at him. He sort of semi panicked and punched the ball instead of catching it: it was his first real action and I'd say nerves got the better of him.

Robert's freekick was very good and would have beaten most keepers. All the same, I think a truly top class keeper would have tipped it over the bar.

Aside from the above he had nothing else to do, apart from take goal kicks: some of which were poor.

Jury still out.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby wet echo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:12 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Carson had very little to do.

Newcastle whipped in a corner in the first half which came right at him. He sort of semi panicked and punched the ball instead of catching it: it was his first real action and I'd say nerves got the better of him.

Robert's freekick was very good and would have beaten most keepers. All the same, I think a truly top class keeper would have tipped it over the bar.

Aside from the above he had nothing else to do, apart from take goal kicks: some of which were poor.

Jury still out.

he is 19....give the lad a chance please people!!!!! :  :glare:
wet echo

Postby el_stinger » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:18 am

wet echo wrote:

Jury still out.

he is 19....give the lad a chance please people!!!!! :  :glare:

But no one is critizising the kid
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:43 pm

its tricky to sya as he didn't really have that much to do. kicking and distribution looked sound. but i would say he was slightly out of position for the robert goal. though as was mentioned, that free kick would have beaten many decent keepers...

and it doesn't matter about his age. if he's there its because he's good enough, whether he's 16 or 40. casillas had his first team debut for RM at the age of 17.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:43 pm

dudek has a shin injury, carson could be thrown into play in germany.

i never saw the game, so i cant comment on his play. If he does start the game in Germany, i think his second save will say what he is feeling right now. Is he confident or is he still nervous and shakey. This will be a better judge of carson, as the atmosphere and the attacking play will be coming straight at him. It will a do alot more to either pump him up, or make him nervous.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:48 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:dudek has a shin injury, carson could be thrown into play in germany.

surely it would just be easier if he walked onto the pitch :laugh:

hi mountie :kungfu:
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:57 pm

stmichael wrote:
The Canadian Red Army wrote:dudek has a shin injury, carson could be thrown into play in germany.

surely it would just be easier if he walked onto the pitch :laugh:

hi mountie :kungfu:

lol :D
hey mikey hows it going
whats your reaction if carson plays?
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:00 pm

as previously said, he had b#gger all to do in the game really. the free kick was a good strike but as leon said he should have gone at it with his stronger hand.

i remember kirkland making his liverpool european debut against galatasaray a few years back and he had a blinder. lets hope carson can do the same. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:55 pm

Jury still out.

My post wasn't a criticism: it was precisely what happened.

He had a solid debut but the fact remained that he had very little to do.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bRy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:07 pm

From what I saw of the goal you can't be too critical of him as his technique in trying to save the shot was spot on. He had to use the hand he did to try and get his hand to the height of the ball, something he nearly reached. Unfortunately he only got fingertips to the ball, not enough purchase to tip it on or over the bar
bRy

Postby mike72 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:10 pm

I don't think we can make any sort of a judgement on Carson until he's got 20 games under his belt...all he is at the moment is potential.  Let the lad learn and make the mistakes that such a young player is bound to make.
mike72

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion