Prem Luton away Nov 5th 2023

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:03 pm

Pretty poor stuff and I know Luton were up for it but we we still should be taking the points there. Was just waiting for us to get one and kick on but we couldn't pass our way around or create something to make it happen until it was to late. Maybe it was the ground/atmosphere, but so many of our lads were just not good enough today.

Fluminese won the Copa last night so Andre is available. We need to get him because none of our current lot can tackle. Walked over and through time and time again today.  Front lads are so predictable and get easily shut out.  We did have the chances to win that and change the game earlier but for Nunez with some poor finishing. That one from 2yds out will haunt him.

Ali, (7) Not much to do but still was there when he needed to. Unlucky for the goal.

Trent, (5) Isn't the player I thought he would be this season. Looks like he's just going through the motions.
Konate, (6) Good game overall but missed a few challenges.
Virgil, (7) Probably his best game this season. Distributed well but not really tested.
Gomez, (6) Defensively I thought he did good and got up and down as much as he could.

Szoboszlai  (5) Needed a rest anyway but struggled today.
Mc Alister (4)  Needs to adjust himself better to make tackles. Misses next game through suspension.
Gravenberch (5) Good in spurts but struggled mostly.

Jota (5) Anonymous mostly.
Nunez (4) Where do you start  :laugh: Absolutely sublime run to get on the end of trents pass and does everything perfect till the shot, The miss from 2 yds out as well. He should have won us that game.
Salah (5) Poor game from Mo. Looked way off standard today.

Harvey did well and created a few chances when he came on. Gakpo didn't really change things. Delighted for Diaz  :bowdown To come on and score for us given what's going on is just unbelievable.

Not the end of the world but it was a chance to get an advantage and go level with Spurs till they play tomorrow night.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:06 pm

damjan193 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:09 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:02 pm wrote:71 minutes before we registered a shot on target  :down:

That can't be right. Both Jota and Nunez had a shot on target in the first half. Might have been the first shot in the second half.

Wtf, are we gonna lose against Luton?

You could be right Mate, I seen it flash up on the screen around the 69th min but didn't catch what they were saying on the commentary. I do remember Jota having a shot saved in the first few minutes.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:52 pm

Find myself getting so frustrated with Nunez. The guy clearly has ability but the more I see him of him, the more I feel he'll be a scorer of great goals rather than a great goal scorer. With the way we play, our forwards will always get chances and score goals but we need clinical, reliable finishing if we want to challenge for titles. I really don't know how he has missed that one from Salah's nod down (thought he was onside). He can look quite ungainly at times imo and really needs to work on his poise in front of goal. Go 1-0 up and Luton would have had to come out and we'd probably have ended up spanking them. Even though we snatched a draw, this feels a proper stinker of a result against a team who probably already know they are going straight down and are just enjoying the ride in the Premier League.
Doeboy

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:55 pm

As it happens, I was watching some of Torres goals on FB earlier. The fella could bury them, place them, nonchalantly flick them in, or do the spectacular.
You just get the sense Nunez is trying to burst the net every time when a more subtle touch is needed. Thing is, he either hads that ability now, at his age, or he doesn't. I think he falls into the second category...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby kazza » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:48 am

We played a team that parked the bus and played like their life depended on it, it was always going to be a tight match with few chances. On the away kit…. Awful, I hated the original and not sure why we need to bring that back to celebrate the spice boys.

I think with Nunes he’s just mentally weak. He started off brightly and full of confidence, looking like he was going to score. He missed a chance and a couple of passes, the crowd started making fun of him and he seemed to lose his confidence. He seems like the kind of player that looks world class one moment then average the next and I think it is all about his mental state, too inconsistent if we are being fair. I would bet that a some stage in his career he will go on a tear and everyone will start talking about him. He gives his all so hard for me to turn on him.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:48 am

kazza » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:48 am wrote:We played a team that parked the bus and played like their life depended on it, it was always going to be a tight match with few chances. On the away kit…. Awful, I hated the original and not sure why we need to bring that back to celebrate the spice boys.

I think with Nunes he’s just mentally weak. He started off brightly and full of confidence, looking like he was going to score. He missed a chance and a couple of passes, the crowd started making fun of him and he seemed to lose his confidence. He seems like the kind of player that looks world class one moment then average the next and I think it is all about his mental state, too inconsistent if we are being fair. I would bet that a some stage in his career he will go on a tear and everyone will start talking about him. He gives his all so hard for me to turn on him.

Love Nunez but just hoping he doesn't cost us in the future with simple chances.
The lads got talent, we all could see, just has a brain fart in moments.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:56 am

bunglemark2 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:55 pm wrote:As it happens, I was watching some of Torres goals on FB earlier. The fella could bury them, place them, nonchalantly flick them in, or do the spectacular.
You just get the sense Nunez is trying to burst the net every time when a more subtle touch is needed. Thing is, he either hads that ability now, at his age, or he doesn't. I think he falls into the second category...

Even more worrying

His stats for Premier League season 22/23
Shots 84
On target 37
Goals 9
Big Chances Missed 20

While many of us have been inclined to "give the fella time to bed in"  and  " let him get used to the prem" etc etc , his stats for this season, his second in the Prem, suggest you're spot on.

Nunez finishing stats so far in Premier League season 23-24 (not including v Luton)
Shots 32
On target 13
Goals 4
Big Chances Missed 10

I like the fella, his determination can't be questioned. However I did read an article just prior to him signing for us which essentially pointed out that for all his goal scoring in Portugal he was actually erratic with much of his finishing missing many opportunities and needing 3-4 good chances to actually score.
It doesn't seem as though much has changed  :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Doeboy » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:52 am

Thing is I'm pretty convinced Nunez will score plenty of goals for as his ability and the way we look to go at teams means the chances will always be there.  I just have doubts as to whether he'll put away enough of those gilt edge chances that would convert draws/losses into wins for us and if you want to be challenging for the big prizes, it's a must.
Doeboy

Postby Reg » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:13 pm

There is a minimum requirement for an attacker to play for Liverpool.
1. Football intelligence to be in the right place at the right time to create opportunities.
2. The ability to convert an opportunity into a goal, under pressure.
3. 20-30 goals a season.

We had Bobby, Mane and Mo. We need to replace them with players equal or better.
So far Nunez has not shown himself to be equal to Bobby or Mane, never mind Mo.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:17 pm

Everything has already been said !! Two points literally thrown away and let’s face it if it hadn’t been for Lucho it would have been three !! I just hope this doesn’t come back to bite us at the end of the season. We had a ridiculously bad record against teams at the bottom of the table last season and now we very nearly lose to the mighty all conquering Luton  :help
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Tommy Smith » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:23 pm

I can't wait for Jan.2024
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:30 pm

Ironically we ended up making up ground on 2 of the 3 teams above us
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:17 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:30 pm wrote:Ironically we ended up making up ground on 2 of the 3 teams above us

Yup both rivals lost their unbeaten status, just a shame we couldn't snap 3 points.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games