LIVERPOOL vs Man City 3/01/2019 8pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby parchpea » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Klopp can be too loyal to players we now have it with Henderson and Milner (in the crunch games) before it was Karius. Lovren arguably comes into that.

Maybe the City defeat was a turning point in the same way Real Madrid blasted a massive hole in our weaknesses (at the elite level).
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:41 pm

Yakka we are all entitled to an opinion and talking ***** but mate to suggest City could have scored 5 or 6 goals when they only had 4 shots on target is taking things to a somewhat moronic extreme. Are you trying to compete with Algy ?  :laugh:

City are a very expensively assembled team and there is no getting away from the fact that they are very very good. Give the lads a bit more credit and ffs go and have a beer !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:03 am

devaney » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:41 pm wrote:Yakka we are all entitled to an opinion and talking ***** but mate to suggest City could have scored 5 or 6 goals when they only had 4 shots on target is taking things to a somewhat moronic extreme. Are you trying to compete with Algy ?  :laugh:

City are a very expensively assembled team and there is no getting away from the fact that they are very very good. Give the lads a bit more credit and ffs go and have a beer !!

What have shots on target got to do with it? Sterling put at least a couple wide that should have gone in, that one where Aguero tried to go around Alisson should have probably been a goal too. As I've mentioned before I post on other sites (Boxing ones) where fans who support other teams post and they all thought the scoreline flattered us. Most of them thought we were poor, most of them think we'll choke now as well. I'm not just talking about United and Chelsea fans etc a lot of these lads support teams like Falkirk and Aldershot etc. The general consensus amongst neutrals is that we were well beaten.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:25 am

I'd have to disagree mate i thought we matched City however they had the edge on us. We could've scored on occassions aswel.
Tbf 2-1 was a fair result in the end and the team who performed better won.
Who knows what could've happened had Mane scored or even if Kompany was sent off. Also had Bobby whipped a thunderbolt when they cleared off the line.

City played well but i wouldn't say the scoreline should have been 4-1 or something. We lost against the best assembled team in the league we move on and importantly win against Brighton.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:54 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:03 pm wrote:
devaney » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:41 pm wrote:Yakka we are all entitled to an opinion and talking ***** but mate to suggest City could have scored 5 or 6 goals when they only had 4 shots on target is taking things to a somewhat moronic extreme. Are you trying to compete with Algy ?  :laugh:

What have shots on target got to do with it? Sterling put at least a couple wide that should have gone in, that one where Aguero tried to go around Alisson should have probably been a goal too. As I've mentioned before I post on other sites (Boxing ones) where fans who support other teams post and they all thought the scoreline flattered us. Most of them thought we were poor, most of them think we'll choke now as well. I'm not just talking about United and Chelsea fans etc a lot of these lads support teams like Falkirk and Aldershot etc. The general consensus amongst neutrals is that we were well beaten.

They looked more determined than us and had a little more bite in their tackles (unusually) and generally deserved to win, but if we play them 10 times I am not sure they would win 10 so they are not vastly better than us and I would always fancy our chances when we play them. They got the rub of the green that night and could have all been different had certain things gone our way. Hypothetically had Mane scored we could have gone on to win at a canter. I thought Fernandinho was the difference between the two teams that night who seemed to be everywhere. In another match maybe he does not play as well. I’d guess he will miss some more matches and City will slip up as they did when he was injured. He is the only real enforcer they have and he is critical to how they play. I remain calm and truly believe this is our year despite losing once (2-1 to a billion pound team playing at their ground).
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:34 am

Yakka I couldn’t really give a flying fk what the general concesous is on a Boxing website forum. I watched the matched and to suggest we were well beaten is absolute fkg nonsense. They had 9 shots to our 7 with us having 5 on target and City 4. Both teams according to the BBC stats each had 50% of the play.

Did the team that thrashed Arsenal after going 1-0 down really look like they are going to “bottle” it. We lose one in 21 matches to the most expensively assembled team in UK history and people come out with Sh*t like that !! Did you watch the game or listen to it on the radio?

Mate your negativity this year is becoming downright pathetic. Suggest you stick with your boxing buddies !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:19 pm

devaney » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:34 am wrote:Yakka I couldn’t really give a flying fk what the general concesous is on a Boxing website forum. I watched the matched and to suggest we were well beaten is absolute fkg nonsense. They had 9 shots to our 7 with us having 5 on target and City 4. Both teams according to the BBC stats each had 50% of the play.

Did the team that thrashed Arsenal after going 1-0 down really look like they are going to “bottle” it. We lose one in 21 matches to the most expensively assembled team in UK history and people come out with Sh*t like that !! Did you watch the game or listen to it on the radio?

Mate your negativity this year is becoming downright pathetic. Suggest you stick with your boxing buddies !!

Go watch a highlights package, it's all City. We could barely pass it out of defence until Fabinho came on, Fernandinho totally dominated Henderson et al.
After watching it again though there was a few things where I agree we didn't get the rub of the green, one of them was a little sly dig by Fernandinho on Robertson, Robbo blocked him off but as the 2 of them were going to the floor Fernandinho deffo gave him a bit of a dig in the mush, that could have easily been a red.
Something about their second goal that I never noticed first time around was although Sterling was on side during the build up Aguero was not, Trent came across to mark Aguero but then the ball went out to Sane so he had to leave Aguero and try to get across to Sane. Aguero was off side and if he attracted our only defender on that side of the pitch surely he was interfering with play?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:19 pm

The game is over sunshine. Move on
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:03 pm

We were guilty of paying City far too much respect with our team selection and we afforded them the opportunity to inflict our usual game against ourselves,hopefully this will be the last time we start the game purposely wearing a built up shoe. ???  We made a clearly unfit Milner inclusive in our eleven and retained him until the second half when it was evident to all he was struggling badly with the pace and energy of Cities midfield  in the first 15 mins,evidence enough to withdraw him before City slotted their first.

The general consensus views this as OK dismissing this in light of our recent run ,but in one of our biggest games of the season the impetus we had gained was bizarrely removed by stifling the invention and guile in the middle that makes our triumvirate so potent an attacking force. I mean City are good enough without handing them an unexpected gift in the form of our team sheet.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:31 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:03 pm wrote:We were guilty of paying City far too much respect with our team selection and we afforded them the opportunity to inflict our usual game against ourselves,hopefully this will be the last time we start the game purposely wearing a built up shoe. ???  We made a clearly unfit Milner inclusive in our eleven and retained him until the second half when it was evident to all he was struggling badly with the pace and energy of Cities midfield  in the first 15 mins,evidence enough to withdraw him before City slotted their first.

The general consensus views this as OK dismissing this in light of our recent run ,but in one of our biggest games of the season the impetus we had gained was bizarrely removed by stifling the invention and guile in the middle that makes our triumvirate so potent an attacking force. I mean City are good enough without handing them an unexpected gift in the form of our team sheet.

I totally agree with you RBG and I cannot understand anyone on here who defends a midfield of Gini, Hendo and Milner. We only have to look back at the latter stages of the Champions League last season to see how ineffectual they became. Once we lost the Ox to injury they were overrun against Roma away and in the final the loss of Salah papered over the ineffectiveness of that midfield.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Boocity » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:31 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:03 pm wrote:We were guilty of paying City far too much respect with our team selection and we afforded them the opportunity to inflict our usual game against ourselves,hopefully this will be the last time we start the game purposely wearing a built up shoe. ???  We made a clearly unfit Milner inclusive in our eleven and retained him until the second half when it was evident to all he was struggling badly with the pace and energy of Cities midfield  in the first 15 mins,evidence enough to withdraw him before City slotted their first.

I totally agree with you RBG and I cannot understand anyone on here who defends a midfield of Gini, Hendo and Milner. We only have to look back at the latter stages of the Champions League last season to see how ineffectual they became. Once we lost the Ox to injury they were overrun against Roma away and in the final the loss of Salah papered over the ineffectiveness of that midfield.

Expecting Wijnaldum to compensate for their lack of pace was a thankless task,both Henderson and Milner toiled against a midfield that can shift the ball around quickly.

When all is said and done,the manager opting for Milner over Fabinho was madness and it left our flanks fatally exposed for Sterling and Sane,we just needed an enforcer to break up the play and stop their supply.

Fernandinho is a great player,but if you deny him the space and close him down then he's certainly not as effective as we allowed him to be at the Etihad,I mean even the inclusion of Keita would have meant we had someone to push up against him and close him down.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:39 pm

For me it was a game of fine margins .

Not gonna knock Jurgen but have to say the midfield selection lacked fire and invention.

Hey Ho ! disappointing result but we're still top of the league    :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games