LIVERPOOL vs Man City 3/01/2019 8pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:27 am

Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:13 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 pm wrote:Apparently the last time Wijnaldum, Henderson and Milner played together as a 3 was PSG away, hopefully that result in Paris and this one tonight will make Jurgen reconsider what his 'go-to' midfield is.

Wrong - I’ll let you figure out the more recent important game they played together was

And Klopp doesn’t have “go to “ - he has players and tactics for whatever opposition he is facing

Well he got the selection badly wrong today, the midfield were terrible. So disappointing to see us perform like that in a huge game.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Franky000 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:33 am

It was always going to be tough wasn’t it? Considering how fortunate we’ve been ourselves on occasion (studge v Chelsea for example), I think we can be happy with where we’re at. My specs aren’t totally rose tinted, but let’s look ahead to an exciting season and hope the players can bounce back and keep a run of form going. Also I think an extra addition this jan may be in order for further backup.
Franky000

Postby redshade » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:57 am

I would've like to see Keita feature in this game maybe the pace would've suited him especially the last 20 mins or so.

However saying that the way tackles were flying in he probably would have been more on the floor than on his feet.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:36 am

Unfortunately our unbeaten run came to an end but overall I think the better side won. Not overly better but thought they were 1st to every ball, 1st to every second ball and if there was a 3rd then they were 1st to that also. They were hungrier tonight lads and its no shame losing to a side like that in a tightly contested game. Its how we react that is important and we need to just pick it up and keep going and take heart that we don't have to play them again.

Can't wait till Gomez is back alongside Virgil as they have a much better understanding and his pace off the spot is something Lovren lacks. The Midfield were solid enough in covering spaces but won few challenges and sat very deep at times. Thought that improved when Fab came on but Hendo should have been withdrawn also and Shaq played more centrally. Overall cant really fault a lot as I thought we played well and could have gotten a better result should that bit of luck rubbed our way.

PMSL laughing at Van Dijk towards the end when he looked down the pitch and said WTF is with the sideways shyte  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:01 am

Losing against any other teams still cost us the same 3 points...if we reacted well and win our next 5~6 games, no one will be talking about this any more. Now we get the “invincible” monkey off our back, I hoped this will spur us to a run of consistent solid results without needing to think about always needing to be “perfect”
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:13 am

Yup lads just need a win to begin our next run of victories. It will be interesting to see who we field vs Wolves at the cup game.

I'd give Studge a run and some of the other lads who don't feature often.

From Mane shot to that stones clearance yesterday was not meant to be.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:36 am

You just can’t passed up quality when they are available...we should break our piggy bank and get Matthias de Ligt, and get ourself an out and out No.9. I feel we should be alright in the middle of the field once we have fully bed in Keita and Fabinho
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:30 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 pm wrote:Apparently the last time Wijnaldum, Henderson and Milner played together as a 3 was PSG away, hopefully that result in Paris and this one tonight will make Jurgen reconsider what his 'go-to' midfield is.

Wrong - I’ll let you figure out the more recent important game they played together was

And Klopp doesn’t have “go to “ - he has players and tactics for whatever opposition he is facing

Well he got the selection badly wrong today, the midfield were terrible. So disappointing to see us perform like that in a huge game.

As you appear to be struggling it was the Napoli game when they played together

As per normal you put blinkers on and focus on one area of fault -Milner shouldn’t have played but you could see why Klopp would go to him for this game

But other players on the park were way below their standard -Lovren , Mo , Gini , Mane and Firmino were very poor , we are away to City , it’s going to be tight and when they have the chance to get on the ball they need to ensure it’s meaningful - when they did we create chances but it wasn’t enough

It shows how far we have gone though - that was a very tight game , stats show it tight and on balance of chances we maybe shaded it

But we are still top we plenty games left to go yet
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:56 am

If our owners had invested 1.6 billion pounds then I would expect to beat us as well.

Disappointed but not the end of the world, we’ve had a great run, a great Christmas so now let’s pull up our skirts and win the championship!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:58 am

It's probably best that we are no longer unbeaten, it takes 1 yoke from around are necks and also it won't give other teams the impetus to be the first to beat us. I still believe the selection was wrong, why change a side that has just won 5-1
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 am

Lads we’ve come a long way and if luck had been on our side (starting with Gomez’s injury) things could have been very different. How well do you think the team we fielded in the UEFA Europa League final would have done:

22Mignolet
2ClyneBooked at 90mins
6LovrenBooked at 30mins
4K TouréSubstituted forBentekeat 83'minutes
18Moreno
7Milner
23Can
20LallanaSubstituted forAllenat 73'minutes
11Roberto FirminoSubstituted forOrigiat 69'minutesBooked at 72mins
10Coutinho
15Sturridge
Substitutes
9Benteke
14Henderson
21Leiva
24Allen
27Origi
37Skrtel
52Ward
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 am

Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:48 am

I agree, no need to panic. They had the luck, it was at their ground, they have spent close to a billion pounds in the last 10 years on players and many in the media were calling City the best premier league team of all time. They only just beat us and we will not play a team that good until the CL probably. We have a run of easy games coming up so we get back to business and keep the pressure on the following pack. Would have been incredible to go a season without losing but it will be fantastic to win the league this year. No doubt the players must be irritated they lost but a couple of convincing wins and it will be a footnote. Despite losing all that we said about how good this team is and how good the balance is hold true.

Walk On
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:13 am

As per normal you put blinkers on and focus on one area of fault -Milner shouldn’t have played but you could see why Klopp would go to him for this game

But other players on the park were way below their standard -Lovren , Mo , Gini , Mane and Firmino were very poor , we are away to City , it’s going to be tight and when they have the chance to get on the ball they need to ensure it’s meaningful - when they did we create chances but it wasn’t enough

It shows how far we have gone though - that was a very tight game , stats show it tight and on balance of chances we maybe shaded it

The front 3 were poor because they were so isolated, they were having to chase hopeful punts upfield for most of the night. Lovren was poor too but he was put under pressure by Trent who couldn't handle Sane at all. Just about the only players who emerged from the game with any credit were VVD and Robertson. Our midfield wasn't just poor it was garbage.
The game was lost the moment Jurgen handed the team sheets in, I can understand why he tried to play it cautious but it was never going to work against a City side who were always going to throw the kitchen sink at us, as far as they were concerned the league was on the line last night.
We have a decent record against City over the last 10 years but all our good performances against them have come in games where we have had a right go and put them on the back foot, by trying to play it conservative Jurgen played right into their hands. I wouldn't mind but they had a makeshift back 4 who had never played together before.
What's done is done and we can't change anything now, we are still in a good position, we are 4 points clear and we don't have to play City (or Arsenal) again. City can't stop us winning the title, they need other teams to do them a favour, it's out of their hands.
I'd like to see us sign a quality CM this month, it could be the difference between us winning and losing the title.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:18 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:

The front 3 were poor because they were so isolated, they were having to chase hopeful punts upfield for most of the night. Lovren was poor too but he was put under pressure by Trent who couldn't handle Sane at all. Just about the only players who emerged from the game with any credit were VVD and Robertson. Our midfield wasn't just poor it was garbage.
The game was lost the moment Jurgen handed the team sheets in, I can understand why he tried to play it cautious but it was never going to work against a City side who were always going to throw the kitchen sink at us, as far as they were concerned the league was on the line last night.
We have a decent record against City over the last 10 years but all our good performances against them have come in games where we have had a right go and put them on the back foot, by trying to play it conservative Jurgen played right into their hands. I wouldn't mind but they had a makeshift back 4 who had never played together before.
What's done is done and we can't change anything now, we are still in a good position, we are 4 points clear and we don't have to play City (or Arsenal) again. City can't stop us winning the title, they need other teams to do them a favour, it's out of their hands.
I'd like to see us sign a quality CM this month, it could be the difference between us winning and losing the title.

In a nutshell:
"We have a decent record against City over the last 10 years but all our good performances against them have come in games where we have had a right go and put them on the back foot, by trying to play it conservative Jurgen played right into their hands. I wouldn't mind but they had a makeshift back 4 who had never played together before."
:angry:
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games