The most black players fielded in history of the club?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:15 am

In one of the games this season I counted 6 of our outfield players were black:

1. Johnson
2. Toure
3. Sakho
4. Cissokho
5. Moses
6. Sturridge

I'm not sure whether it was Johnson or Sterling... but there were definitely 6. Is this the most number of black players fielded in the club's history?

EDIT: Yup... it was Johnson... against Newcastle on 19 Oct 2013.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:34 pm

This is why things like racism are still active in the UK. Honestly lads, who the hell cares what color they were? They were players that the manager thought that should be on the team sheet that day and that's that.

Now imagine if the topic was about most white players fielded for the club.

Forget about skin color lads.

Also, wasn't there a thread already about this?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:05 pm

damjan193 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:34 pm wrote:This is why things like racism are still active in the UK. Honestly lads, who the hell cares what color they were? They were players that the manager thought that should be on the team sheet that day and that's that.

Now imagine if the topic was about most white players fielded for the club.

Forget about skin color lads.

Also, wasn't there a thread already about this?

This is why? ...  :no

I think you're over-reacting... my post has nothing to do with racism whatsoever... and haven't seen any post on this...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:13 pm

It doesn't lad, I'm not blaming you of anything. But the fact that you and others feel that it's important to point out that people of different color than white have been a part of something is a big reason why things like racism still exist. You have good intentions with this, no doubt, but as long as someone's color is significant to you, racism won't go away. That was my point and I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, it wasn't my intention.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:51 pm

I don't think racism stems from the acceptance that there are different races and cultures in the world. I for one accepts that humans come in different shades and tones like a rainbow and don't pretend to believe otherwise. I don't accept that one race is superior over the other, which is what racism is. I don't condone that one race should enjoy more benefits than others, which is what institutionalized racism is. I, however, accept that there is minority and majority in societies, differences in values and believes between cultures, and that there maybe bias from one culture to the other. When a minority is represented well I find this significant. When Steve Nash, a white person, won 2 MVP's in basketball, a sport dominated by black athletes in recent times, I find it significant. It doesn't mean that I favor white over black or black over white, or that different races should have different rights, which is racism.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm not saying that what you're doing is racism. But I think that it kind of promotes racism. To view someone's color as anything else but an appearance feature is wrong IMO. To praise Steve Nash's achievement because he's white is also wrong. Difference in culture, believes and values is a lot different than difference in skin color. As long as you think that skin color is significant for any kind of success, or anything in general, we won't see improvement with racism, even if your intentions are well meaning.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Focus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:56 am

As a die hard Liverpool fan who wants the club to be PL champions after such a long wait, I can't be ars#d what colour the players are. If they can help us win the PL, to me, it doesn't matter whether all of them are black, white, yellow or even green. It's getting 3 points out of most of our games now is all that matters.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16 am

The players colour probably doesn't assume much importance to those of us who are in the white majority, however I imagine that for fans belonging to a minority group seeing some of their own representing Liverpool is a source of pride and something they might want to comment on.

Nothing wrong with that.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion