Le tallec & pongolle - Raffa's view

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:25 am

RAFA: I WANTED TO TAKE FRENCH GEMS TO SPAIN
Paul Eaton 10 November 2004 
  As Florent Sinama-Pongolle prepares to start against Middlesbrough tonight, boss Rafael Benitez has revealed he'd be a Valencia player now if he had his way. 
Pongolle arrived at Anfield along with fellow French youngster Anthony Le Tallec two summers ago after impressing former manager Gerard Houllier.

The double swoop represented something of a coup for Liverpool at the time with many of Europe's top clubs reportedly interested in signing the pair.

Le Tallec has since moved on a season long loan to St Etienne while Pongolle is itching to impress in the Carling Cup tonight, but Benitez has revealed he wanted to take both players to the Mestalla during his time in charge of Valencia.

"We tried to sign Sinama and Le Tallec for Valencia," he said. "My scout said that he had seen two very good players - but Liverpool paid a lot of money for them so it came to nothing.

"We knew Le Tallec was the best player in the under-17 World Cup, and Sinama was the top scorer. There's definitely the potential there - they are both good players. They need to play at this level and then they will get more confidence."
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:33 am

As usual with GH, he can see talent but can never mould em. It has been repeated stated in this forum that this is the case and both players are further proof.

Once again, we rely on Rafa to not only see the talent, but to mould players to the best they can be. So far so good, so it may be only in a matter of time before we see both players playing on a more regular basis in my oppinion.
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:32 am

apparently ALT was in good form for st ettienne the other day. id bring him back if we can
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby The_Rock » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:45 am

I heard that Rafa shipped La Tallec off becos of his attitude. Not sure if it is true, but if la tellac was still here, the support striker role would be tailor-made for him.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/news.php

Anthony Le Tallec was in good form for St Etienne when he created two goals in the 3-1 win over Creteil in the third round of the French League Cup. 
Le Tallec played as a striker in St Etienne's 4-3-3 system and had an excellent game. This was his first start since returning from an ankle injury and he was impressive.

Le Tallec left the field to a great ovation when he came off 13 minutes from time.
Last edited by The_Rock on Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:08 am

wee_boi888 wrote:As usual with GH, he can see talent but can never mould em. It has been repeated stated in this forum that this is the case and both players are further proof.

I think that is a bit unfair on GH. They were still young under him and although they got limited opportunity under him he could have brought them up into the players he wanted to be.

However I see your point as most players he brought from the French league such as Salif, Diouf, Cheyrou etc failed to materialise, whether you can say they were poor signngs or GH failed to nurture them is a matter of opinion, and we will never really know.

Rafa seems to hae a lot of interest in our young players and giving them expereince in the Carling Cup (and winning the games) can only help these guys confidence and mould them for the future, amny of them may never amount to regular first teamers, but it is nice to know that there is some good young talent coming up through the academy as is tradition at the club.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:15 am

I believe Cheyrou could improve under Rafa and probably fulfill his potential. Diao and Diouf...hopeless, FULL STOP!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:49 am

Cheyrou agreed that he regrets leaving LFC to get first team footie and says he would have been better of staying.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:53 am

Diao can bleedin go hes had his chance to prove himself under the new boss and to get the fans support but hes basically aload of sh.ite. Sooner we get shut the better but dont know who would want him :glare:
I think we should get ALT back the kid has potential him and Mellor could possibly make a good young strike force :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:55 am

LFC#1, I see why you say it is a bit unfair - but GH was never that interested in the academy, i get a feeling that he wasn't very interested in youth at all; whether imported or home grown.

Maybe I am a bit harsh, but I don't believe it is just coincidence that SPG an ALT are growing since he left.
Then again, ALT was loaned last season aswell wasn't he? I guess we cant blame GH for that then...not that their is anything to be blamed i guess...ok im trailing off here but to sum up, i see how it seems unfair, but thats how i see him.
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:59 am

wee_boi888 wrote:Maybe I am a bit harsh, but I don't believe it is just coincidence that SPG an ALT are growing since he left.

You mean FSP surely if you are refering to Florent Sinama Pongolle ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:40 am

SPG=short pacy guy? :O
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:52 am

JBG = Jesus Boring Get.  :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:03 pm

Hmmm... LMC...

Lairy Moaning...

I can't think of anything for the C though :p
ivor_the_injun

Postby Santa » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:17 pm

I can't think of anything for the C though

...I have a couple of suggestions :D  :D
Last edited by Santa on Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:57 am

SPG=FSP my bad :p
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion