LIVERPOOL vs CHARLTON - Last League Game of the Season...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Sun May 13, 2007 7:37 pm

TheDukeofUke wrote:Absolutely disgraceful of Rafa not to give Dudek a last start.

Does ANYONE fail to read through a thread first....just in case like  ??? 

He was injured. Padelli took his place.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun May 13, 2007 8:07 pm

red37 wrote:
TheDukeofUke wrote:Absolutely disgraceful of Rafa not to give Dudek a last start.

me and the bloke who sits next to me just fuckin laughed after their 2nd goal because he made such a hash of it  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kop11 » Sun May 13, 2007 8:13 pm

me and the bloke who sits next to me just :censored: laughed after their 2nd goal because he made such a hash of it 

for once where not talking about dudek making a mistake! makes a change i suppose!! :p

anyone know how serios renia injury actualy is??
'i was made for liverpool and liverpool was made for me'

kop11

Postby TheDukeofUke » Sun May 13, 2007 8:38 pm

red37 wrote:

ahh.. sorry. Unfortunate for him, though.
Everton FC supporter.
TheDukeofUke

Postby stmichael » Sun May 13, 2007 9:08 pm

Just got back. Very poor defensively, Carra had a shocker, his worst game of the season by a country mile. Didn't deserve the point but happy we got it, obviously.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:25 pm

kop11 wrote:
me and the bloke who sits next to me just :censored: laughed after their 2nd goal because he made such a hash of it 

for once where not talking about dudek making a mistake! makes a change i suppose!! :p

anyone know how serios renia injury actualy is??

Although not having heard anything official Reina is fully expected to be fit for the final. He's still feeling the knock he received on the shoulder against Fulham.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun May 13, 2007 10:59 pm

We were an absolute mess at the back today.  How much of that's due to Padelli is hard to say but the kid looked out of his depth.  And, there were certainly occasions where players were expecting him to come, Reina style, and he hung back, causing problems (Riise did it on one occasion). 

On today's performance I don't think Arbeloa's a great option at RM, either--although I don't think Rafa's got that in mind, TBH.  And, once again, Zenden did "OK" but is nowhere near the required level to start at LM--Young had him in his pocket.

In terms of positives, Gerrard was his usual surging self--the lad does not no the meaning of taking it easy.  Mascherano, despite a couple of slack passes, did well.  I'm really impressed with his recovery pace when he loses the ball.  I thought Alonso made a telling contribution when he came on--not just the goal, or the thunderbolt that was saved, but also in terms of his distribution, particularly out to Kewell....who was immense in his brief cameo.  I've said it in the Kewell thread but I'll say it again--he is in another class from our other LM options and his presence on the pitch makes our whole side better, particularly going forward.  His was the vital contribution for the first goal and he set Gerrard up nicely for what could have been the second.  And how perfect was his technique for that cannonshot off the woodwork?  He has to play at least part of the match in Athens on this performance!

And, then there was Robbie.  I was gutted for him several times over today as it just didn't fall for him.  On another day--perhaps a day now gone--he would have had a hattrick but I would have settled for just one...even if it came from the penalty spot.  As it was, he couldn't quite find the back of the net on a day that was obviously emotional for him.  Here's hoping he's saved his last bit of magic for Athens! :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Sun May 13, 2007 11:08 pm

We were an absolute mess at the back today.  How much of that's due to Padelli is hard to say but the kid looked out of his depth.  And, there were certainly occasions where players were expecting him to come, Reina style, and he hung back, causing problems (Riise did it on one occasion). 

I'm going to watch the game now before sleep, but I've read the thread and I've seen much stick to a young keeper. Whoever  thinks a young keeper progresses without mistakes, and some of them blatant, is simply wrong. And the communication with the back four is something that must have the accuracy of a Swiss clock, and that's only achieved with matches. No matter how badly he did, give the lad a rest.

Padelli is a better keeper now than he was yesterday, because he just has in his pocket a first team game, has made mistakes, and that learning will make him better.

In Dudek's case at least you can argue he should have the experience and that he has made many bad games, but not in the case of Padelli!

As for Kewell, I criticised him in the past, especially 2 seasons ago at some points, and I must say he has proved me wrong quite a few times. And I must admit that. Happy for him, and happy he's back to provide things to the team. More comments tomorrow
Last edited by Sabre on Sun May 13, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mramo » Mon May 14, 2007 2:43 am

stmichael wrote:Just got back. Very poor defensively, Carra had a shocker, his worst game of the season by a country mile. Didn't deserve the point but happy we got it, obviously.

I give todays result - & the entire first team's performance today the benefit of the doubt.

Rafa's instructions before & during the game would have been simple to the first teamers. To avoid aggressive 50-50 challenges & keep away from crunching tackles & over-reaching of the ball to prevent injuries building up to the Champions League Final. Scum United did this today against West Ham which is why they probably lost 1-0 (FA Cup Final next Sat).
mramo

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon May 14, 2007 5:03 am

This game wasn't about 3rd place.

This game wasn't about 3 points from a win.

This game wasn't about "preparing" for Athens.

This was Robbie's goodbye to the greatest club in the World.

He knows it, I know it, and you know it, too. The lad was the only reason to cheer through the '90's, and had his team mates at that time had an ounce of his ability and determination, we would now be looking for our 26th league title, not our 19th.

I just hope the Kop gave my footballing hero the send off he deserved.

Robbie Fowler - Red's legend and footballing genius.  :bowdown

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Mon May 14, 2007 9:40 am

I'd rather the team have a shocker today than in 10 days time.

Farewell Robbie, you are a legend! YNWA
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon May 14, 2007 9:50 am

edited...
Last edited by Redman in wales on Mon May 14, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:46 am

I started a thread elsewhere about a disappointing season, but I think THIS one is the best to continue on my grievances about this season's performances....

1. "This game wasn't about 3rd place. This game wasn't about 3 points from a win."......

FFS, two abysmal performances against Charlton and Fulham. Whether 2nd or 1st places were decided or not; whether Rafa is focusing all his efforts on Athens or not; whether it's an opportunity to blood less experienced players or not.....Bottom line, these guys should be playing for their shirts.
Winning is a habit hard to break. Who's to say that, had we lashed in a half dozen against those two teams (and let's face it, they're both muck), that LFC would not be going to Athens *expecting* to win, not just hoping to win....
When you score, it becomes a habit - you want more, you want to keep it up....

I was watching footage of a 9-0 victory over Crystal Palace at the weekend. Did they stop at 3-0 ? or 4-0 ?....No, it became a habit. WANTING victory, even if the outcome wasn't in doubt....

Man, I sound hormonal today.....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Owzat » Mon May 14, 2007 2:02 pm

We secured a CL place for next season and it's been a disappointing end. We were lucky to get a point and secure third, I think we should be greatful that we managed that even if it means we're FOURTEEN points worse off than last season.

I just hope resting players doesn't cost us, not playing as a unit for a while and having picked up just a single point from games potential champions would be looking at nine from.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion