Euro 2020

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:10 pm

The European championships has got its group of death, Group F, Germany, France and Portugal
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:20 am

England have got a good chance to win this, tough task against Denmark and an interesting final vs Spain/Italy.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:07 am

From our point of view, it's a bit frustrating that our entire first choice midfield of Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho are still playing in international competitions in July. Klopp said everyone will get at least 3 weeks off so they won't get much of a pre-season.
Eagle

Postby kazza » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:45 am

As usual England did an England! Disappointed that the two players brought on to take a penalty (both ManUre players) one of them replacing Hendo took poor penalties and caused the loss. You need winners taking penalties and they chose two players that have never won anything replacing a CL winner and a premier league winner. You can practice all day long but it is about nerves at that stage in the match and it is why you need winners. Finally, leaving the final penalty to be taken by an 18 old tells me that there were some senior players hiding!

England got an easy draw as they did at the WC yet the team were still hailed as brave, the queen gave Southgate a medal after the WC when they should have ended his contract for under achieving by losing to an average Croatia. Building a team around Harry Kane will not bring success as he is not world class and slows things down, his only real impact was when he came deep and played like a midfielder, since the press love him however, nothing will change for the next WC.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:32 am

Can’t stand the majority of the players and hard as I tried to get into it I’ve got to admit I struggled. I managed to celebrate the first goal but I think it was more of an automatic reaction  than anything else. The hype has been absolutely incredible and having to listen to the likes of Ferdinand and Ian Wright was a thoroughly irksome experience and the less said about Keane and Neville the better. What a thoroughly horrible bunch of useless sh1ts  :help And as for that overrated so-called player of the tournament Sterling I despair. Just where the fk was he last night and when it came to the penalties he simply disappeared. Southgate’s tactics have been boring in the extreme. If he was responsible for choosing the penalty takers and the order they were taken  then quite frankly he should be sacked for that alone. Listening to Neville‘s reasoning was probably some of the most fatuous garbage I’ve heard in a very long time. Let’s face it we only got to the final because of an own goal and a dubious penalty.

I fully accept that we are capable of beating the dross of football which is exactly what we did in the World Cup until we had to play Croatia who were slightly better than average. Exactly the same thing happened in the EURO’s and I think it is fair to say that the only real quality opposition that we faced during the entire competition was Italy. Let’s face it we even struggled against a bang average Scottish team which in itself speaks volumes.

Rant over - glad it’s over !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:35 pm

He made his team too defensive which cost them in the end. Grealish, Sancho, Rashford all on the bench baffled me. The late subs and making them take penos was atrocious.

Southgate will stay but question is will he waste away some of the talent in preference for others.

England will never get a better chance than this.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:33 pm

redshade » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:35 pm wrote:He made his team too defensive which cost them in the end. Grealish, Sancho, Rashford all on the bench baffled me. The late subs and making them take penos was atrocious.

Southgate will stay but question is will he waste away some of the talent in preference for others.

England will never get a better chance than this.

His starting XI consisted of 8 defensive minded players and 3 attacker's and one of those attacker's (Mount) was chosen over the likes of Foden and Sancho because he tracks back! Southgate was way too cautious.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:35 pm

I agree mate, Southgate played it like a mid table side in a good, favourable, FA cup run. Going forward he needs use the talent he has. Each time Grealish came on he looked creative and made a positive impact. If Southgate sticks to his methodology, I can't see him lasting. He had favourable draws in WC and EC.

I find international footy boring and only found it somewhat kind of interesting when the "England" hype kicked in.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:30 pm

redshade » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:35 pm wrote:I agree mate, Southgate played it like a mid table side in a good, favourable, FA cup run. Going forward he needs use the talent he has. Each time Grealish came on he looked creative and made a positive impact. If Southgate sticks to his methodology, I can't see him lasting. He had favourable draws in WC and EC.

I find international footy boring and only found it somewhat kind of interesting when the "England" hype kicked in.

I found it very difficult to get behind this particular England team tbh RS, apart from the embarrassing fan culture which surrounds the national side (all that 10 green bottles, who are ya? No surrender to the IRA etc garbage) there were no Liverpool players in the starting XI either, in fact the team was basically a rep side of players from our direct rivals - City, United, Chelsea and Everton.
Hard work cheering that lot on.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:16 pm

Yup difficult getting behind them for sure, even our Hendo hardly featured and when he did he was strangely taken off.

Had they won it Mannure, Everton fans would've been boasting how "their" players did it.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:33 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9779525/Fans-slate-petulant-disrespectful-England-stars-removing-Euro-2020-runners-medal.html

Petulant!

When they retire, they will brag about reaching the final. Removing the medal immediately is embarrassing as they are insinuating that 2nd is not good enough and that they are all winners when they never won anything before in their careers, like a bunch of childish prima donnas with an unrealistic sense of entitlement. If anything they got lucky as Belgium, Spain, France were all better teams when they shouldn’t be.

As an Englishman I’m a little bothered by the optics of the whole thing, the way they played, the petulant removal of their medals, the  booing of national anthems, the racist abuse of the players, the storming of Wembley by ticketless thugs and the violence that followed after the match. This is what the world saw of England and it was embarrassing and not our finest hour, it was too easy to root for everyone else.

Southgate will probably get Knighted and have his contract extended, especially since Prince William is a Villa fan and obviously clueless about football  :laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:21 am

redshade » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:16 pm wrote:Yup difficult getting behind them for sure, even our Hendo hardly featured and when he did he was strangely taken off.

Had they won it Mannure, Everton fans would've been boasting how "their" players did it.

Yeah exactly. Wouldn't have heard the last of it. If England would have won the reaction would have been ridiculous, the press would have completely lost their sh(I)t, Knighthoods would have been flying around like confetti, the likes of Pickford, the soon to be at Man City Harry Kane, Sterling, Shaw, Maguire et al would have all been lionised as saintly Bobby Moore type figures and revered as giants of the English game, that's without mentioning the outbreak of whopper style "who are ya" let's all get dressed up as crusaders GB news-esque nationalism which would have swept the country. This country actually has a hell of a lot to be proud of (the English language, Shakespeare, the Beatles, giving the world football itself etc etc etc) that often nasty crappy subculture that surrounds the national team isn't one of them though.
Glad it's over and we can get back to watching proper footy.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:10 am

kazza » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:33 am wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9779525/Fans-slate-petulant-disrespectful-England-stars-removing-Euro-2020-runners-medal.html

Petulant!

When they retire, they will brag about reaching the final. Removing the medal immediately is embarrassing as they are insinuating that 2nd is not good enough and that they are all winners when they never won anything before in their careers, like a bunch of childish prima donnas with an unrealistic sense of entitlement. If anything they got lucky as Belgium, Spain, France were all better teams when they shouldn’t be.

As an Englishman I’m a little bothered by the optics of the whole thing, the way they played, the petulant removal of their medals, the  booing of national anthems, the racist abuse of the players, the storming of Wembley by ticketless thugs and the violence that followed after the match. This is what the world saw of England and it was embarrassing and not our finest hour, it was too easy to root for everyone else.

Southgate will probably get Knighted and have his contract extended, especially since Prince William is a Villa fan and obviously clueless about football  :laugh:

Hendo was probably the only one who didn't remove his, not right after at least anyway. The ones who did remove them were mostly players that haven't even won anything in their lives apart from a cup maybe, the likes of Rashford, Kane, Shaw, Saka etc.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion