Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:15 am

I still think we are short on quality in central midfield.

Would like to see bring jn Bellingham or another young guy who will step up when/if Henderson is injured.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:12 pm

7_Kewell » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:15 am wrote:I still think we are short on quality in central midfield.

Would like to see bring jn Bellingham or another young guy who will step up when/if Henderson is injured.

We already have Keita who is first choice covering Henderson and Thiago and did a good job last year. Hopefully Jones will be a little more fortune with injuries this year and he covers their roles too.

With Elliott and Carvalho, can't see us bringing in a creative midfielder.

We tried to bring in Tchouaméni but he had his heart set on Madrid. But it shows that if there is a chance to bring in a special talent in midfield we'll try to make it happen. Doesn't look like Bellingham will move this year.

Outside of that, we may do some forward planning with Ox, Keita, and Milner all out of contract next summer. The press in Portugal keep linking us to Matheus Nunes and that's the sort of profile of player we're likely to see come in if we do end up with a midfielder. Ox is so low down the pecking order I can imagine he's asked his agent to see if there are any decent clubs who are interested. West Ham have been linked.
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:30 pm

Was having a look at City's squad alongside ours and I think they'll do a bit more business. They are pursing Cucurella of Brighton to provide cover at fullback and I'd think they'll bring one more player in who can play in both midfield and attack.
Attachments
Liverpool vs City.PNG
Liverpool vs City.PNG (9.97 KiB) Viewed 823 times
Eagle

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:08 pm

City have a really strong midfield and I think that was what edged them the title. But they haven't got alot of depth in that area. Phillips is injury prone and Gundagon is knocking on abit now and still picks up the odd knock here and there.

They invested alot in Haaland as a package and he's only played 60 league games over 3 seasons because of injuries.

I genuinely believe our squad in finally strong than theirs.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:21 am

UvS xR4GEx » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:08 pm wrote:City have a really strong midfield and I think that was what edged them the title. But they haven't got alot of depth in that area. Phillips is injury prone and Gundagon is knocking on abit now and still picks up the odd knock here and there.

They invested alot in Haaland as a package and he's only played 60 league games over 3 seasons because of injuries.

I genuinely believe our squad in finally strong than theirs.

I tend to agree, aside from KDB (only due to Thiago’s fitness) there is no one I’d quickly swap with them (maybe also Carson for Adrian at third choice keeper  :cool: ).

We are looking pretty good this year
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:31 pm

Grealish is staring down the barrel of a gun this season, could end up being a superb 100 million failure.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:37 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:37 am

Pearce and others are saying we are not interested in him and I think that is a mistake. His pass completion percentage is good, he doesn’t miss games through injury, he’s 6’1” and definitely has flair. He is ranked first in his league for successful dribbles and has a great engine and he’s 23. Only thing I can think off is an issue with his personality/ability to gel in Klopp’s close knit team. I really think we should let ox go and replace him with him. Both Elliot and Carvalho are characterized as midfielders but they are both small and would never offer the same physical presence of someone over 6’ . I think Klopp is just going to try to replace Bellingham for Ox next summer but we will still have an aging Hendo and Milner will probably move on so there would be space for a midfield replacement this year. Replace Ox now and replace Milner next year, that will lower the average age of our Midfield organically over a couple of seasons.

As I said, it must be something to do with his ability to gel in the team because it seems like a no brainer to me.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:42 am

How smart is it that we're saying "we don't want anyone else, only Jude Bellingham for next season"? He's gonna cost us half a billion if we're so open about wanting him and only him.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:21 am

damjan193 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:42 am wrote:How smart is it that we're saying "we don't want anyone else, only Jude Bellingham for next season"? He's gonna cost us half a billion if we're so open about wanting him and only him.

Additionally if we don’t make CL for whatever reason then he will probably not want to come. If we win the quadruple then he will be begging to come, how is it ever bad to improve the squad.

I read The Hammers are bidding £25 million for Nunes
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:03 pm

damjan193 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:42 am wrote:How smart is it that we're saying "we don't want anyone else, only Jude Bellingham for next season"? He's gonna cost us half a billion if we're so open about wanting him and only him.

Don't think Klopp has said that Bellingham is the only midfielder we'd consider bringing in? Think he's just saying we've had a good look at the market this summer and there isn't anything worth doing at the moment and he's not unhappy with the 8 midfielders we already have. We lost out to Madrid on Tchouameni, but as we'll lose between 1-3 midfielders next summer, I'm sure we're open to doing business on any number of long term targets and have a slightly bloated squad for 12 months, but not bringing in a player because the fans thirst for transfers. You can see his exact comments in the first 2 and half minutes of his Crystal Palace pre-match press conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_LHIwwYf0
Eagle

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:18 pm

Eagle » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:03 pm wrote:

Don't think Klopp has said that Bellingham is the only midfielder we'd consider bringing in? Think he's just saying we've had a good look at the market this summer and there isn't anything worth doing at the moment and he's not unhappy with the 8 midfielders we already have. We lost out to Madrid on Tchouameni, but as we'll lose between 1-3 midfielders next summer, I'm sure we're open to doing business on any number of long term targets and have a slightly bloated squad for 12 months, but not bringing in a player because the fans thirst for transfers. You can see his exact comments in the first 2 and half minutes of his Crystal Palace pre-match press conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_LHIwwYf0

I don’t think it is about the fan’s thirst for transfers but rather fans see a weakness in the squad or a potential time bomb in the making and strengthening now a little might be more prudent than a complete change next summer. We did it for the forwards with Jota, then Diaz and finally Nunes. Buying a young midfielder now to replace ox would make sense. No doubt Ox would want to play regularly.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:49 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:22 pm

Watching Nunes play for Wolves against Spurs and I cannot believe we never went for him when he was begging to join us. He seems like a tidy player, he sold for 37 million which is 20 million less than what we paid for Keita, and the player has been highly durable.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill