Houlliers legacy - Le tallec and pongolle

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:07 pm

I hope we can retain the service's of these talented players and see them blossom into the superstars they will undoubtably become ,its patently obvious these two can play and with the right nurturing develop into superstars ,I pray the new manager will not stifle their progress, as Wenger to
name but one has often stated his admiration ,and to see Arsenal or another team be the beneficaries of Houlliers Legacy would be hard to say the least

:D  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:09 pm

Another issue that needs stressing after Houllier's departure ,is the future of Richie Partridge i know Houllier was willing to offer a new contract ,but since then ive heard nothing in the affimative to suggest he will be . Anyone have any thoughts on this ? :D :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:16 pm

Wake up old chap. Undoubtedly you say? I certainly have my doubts.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Sean » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:55 pm

Whatever about Sinama Pongolle, I have great hopes for Le Tallec.  As for Partridge, I reckon it's probabaly in his own interests to move on.  He has potential but hes not getting any younger.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:12 pm

From www.liverpoolfc.tv :

Liverpool striker Florent Sinama-Pongolle was something of a super sub for France Under-20s when he came off the bench to score a vital goal to help his country through to the semi-final of the Toulon tournament. 
In a must win game for France against Colombia after two successive draws and Sinama-Pongolle made an instant impact upon arrival when he scored a superb goal. Running through on goal, the Reds gem beat the defender and produced a superb finish from a tight angle.

France won the game 2-0 and are now through to the semi-finals of the Toulon Football Festival of Hope tournament.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mrcool2003 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:25 pm

Sinama Pongolle is far better than la tallec, i've seen pongolle, if houllier hadda bothered to put him on and give him a chance from the start we might of won more games, every game i've seen him come on hes made a different, brilliant wee player

i don't think we've seen the best of la tallec yet though, hopefully he'll improve
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:30 pm

Florent Sinama-Pongolle

Strengths: Lovely control and blistering pace. Not a diver, he won several penalties and was also wrongly denied several more.

Weaknesses: Small and slight. His finishing hasn't matched his approach play.

Verdict: Has time on his side and remains a wonderful prospect; it is crazy that some people are judging him and Le Tallec so harshly. From my experience as a striker when stepping up to new levels, I can suggest he is probably coming to terms with the improved quality in goalkeepers he is facing after graduating from youth team football - seems to hit his shots too close to the keepers, which at a lower level of football will be enough to score hatfuls; to beat keepers like Niemi, Cudicini et al you need to find the corners or, fluke aside, you stand no chance. Hasn't had a run in the side to feel confident, nor will sporadic appearances have helped him fully come to terms with the pace and brutality of the Premiership. Despite all that, like Le Tallec he still featured more than expected, and both are huge talents we can hope to enjoy for years to come.

Anthony Le Tallec

Strengths: Vision in abundance and, rare for that kind of deep-lying striker, also exceptional in the air. Can score goals and create them. Not afraid to tackle either.

Weaknesses: Inexperience (of course), and still finding his feet in both first-team football, and football in this country.

Verdict: Excelled in the reserves playing off the main striker - the role we bought him for (but a role which GH never seemed to favour). He needs to come to terms with the pace of the game over here, but there have been some very encouraging signs, even if only in fleeting glimpes for the first team. No lesser man that Zidane said recently that Le Tallec will do well at a club like Liverpool. While it may still be a year or two too soon to see ALT excel, he could still be the surprise package of next season, depending on the formation Benitez opts for. Once it clicks into place, he will soar.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:53 pm

Both are good prospects but will take another couple of years to really be a force, there is no guarantee that they will make it.

Also to talk of any GH legacy is rubbish. Nobody says that Michael Owen is part of the Roy Evans legacy or Robbie Fowler the Souness legacy.

So glad that spoofer is gone.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:18 pm

Big Niall wrote:Also to talk of any GH legacy is rubbish.

do you remeber houllier's final press conference?

he claimed that one of his finest memories as boss was michael owen's winner with his LEFT FOOT against arsenal in the 2001 fa cup final. almost as if to say that it was him who made michael owen a two footed player.

the guy did well for us and won us some trophies. 2001 was my finest year as a liverpool fan (i'm only 22), but houllier has by no means left with a legacy.

:(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:09 pm

I also remember Houllier's last press conference.

He pointed out that he had won 5 "major titles" in one year.

At that point I almost fell off my chair laughing: how the hell could you describe the Charity Shield, the Supercup and, while we're at it, the League Cup, as being "major titles"?

A few days before he was sacked he defended his signing of El Hadj Diouff by claiming that Diouff had helped Liverpool win a "major title": the League Cup!

It remains to be seen what Houllier's legacy will be, but at this juncture we can't really say with any certainty that Pongolle and Le Tallec are going to be successes.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:50 pm

houllier had to go. it was rumoured that his new signings were going to be the following. they wouldn't take us on to the next level.

http://www.laughfc.co.uk/stories/story.php?id=697

:D  :D  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:10 pm

If any fan on this forum can conclusively prove that Houllier was not solely responsible in the recruitment of Le Tallec and Pongolle then i will concede defeat , but that in my opinion confirms they are Houlliers legacy. Please give the man some consideration, he also battled to bring a little known player by the name of Milan Baros abeit much concern from the backroom staff and scouts alike . Im sure we all enjoy good football on this forum ,and im equally as certain we can pick out quality footballer's when we are privileged to witness their talent,:D :D :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:04 pm

Yeah, he had so much faith in Baros that he couldn't get a game due to the prolific Heskey.

Baros could be a great striker, I hope he starts 50 games next year for LFC.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:15 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:If any fan on this forum can conclusively prove that Houllier was not solely responsible in the recruitment of Le Tallec and Pongolle then i will concede defeat , but that in my opinion confirms they are Houlliers legacy. Please give the man some consideration, he also battled to bring a little known player by the name of Milan Baros

And gave him how many starts ???
Foolier did buy some talent, and stuck them in a cupboard.
Like a squirrel hiding his nuts , he might need them someday.
:p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby XSD » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:19 pm

Young players need coaching before just dropping them neck deep in the Premiership.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion