Olmpiakos game - Could it be season defineing

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:12 pm

The game on Wednesday against Olmpiakos is absolutely vital for the prestige of the club, if we are able to say we are amongst the top 16 clubs in Europe it will be a huge boost, not to mention the finical rewards for qualifying for the knock out stages, ultimately this will mean we will be able to buy a higher calibre of player both in the January window and in the summer.

We still have striker problems with Cisse, Garcia both injured and if Baros plays his participation will be limited (as I understand), but the rest of the squad is fit and raring to go, for what is the biggest game of the Sean so for, in terms of our future progression. We have options in midfield and defence so some players will have to face the disappointment of not starting and some will not even be involved.

Olmpiakos can be hard nut to crack, especially at home, as they've shown so far. This is true for most Greek teams in Europe but they don't seem to fair so well away from home. Add this to the fact that we have been playing well at home all season, Arsenal and Monaco are just some who have come to Anfield and have been outplayed, I look forward to the game with Olpmpiakos with a certain degree of optimism.

But we should be on our guard, Olmpiakos are not group leaders for no reason, they are no mugs, and with Rivaldo and Giovanni they will carry a serious threat especially on the counter attack. The situation is a bit tricky. If we win 1-0 we will go through, otherwise we will have to win by two clear goals. We have to question whether we are capable of scoring three of more goals with our depleted strike-force.

The outcome of the game on Wednesday could shape the tone for the rest of the season, either way. If we qualify it could give the whole club a boost. And the positive vibe could transfer into our Premership form. If not it may cause a depression around the club, like when Basle knocked us into the UEFA cup.

But I am positive, and am quietly confident that we will qualify. If we go in with the right frame of mind and the defence stays solid and calm, I think we have the attacking ability to outplay Olmpiakos.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:17 pm

Are there still tickets available?
jonnymac1979

Postby Paul C » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:31 pm

Don't think so, you have to have previously purchased tickets between certain dates or somethin to get them, I'm getting mine for free :p
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:04 pm

Don't think its a season definer. That implies that if we get beat the seasons a disaster whatever else happens. I don't go with that at all. If we qualify with the problems we have had it'll be ab astounding piece of management by Rafa. If we don't then we press on and keep improving.
I reckon we'll win, but not by 1-0 or by two clear goals. We'll need Depor' to do us a favour and FWIW I think they will.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:44 pm

I think we will win comfortably tomorrow. I hope I am not being over confident but I have not been that impressed with Olympiacos. We where shocking in Greece and they hardly put us to the sword. Infact I thought they where the worst team we played. Historically the are awful away from home. Its not been a good group in terms of quality and if we had our best players in over the piece I think we would be through already. In my opinion we will not need a favour from the other fixture. With a full house and a great atmosphere we will be well up for it and defeat the Greeks easily to progress   :)
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Hamza » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:37 pm

It won t be easy but we can do it weather we will is a differnet question i say we can
Hamza

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:47 pm

I think we will win, although as Mick says, I think that Depor might do us a favour as well.

It is our most important game of the season though, as qualification would mean a lot of things: extra money (its worth around 2million on top of what we would already earned even if we are eliminated in the next round), prestiege, good for the club's and players confidence and will also serve to keep some of the bigger name players......ok, Steve Gerrard, happy for another while.

Its a sorry affair though to see Liverpool and its fans reduced to wanting to "keep Gerrard happy".

A defeat would mean less money, disillusion Gerrard, and certain other players would drop their heads I think (for a small while at least) and would be a blow to Benitez.

Again, I reiterate, I am extremely annoyed that Steven Gerrard now seems to be at the centre of everything we do or don't do, and thats not right at all.  :angry:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:48 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Are there still tickets available?

NO

Tickets sold out.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:39 am

BTW can we top the group?
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:10 am

I guess we can if Depo beat Monaco and we beat the Greeks
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:54 am

I just watched the highlights of Olmpiakos against Panaithiakos in their own league and Rivaldo scored a spectular freekick to win them 1 - 0. We'll have to be careful. Players in their team have a lot of flair, passing and creativity and are high in confidence. I also know they have this really good defender. I'm scared about tonights game :( :(
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:19 am

If things go to accepted the norm' tonight, we should be able to practically behead someone twenty-five yards out from our goal without conceding a free-kick. We're at home, their will be a cauldron atmosphere, the tempo of the game is liely to be very high etc etc. That said, the way our luck with referees is going at the moment, god only knows what will happen.
The law of averages being what they are, my hope is that we get a nice soft penalty tonight just when we need one most. A nice little helping hand, Henchoz style to block off any advances. Wouldn't it be nice to hear the opposition moaning, feeling hard done by after the game. Jeez we've got to be due lets be honest.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stel » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:20 am

Its gonna be a tough game,thats sure.Olympiakos this year shows an "european face", something he has never shown since he joined Champions League.He has never won in away CL game (4 draws,20+ losses),while in Karaiskaki is very hard to lose any point.I think the reason in Rivaldo, who gave them a more professional attitude and gels very well with Giovanni
  In Saturday derby against Panathinaikos, a game that gives the winner a great advantage for the title, Olympiakos played very bad and had just one chance.The foul of the goal really has been seen only from the referee and if he hadnt been a "true Olympiakos fan"(as he is said to be) Panathinaikos could have gained something.
Actually, having seen a lot of Olympiakos games,I believe that the keys of the game will be
- Stoltidis, who will mark Steven.He is one of the best DM in Greece,very athletic,good in headings and has strong shoot.If he cannot stop SG, Olympiakos will crack down
-Rivaldo, of course...
-the speed of the game. If the match follows fast rythm, I dont believe that Olympiakos will be able to tollerate it during the whole game
  Olympiakos thinks the tonight match is one of the most important in his european history(and sure it is as he has nothing to show so many years in champions league... :D  :D )
The same I believe is for us, a game that will give Benitez the chance to continue the building up of the new Liverpool.
COME ON LFC, GIVE US ONE MORE TIME THE PRIDE THAT FOLLOWS YOUR NAME.
PANATHINAIKOS' FANS WISH YOU THE BEST!!!
stel

Postby Ciggy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:25 am

bigmick wrote:If things go to accepted the norm' tonight, we should be able to practically behead someone twenty-five yards out from our goal without conceding a free-kick. We're at home, their will be a cauldron atmosphere, the tempo of the game is liely to be very high etc etc. That said, the way our luck with referees is going at the moment, god only knows what will happen.
The law of averages being what they are, my hope is that we get a nice soft penalty tonight just when we need one most. A nice little helping hand, Henchoz style to block off any advances. Wouldn't it be nice to hear the opposition moaning, feeling hard done by after the game. Jeez we've got to be due lets be honest.

We certainly have mick the refs decisions so far this season has cost us dear, but our luck will change second half of the season, it has to otherwise who evers been looking down on us with there curse for a good few years now who ever it is doent like us.
I feel it for Rafa he hasnt had a bit of luck with these injuries and decisions that have gone against us.
Hopefully our luck will change tonight, maybe the team will be really fired up with all this Gerrard palava aswell.
I have a good feeling about tonights game, even though my morning so far has been ruined and spoilt by Stevie, its sort have put a dampener on everything :(
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion