Liverpool V Spurs - EPL - Saturday 2nd April KO: 5.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:10 pm

I thought we did okay. Sakho was a bit erratic which gave our performance a bit of a nervous edge but considering they are 7 places and 17 points ahead of us I thought we gave as good as we got.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:50 pm

post match media confernce

post match press conference

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:07 pm

This may be the cynic in me, but does anyone else think Sturridge may be saving himself for the Euros? Seemed to be very tentative in certain situations almost as though his first and foremost thought was to come through the game unscathed rather than go at full pelt and without worrying about injuries?
Doeboy

Postby Penguins » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:37 am

I think you are overthinking it.
They way he has been playing for a while now plays him out of the Euros.
The competition is tough with Rooney, Kane, Vardy all ahead of him right now imo.
Besides Sturridge has been like this for months now.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:20 am

Fair result. Bit of a shame that more people aren't giving Mign more credit for keeping us in the game. Why is it when a goalie makes a mistake he is castigated and when a striker misses a sitter very little is said? For me are so-called non scoring strikers are a bigger problem than Mign. As for a Midfield that includes Henderson and Milner it simply is not good enough.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:34 am

devaney » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:20 am wrote:Fair result. Bit of a shame that more people aren't giving Mign more credit for keeping us in the game. Why is it when a goalie makes a mistake he is castigated and when a striker misses a sitter very little is said? For me are so-called non scoring strikers are a bigger problem than Mign. As for a Midfield that includes Henderson and Milner it simply is not good enough.

Mingolet was still involved in a lot of scruffy passages of play, even when he clears the ball it never seems to go very far and it always seems to have a weird flight on it. His game would improve immeasurably if he actually learned to kick a ball properly.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:52 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:34 am wrote:
devaney » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:20 am wrote:Fair result. Bit of a shame that more people aren't giving Mign more credit for keeping us in the game. Why is it when a goalie makes a mistake he is castigated and when a striker misses a sitter very little is said? For me are so-called non scoring strikers are a bigger problem than Mign. As for a Midfield that includes Henderson and Milner it simply is not good enough.

Mingolet was still involved in a lot of scruffy passages of play, even when he clears the ball it never seems to go very far and it always seems to have a weird flight on it. His game would improve immeasurably if he actually learned to kick a ball properly.

Bottom line with all his scruffy plays and Sakho erretic at times brain-freeze moments they really held the fort ,Spurs didn't reach a lot of quality chances and Kanes goal was pure quality strike.

We really should have killed the game on the other side of the pitch and we wasted golden opportunities...

Overall Good performance against a very talented and physical team.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:40 am

If Sturridge had put that header away to put us 2-0 up, it was game over. Overall pretty even game.

Thing with spurs is, they are a sum of there collective parts and look a well drilled team. We are not too far behind them imo.

I was comparing the two spines of the teams and I think they have a stronger one than us. Lloris is top draw whereas Mignolet has some real question marks over him. Central defence wise, Alderwierald has been a rock for them and can't believe they got him for only £11m. He edges our central defenders but if Lovren carries on putting in performances like yesterday, he will be our rock. 

In central midfield, Dembele was a powerhouse for them and central midfield is an area I am certain JK will want to improve on. Didn't think we were terrible in central midfield but Dembele was the dominating figure in there.We need a dynamic presence ourselves.

Up front,  goal getting ability wise, no doubt Sturridge can comfortably match Kane however I think Kane seems to have more of an all round game and I think JK will want a striker who not only bangs in the goals but brings other things to the table

Interesting sunmer lies ahead of us
Doeboy

Postby algymoon » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:36 pm

A very bad result, which a game the team should have won easily, however with non existing defence this team will not be able to win matches even if the team 3.0  in lead, and total waste. Liverpool must seriously consider the next season without European football.
algymoon

Postby JC_81 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:38 pm

Not convinced Spurs are a better side than us to be honest.  They are more consistent and grind out results, but I think when we are on song our best is better than their best.  The styles of play are quite similar actually.  I think with a couple of his own players in and a proper pre-season, Klopp will easily have us as a match for them over a season. At the moment Pochettino has simply had more time to get his own players in, get them fitter and put his imprint on the team.

As for yesterday's game, they looked more composed than us on the ball and put in a very good away performance.  But despite that we carved out the better chances and for that reason arguably deserved to win what was quite an even game.  Sturridge had 2 chances he should have put away.  Lallana should have scored one (good save Lloris) and almost had another (excellent save Lloris).  Mignolet made one fantastic save and Alderweireld could have scored from a corner at the death.

Spurs were right up for this and it was a crucial game.  Despite that they didn't have enough to beat us.  We are simmering nicely and I hope we have another few big performances in us for the Dortmund games.

My slight irritation yesterday was the look on Sturridge's gob when he was subbed.  Same as United away.  Frankly he was lucky to still be on the field at that point, he was woeful, so he needs to knuckle down and also show respect for his team mates coming on to replace him.  If he put the effort in and worked the channels like Origi did when he came on then he wouldn't have been subbed.  But, again, he either didn't give 100% or he isn't yet fit.  Because he spends too much time dropping deep wanting ball to feet, which does not make the most of his speed and mobility.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:51 pm

Two sides with a similair footprint and Kane is their Suarez, a clinical finisher in the Fowler mode, one touch and in.

Moreno and Sakho poor and a real weak link and in midfield Spurs have Dembele, a footballer with the energy of Henderson but physically and technically superior. These are things that will be addressed in the summer.

Sturridge still some way off the pace and he didnt look that happy coming off or to be enjoying his football at all, remains to be seen where his future lies.

Mignolet some good and really poor moments, again we need a reliable keeper.

Couthino a shining light and one who will be sought after this window with Lallana non existent, another who could fbe expendable in Klopps new outfit.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games