Pre season 2023

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:33 pm

4-2 to us mate
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:36 pm

Left it very late but thankfully we nicked it in the end.  The score isn't important but the mentality picked up from winning is.

What did ye think of the new lads ?
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:43 pm

It’s always difficult in pre season to shine because your fitness & touch isn’t quite there not to mention playing in scratch sides full of youngsters but I thought the new lads did well
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:43 pm wrote:It’s always difficult in pre season to shine because your fitness & touch isn’t quite there not to mention playing in scratch sides full of youngsters but I thought the new lads did well

Thought they were OK myself . It was a good runabout overall to start things off.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:23 pm

Mac Allister looked nice and tidy in that number 10 Role set a few chances up with some nice delicate touches. I'd like to see him more as a box to box more though where he can get involved more.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:32 am

Don't think we can read too much into Trent playing as the DM as we didn't have many other options. Henderson and Fabinho left out ahead of their transfers, Jones and Elliott only join the group today after having a break following England U21 duty, and Bajcetic and Thiago are still completing their rehabilitation from injury and not match ready. Alisson was left out as a precaution and Nat Phillips was left out with rumours that a move to Leeds is getting close. Pitaluga, Adrian, Mrozek and Frauendorf didn't feature.

Team for first half. Interesting to see Bradley play as an inverted RB and come into midfield alongside Trent. Thought he looked pretty good and could prove to be useful cover in that position. Clark looks like he has made a fair bit of progress. Looked bigger and more comfortable amongst the seniors. He started on the right of midfield with Szoboszlai on the left but they switched after the drinks break.                                                   

Kelleher

Bradley               Konate               Van Dijk               Robertson

Clark               Trent               Szoboszlai

Salah               Nunez               Diaz

Team for the second half. I missed most of it but sounds like we dominated the ball better and pinned them back.

Jaros

Gomez               Matip               Quansah               Tsimikas

Mac Allister               McConnell               Scanlon
                                                               (Koumas)

Doak               Gakpo               Jota
Eagle

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:10 pm

Dreadful match so far
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:27 pm

bunglemark2 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:10 pm wrote:Dreadful match so far

:D , For Christs sake Bungle, it's a warm up behind closed doors with our team sprinkled with youngsters against a 2nd tier club. What were you expecting ?

But yeah , it's been a bit dull  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:43 pm

A bit more quality, for a start?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:05 pm

I don't think the quality of opposition this year is good enough to really prep the lads for go time. Still think we will have a few off pace when the time comes.

Think we head back to Liverpool now before heading out to Singapore. Next match is Sunday so I'd imagine we will be leaving Friday morning at the latest.  Hopefully we have a bit of business done by then.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:23 pm

I’ve got relatives in Western Australia who I have visited and that flight to Singapore from the UK is a  right b@stard. about 17 hours if I remember correctly.
I know they’ll be travelling in some sort of super-duper executive class which will help but it’s no wonder Jurgen is not keen on these trips halfway around the world just to play a couple of friendlies.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:42 am

Nice to see Darwin improving his accuracy, that Diaz goal was epic.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:23 pm wrote:I’ve got relatives in Western Australia who I have visited and that flight to Singapore from the UK is a  right b@stard. about 17 hours if I remember correctly.
I know they’ll be travelling in some sort of super-duper executive class which will help but it’s no wonder Jurgen is not keen on these trips halfway around the world just to play a couple of friendlies.

I think if you ask any manager they'd rather not do these trips purely from a footballing perspective. You lose training sessions to flight time and you're dealing with all the physical issues that long haul flying brings with it. But all managers know the commercial reasons clubs do these trips. Jurgen was open about the fact it wasn't ideal that our trip to Thailand last year came early in pre-season which made it difficult for him to his usual early season groundwork and he'd much prefer the commercial tour to come later with the first couple of weeks being based out of the AXA training ground and a European training camp. Well he got his way this year so hopefully the prep is going better.
Eagle

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:41 pm

redshade wrote:Nice to see Darwin improving his accuracy, that Diaz goal was epic.

So far so good anyway. 90mins played in preseason and has 3 goals plus an assist. All his shots have been on target as well so hopefully it's a sign that he has settled.  The first goal he scored though was typical of him last season making the wrong decision. He just looked indecisive and passed to Mo whereas he should have buried it.  Hopefully he has a good season coming up.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:53 pm

Eagle » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:03 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:23 pm wrote:I’ve got relatives in Western Australia who I have visited and that flight to Singapore from the UK is a  right b@stard. about 17 hours if I remember correctly.

I think if you ask any manager they'd rather not do these trips purely from a footballing perspective. You lose training sessions to flight time and you're dealing with all the physical issues that long haul flying brings with it. But all managers know the commercial reasons clubs do these trips. Jurgen was open about the fact it wasn't ideal that our trip to Thailand last year came early in pre-season which made it difficult for him to his usual early season groundwork and he'd much prefer the commercial tour to come later with the first couple of weeks being based out of the AXA training ground and a European training camp. Well he got his way this year so hopefully the prep is going better.

A lot of talk last year about preseason not being right and a big reason why we struggled. Can't use that excuse again imo.  I do think we could have done with at least an extra game though and stiffer competition.

I would have thought the far away trips should be done early with the players back in the UK at least 10 days before the 1st game. We should just about have that this year but hard to see the logic in flying that distance for 5 or 6 days. The lads won't even have time to adjust and they will be back again.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games